blitzkrieg

WELCOME TO THE USA!!!

Not sure exactly why this matters

Why would it matter to anyone else what languages that you speak fluently? Well, it doesn't. It's nobody's business. Speak whatever language or languages that you want to speak. That same respect should be given to others.

This thread nicely demonstrates that ignorance and lack of tolerance to other cultures / nations perfectly correlate.

So lets say,

I have two degrees (masters and advanced) and I speak several languages other than English. According to you I am ignorant?;)

If you live in a country that predominantly speaks the english language and you refuse to learn it, then yes, you are ignorant.

If more people were exposed to cultural differences in a more enjoyable setting, like a dinner or via close friends, then perhaps their experiences would be of more tolerance and enrichment, instead of unacceptance and fear/dislike of the unknown.

I couldn't agree more.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

If more people were exposed to cultural differences in a more enjoyable setting, like a dinner or via close friends, then perhaps their experiences would be of more tolerance and enrichment, instead of unacceptance and fear/dislike of the unknown.

I couldn't agree more.

Language and culture are two totally different things.

I couldn't agree more.

Language and culture are two totally different things.

This thread and this discussion is about much more than just the languages that people speak.

Do you expect everyone in Mexico to speak English since they boarder the US and if they want to do business with the US they need to be in English? How would you feel if Mexico came along and said "No more English may be spoken" and you have to learn Spanish if you want to communicte in their country?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Do you expect everyone in Mexico to speak English since they boarder the US and if they want to do business with the US they need to be in English? How would you feel if Mexico came along and said "No more English may be spoken" and you have to learn Spanish if you want to communicte in their country?

I dont expect anyone in Mexico to speak English. If they choose to do so great, if not, fine also. I however, would not expect them to learn English on my behalf. If I lived in Mexico I would do my best to learn THEIR language.

Language and culture are two totally different things

I strongly disagree. A language is the reflection of a culture.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

On a lighter note:)
When you buy a product and it has the directions printed in 3-4 languages do you keep the whole set of instructions for future refernce or just tear off the instructions you can understand:D:D:D

Ever notice when a american is in a foreign country and try's to speak enlish to a local person who speak english the american will start to speak slow and LOUD:S:D:D:D Like it would help the other person suddenly understand english:D:D:D.

R.I.P.

>Why the warning? in this context ignorant isnt a personal attack or insult.

Because:

1) that sort of wording is explicitly prohibited

2) if I let you get away with that, someone else would call someone an ignorant slut, and when I warn THEM against it they'd say "But you let that right/left wing poster call someone else ignorant! Your right/left bias is clearly showing, you f*king hypocrite."

Now, had you said:

"If someone lives in a country that predominantly speaks the english language and they refuse to learn it, then yes, they are ignorant"

that would have been OK. Whenever you find yourself saying "you are a XXX" consider carefully whether you want to post it, or whether it can be reworded so as not to be a personal comment/attack.

so you are telling me that having a conversation or attempting to have a conversation with someone in the usa that speaks spanish is a way to experience their culture? Bullshit. Language has nothing to do with culture.

>Why the warning? in this context ignorant isnt a personal attack or insult.

Because:

1) that sort of wording is explicitly prohibited

then why are there 1744 uses of the word ignorant in the forums? Not being nit picky just pointing something out.

Objection Council was hypothersising

So lets say,

and put wourds into the defendants mouth

According to you I am ignorant?;)

So that doesn't appear to be a personal attack by [funks]. It was a generalisation raised by [AMax]

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

And the person who wrote that appearantly did not think about the fact that only Indians (I don't know if the word is politically correct) are the real americans... they were the original inhabitants, they were murdered and exploited... and still left aside by the US government (that is how I see things, but correct me if I am mistaken). We, Europeans destroyed different cultures centuries ago when we got there... of course now we cannot blame the ascendant... but we should never forget about history. It is the Europeans who went there, who destroyed cultures and murdered the local population, it is the Europeans who became later Americans... now an American is not European any more of course. ... but people seem to forget that we are all equal...

BTW: Americans in general speak other languages badly (that is what I experienced up to now), but the rest of the world speaks English and adapts to them... to their values... I don't want to say bad things about the US, as most people I know who went there loved it, but... it is a pitty that there are conservatists that think they are more than other people, as they live in a countrey where they imposed their own culture... that has become the American culture (or should I say a derive from the European culture).
-------------------------------------------------

No dive, like skydive... wanna bet on it?

The reciprocal is also true. Language and culture are very closely related.

Those who don't want foreigners to change things need to get realistic. Things will change. They have always changed. You are living in a snapshot colored by your own perceptions. It'll be over soon and you'll be dust.

Hardly worth getting upset over. There's really no point in laying in front of this train.

I suggest those who cling to the present should try to get out more.
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

so you are telling me that having a conversation or attempting to have a conversation with someone in the usa that speaks spanish is a way to experience their culture? Bullshit. Language has nothing to do with culture.

Eskimos have several different words for what we call "snow." To us, they all mean "snow", but to them, each is different from the others, representing a different kind of snow. Because their culture is affected by their geographic locale and its inherent climate, the extra thought their culture has put into snow shows up in their language. We don't need several words for snow because our culture is more concerned with when and how much as opposed to what kind.

Of course this is but a single example of how culture can manifest in language.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!