blitzkrieg

WELCOME TO THE USA!!!

"Welcome to America - now GO HOME!"

I sure don't want any more of that white trash from Eastern Europe coming over here, either.

mh

Wow. As an immigrant from Eastern Europe I would like to ask you to elaborate this statement.

I'm talking about shit from the former Soviet Union; Ukraine, mostly.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I sure don't want any more of that white trash from Eastern Europe coming over here, either.

It would appear that white trash doesn't only come from Eastern Europe.

Ever watch Jerry springer????
I am pretty sure I have seen some White trash around here too;);)

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

Back in the dark ages when I was in college, a group decided to have a language table (we had sit-down dinners). Instead of the usual boring language table where everyone actually spoke the same language, they ensured there were 8 different languages. English, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Czech, German, and Fortran.:ph34r:

FABULOUS idea, Wendy! No, your friends don't sound like geeks at all. Actually, that's a great way to become better exposed to various cultures and different languages.

Thankfully, my parents have always had Peruvian physician friends, but they have often spoken several languages fluently in their homes, including Spanish, English, French, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, German, etc. Most places where I have worked have been quite international, as well, so I've been exposed to American, French, Spanish, Japanese, Indian, Chinese, Russian, British, Thailand, middle-eastern, etc. Always within one company alone!

If more people were exposed to cultural differences in a more enjoyable setting, like a dinner or via close friends, then perhaps their experiences would be of more tolerance and enrichment, instead of unacceptance and fear/dislike of the unknown.

>Guess what, with this train of thought you will be forced to communicate
> with those that dont speak english . . .

. . . which to some is a fate worse than death. Imagine having to learn spanish to speak to people down in otay mesa! (US border crossing) Or french to speak to people in some parts of New Orleans! Or even sign language to speak to deaf people! Oh the horror.

>because they will eventually over run us.

This has been predicted about a dozen times. It used to be the Irish or the Italians or the blacks or the French. Now it's the Mexicans or the Puerto Ricans. We always survive.

There seem to be two factions in the US - people who accept new cultures, languages and peoples and people who fear them. The first group has, so far, always won out (fortunately.) New cultures come to the US, we change them, they change us. Chinatown in Boston isn't much like China, but it isn't much like Boston either - it's a hybrid of the two, and we are better off because of such places. At worst we get new words introduced into our language, words like:

derailleur
rappel
wanderlust
kindergarden
plaza
enterpreneur
mammoth
robot
stampede
prairie
delicatessen

We also get new forms introduced, like the french gendering of words (blond/blonde.)

This will continue. Nowadays more spanish is entering our circulation. Heck, I've never taken a spanish course in my life and I can generally follow a spanish conversation because I hear it so often. Doesn't bother me; I think we are all better off that there are such a mix of languages in the US.

Another nice post Bill much better put than my earlier ramblings.

I guess what a number of people have correctly been saying in this thread, is that ALL countries are or have been populated by immigrants (particularly if you believe that the human race stemmed from a single source - possibly in Affrica).
But as cultures develope and people move they take with them the Best (yes and worst) of their current culture and part of which become embedded in their new adopted home, before some of the residents move on once more and more cultures become enriched.
This is a beautiful thing and often of great benifit to all.

Remember .....Without the Romans, the french would never of had baths (:$) for example

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

[reply I think we are all better off that there are such a mix of languages in the US.

Seems to me like everyone is saying we who speak english should learn to adapt and accept the fact that there are other languages being spoken and that we should learn those languages because of this.

Why should we have to adapt? How about making them learn english? Why should I have to learn the language of someone who just came to this country within the past couple of years when I have been here my entire life?

Why should we be the ones to change? How about applying the same thought process (learning the language) to those that are coming to this country?

>Seems to me like everyone is saying we who speak english should learn
> to adapt . . .

Yes.

> and accept the fact that there are other languages being spoken . . .

Yes.

> and that we should learn those languages because of this.

No. Learn whatever languages you like. It will make you able to communicate with more people. If you don't care about that then don't do it. I only speak two languages at all well (english and french, and I haven't spoken french in about ten years) and I can follow spanish. That's enough for me. If one language is enough for you, then no problem. Just don't be shocked or annoyed when someone else makes the same decision that you do, and decides to not learn another language. It's their choice too.

>Why should we have to adapt? How about making them learn english?

Why? Who cares if some guy in Otay Mesa speaks english or not? If you don't want to talk to him, don't talk to him. If you want to talk to him, learn his language. If he wants to talk to you, feel free to ignore him until he learns yours.

