billvon

Good for Bush!

During an interview today, the president came very close to admitting he'd made mistakes in his speeches before - specifically, the "bring em on" quote and the "dead or alive" statement. Everyone makes mistakes; the smarter people admit them, learn from them and move on. It looks like Bush is at least heading in the right direction on that front.

>..do YOU?

Well, let's see. Mistakes I've made and what I've learned from them:

-The whole two woman one guy thing sounds MUCH better than it is.

-Big canopies will not always save your ass just because they're big.

-Before you bitch about Sabres to someone make sure the person you're bitching to isn't John LeBlanc.

-Coffee does not counteract alcohol; it just makes you drunk and awake. Chocolate is even worse.

-When you are hiking and you find a big, smooth, flat area that seems like a perfect campsite, determine what made it big and smooth before camping there.

-If you have a golf cart with almost no steering ability, don't let someone push it with their car to 40mph.

>But did he admit it?

He came pretty close. It's certainly a step in the right direction.

"I don't know if you'd call it a regret, but it certainly is a lesson that a president must be mindful of, that the words that you sometimes say. ... I speak plainly sometimes, but you've got to be mindful of the consequences of the words. So put that down. I don't know if you'd call that a confession, a regret, something."

"Sometimes, words have consequences you don't intend them to mean. 'Bring 'em on' is the classic example, when I was really trying to rally the troops and make it clear to them that I fully understood, you know, what a great job they were doing. And those words had an unintended consequence. It kind of, some interpreted it to be defiance in the face of danger. That certainly wasn't the case."

2 stories need to be told:

-When you are hiking and you find a big, smooth, flat area that seems like a perfect campsite, determine what made it big and smooth before camping there.

and

-Before you bitch about Sabres to someone make sure the person you're bitching to isn't John LeBlanc.

:DB|
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

OK this needs to be told:

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

> Along with the one about air dropping the keg in to his campsite
> in the middle of the Mojave desert, as bonus.

It was the Anza Borrego desert, not the Mojave. And the keg in question was eventually recovered. I have the pictures somewhere of the recovery expedition.

>determine what made it big and smooth before camping there.

To put that another way -

If you find a good campsite in the desert, and the lightning in the far distance looks really cool, do not camp in the biggest flattest area at the bottom of the wash - even if it looks like those storms are tens of miles away. (Fortunately the water rose very slowly.)

>Before you bitch about Sabres to someone make sure the person
>you're bitching to isn't John LeBlanc.

While I did indeed start complaining about Sabres to a guy with a high squeaky voice when I had 150 jumps (and thus knew everything) I was smart enough to stop after a few comments, before I put my foot any deeper into my mouth. To his credit, although he was annoyed, he listened to me and told me he disagreed pretty civilly.

I want to hear details about:

-The whole two woman one guy thing sounds MUCH better than it is.

:$B|

or were you just bragging? :P

PS: On a serious note, I must agree with Christel - you guys are happy just because he admits some of his most obvious blunders? Oh, well nobody outside the US can understand why you guys re-elected that man after all he done. You yanks are "different".
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

>or were you just bragging?

If I was bragging, wouldn't I talk about how great it was?

I will admit that I also consider the time I passed up the opportunity to do that again a mistake. But then the long story of the twins was composed of at least 50% mistakes. (Hey, I was 20 at the time.)

>you guys are happy just because he admits some of his most obvious blunders?

It's a start!

Oh Lord, how wonderful! :S
Do you count the dead American bodies in Iraq every day?
How wonderful, he FINALLY will admit: Folks, I am so sorry, I made a mistake!
[:/]

But: He'll admit it! Thats so positive!
:S

Don´t forget the iraqui bodies. Last time i checked the toll was much bigger.

Glad to read you are back.:)

Oh no! Tell me it isn't so, my hero is never wrong. I hang on every word that comes out of your mouth!
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

During an interview today, the president came very close to admitting he'd made mistakes in his speeches before - specifically, the "bring em on" quote and the "dead or alive" statement. Everyone makes mistakes; the smarter people admit them, learn from them and move on. It looks like Bush is at least heading in the right direction on that front.

Confessing mistakes in speeches is a start. Do you think he'll ever admit to having made a mistake in his actions?

Uhmmm, Bill, is being President of the USA an apprentice job...?

Why don't you hear these kind of statements from elected leaders of France, Mexico, Russia, Mongolia, Senegal, South Africa, or some other goddamn' country nooone has ever heart off. What do they know that the President doesn't?

Do we need to lower the intellectual bar (aka expectations) further so that this President has any chance to clear it? Can we next vote Forest Gump into office?

I am sorry, but sometimes apologies won't cut it! There are mistakes, at certain levels, that are unforgiveable.

there is no point in trying to start liking bush.

i knew of this guy who was a thief. once the owners of the house he was in came home. needless to say it was an awkward situation. the guy set them down in the kitchen, made tea for everybody and spent the next two hours talking about the evil effect on your soul and mind of material possessions. he left with as much as he could carry.
he also thought that robbers (with guns) are no good good for nothing freeloaders.
now, is he a good guy?

just relax and prepair for four more years of getting ruthlessly porked

Why don't you hear these kind of statements from elected leaders of France, Mexico, Russia, Mongolia, Senegal, South Africa, or some other goddamn' country nooone has ever heart off. What do they know that the President doesn't?

Probably because they don't have the press corps of the entire friggin world blowning any and all mistakes out of proportion? Just a guess, anyway.

I am sorry, but sometimes apologies won't cut it! There are mistakes, at certain levels, that are unforgiveable.

Perjury, bombing aspirin factories.... oh, I forgot - it was a DEM President that did that, so it's okay then!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706