>Why should I have to learn the language of someone who just came
>to this country within the past couple of years when I have been here
> my entire life?

You don't. But if you choose to not learn any other languages, then have the courtesy to not demand of others what you are unwilling to do yourself.

Sorry Billvon, I disagree. My stance as plain and simple as it may be is that this is The United States of America, we speak english here. If you want to live, work and play in this country then you too should learn to speak the language that the majority of the public speaks.

I am repulsed by how many people are willing to accept the fact that it is ok for someone to come to this country and show no effort or interest in learning english.

I think we are all better off that there are such a mix of languages in the US.

Extremely well stated Bill -- diversity is a good thing.

Sorry if this is a repost:

---
In the News: The Year 2029

Ozone created by electric cars now killing millions in the seventh largest country in the world, Mexifornia formally known as California. White minorities still trying to have English recognized as Mexifornia's third language.

Spotted Owl plague threatens northwestern United States crops and livestock.

Baby conceived naturally . . . scientists stumped.

Couple petitions court to reinstate heterosexual marriage.

Last remaining Fundamentalist Muslim dies in the American Territory of the Middle East (formerly known as Iran, Afghanistan, Syria and
Lebanon).

Iraq still closed off; physicists estimate it will take at least 10 more years before radioactivity decreases to safe levels.

France pleads for global help after being overtaken by Jamaica.

Castro finally dies at age 112; Cuban cigars can now be imported legally, but President Chelsea Clinton has banned all smoking.

George Z. Bush says he will run for President in 2036.

Postal Service raises price of first class stamp to $17.89 and reduces mail delivery to Wednesdays only.

85-year, $75.8 billion study: Diet and Exercise is the key to weight loss.

Average weight of Americans drops to 250 lbs.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed, they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.

Massachusetts executes last remaining conservative.

Supreme Court rules punishment of criminals violates their civil rights.

Average height of NBA players now nine feet, seven inches.

New federal law requires that all nail clippers, screwdrivers, fly swatters and rolled-up newspapers must be registered by January 2036.

Congress authorizes direct deposit of formerly illegal political contributions to campaign accounts.

Capitol Hill intern indicted for refusing to have sex with congressman.

IRS sets lowest tax rate at 75 percent.

Florida Democrats still don't know how to use a voting machine while the Republicans continue to disenfranchise voters.

. . =(_8^(1)

Just because someone doesn't speak the language at this exact moment does not mean that they never intend or want to. That's a rash assumption to make. Maybe they're working on it right now. Maybe their English class starts in two weeks. You don't know, so don't assume the worst of everyone.

Just because someone doesn't speak the language at this exact moment does not mean that they never intend or want to. That's a rash assumption to make. Maybe they're working on it right now. Maybe their English class starts in two weeks. You don't know, so don't assume the worst of everyone.

There is a very large group of non-english speaking people in this country that have been here for many many years. They choose not to learn the language because we as a country make it way to easy for them to get by without learning english.

I am a firm believer in that they should be forced to learn the language if they wish to stay here permanently.

They choose not to learn the language because we as a country make it way to easy for them to get by without learning english.

Most of the time (much like the Italians did at the turn of the century), they manage to do so by staying within their community. Those who need to interact with people outside this community tend to learn English quite quickly. The next generation will speak English as a first language. I don't remember having to use my Italian that much in NYC last time I was there...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

You never answered the question that was previously asked. How many languages do you speak fluently?

Not sure exactly why this matters but I speak ONE fluently. But you better bet your ass I would learn whatever one I needed to if i lived somewhere that English was not the predominantly spoken language.

> Sorry Billvon, I disagree. My stance as plain and simple as it may be is
> that this is The United States of America, we speak english here. If you
> want to live, work and play in this country then you too should learn to
> speak the language that the majority of the public speaks.

I agree that people _should_ speak english in that it is a good idea. They should not be forced to speak it any more than you should be forced to learn sign language - even if that means you cannot communicate with 20 million US citizens who are either deaf or profoundly hard of hearing.

>I am repulsed by how many people are willing to accept the fact that it is
> ok for someone to come to this country and show no effort or interest in
>learning english.

And I find such attitudes funny in a land where we destroyed the native peoples and built our nation from bands of immigrants.

May I respectfully suggest... As a first step... That Americans learn to speak English??!!

That's right. "Y'All" don't!

In the meantime (until Salty Pierre of Baton Rouge sounds like a BBC World Service announcer)... Learn to absorb the cultures which come to you, absorb them. Adapt to them... Take what's good from their cultures and show them what's good in yours. THAT is the way of effective and lasting Empire-Building.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.