courage

US Tourists Took My Picture :)

Today, when I was down in the lobby after breakfast, walking with Meija, my 6-month old daughter (celebrated her birthday yesterday), I was approached by an american couple (turned out they are from Montana). They asked me very politely if they could take a picture, because, as it turned out, a man walking a child in a stroller was something they had never seen. I found it funny, thoughtprovoking and rather weird. Poor people. Poor men. At least, that was my first thought. That they have to live in a so unmanly society where you're not even allowed to do something so natural and wonderful as to walk your own child. Or perhaps, this is a Montana phenomenon?
By the way, I'm a norwegian living in Sweden, currently at a hotel in Copenhagen, Denmark.

That's good to hear! Just made me wonder since I've been to the US several times, and when I thought about it, I have never seen men push strollers. Not that I have been looking for them either.

Anyway, while we're on the subject of idiots.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1417209;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view

Come on!

PS. I guess I'm not the only guy to browse thru this forum every once in a while:)

You met a couple of idiots, men push strollers here all the time

Seriously.

Instead of their pictures, you should have simply kicked them in the head.:P

Ok, seriously, men are with babies/newborns/toddlers all the time. Walking, changing diapers, bottle feeding, etc. Its not an uncommon thing, especially with the divorce rate.

Even in the "super manly Texas" (I'm guessing at a stereotype from someone outside the US) its very common.

Why does it seem that only the dumbasshats are the only ones that travel outside the US make us all look stupid...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Why does it seem that only the dumbasshats are the only ones that travel outside the US make us all look stupid...

Smart people travel from the U.S. all the time with out being noticed. After all how note worthy is it to see some one minding their own business? Often it is the remarkably beautiful or the remarkably stupid that seem out of place and gets noticed.

that's weird. Maybe they were just tryingto f&*k with your head or something. Are you sure they were Americans?

no it is not unusual to see a man with a baby/toddler in America. hell, we even have those "baby diaper changing stations" in the public mens rooms.:P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I grew up in Montana. Not a Montana thing either. Unless they were from a part of Montana where they simply hadn't seen ANYBODY pushing a baby stroller, which is actually believable.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

Good to hear. But now, there is a storm/hurricane over Denmark. I think it is called "Gudrun". Winds at 35-45 m/s. All flights in and out are cancelled. Electricity is failing, and so far 3 people have been killed by falling trees and roofs torn off. We where heading out for dinner but decided to stay inside. Everyone is adviced to stay indoors due to the high winds.

We've celebrated all her monthly birthdays, and will do so until she is a year old.

weirder than a man pushing a stroller......that's for sure.
Would you really call it a Birthday Party though?

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

We've celebrated all her monthly birthdays, and will do so until she is a year old.

weirder than a man pushing a stroller......that's for sure.
Would you really call it a Birthday Party though?

He-he. Is monthiversary better? It's just a party. All reasons to celebrate are good reasons.:P

Or perhaps, this is a Montana phenomenon?

some 5k/10k running races even have stroller divisions.

You know what? Considering all good answers from the other side of the pond, maybe the Montana couple talked about "in Denmark"?

Whatever...

You know, it's weird because I get told quite often by people (always women, btw) that they aren't used to seeing men as involved with their children as I am.

And I never put him in a stroller. I usually carry him in a Snugli if I'm going anywhere. He loves it, I love it, and my wife says it's a chick magnet.

Fact is, I don't often see the guys doing what I do with my son, and those guys just don't know what they're missing out on.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

You know, it's weird because I get told quite often by people (always women, btw) that they aren't used to seeing men as involved with their children as I am. And I never put him in a stroller. I usually carry him in a Snugli if I'm going anywhere. He loves it, I love it, and my wife says it's a chick magnet. Fact is, I don't often see the guys doing what I do with my son, and those guys just don't know what they're missing out on.

I agree totally. This is something I wouldn't want to miss out on. "Snuglis" are also widely in use over here, although under a different name. Meija and I are out every day in practice to conquer a distant hill. http://www.hangout.no/snugli.jpg

Fact is, I've taken paternity (correct word, right?) leave for 6 months now, starting on January 1. By the way, is this something US guys also do, I mean, taking paternity leave, to take care of domestic business?

Yes, it is not at all unusual to see American men pushing a stroller or with their young children, but...

As an American (who lived in Idaho for seven years, very near Montana) now living in Copenhagen, men pushing baby carriages definitely caught my attention when I first came here. Definitely not enough to take a picture, but it did get my attention, and I guess I would attribute it to a few things.

First of all, yes, I do think there is a somewhat larger percentage of men pushing strollers here.

Secondly, having experienced the mentality of a lot of small town guys in Idaho (no offense to anyone from a small Idahoan town, I'm about to make a sweeping generalization), men in Copenhagen seem more comfortable pushing a baby carriage - it's just what they're supposed to do, not a burden. Yes, there is something ingrained in American culture that says women are responsible for taking care of the children. There are many, many, MANY exceptions to this, but there are still men in America (or at least in small-town Idaho) that this would not only apply to, but who would be happy to tell you that.

And thirdly, part of it is just the European pram in general. Americans very rarely use the same sort of stroller as Europeans - the American version is a lot smaller, and the European one seems old-fashioned or posh, regardless of who is pushing it.

So, no, it is not at all rare to see a man pushing a stroller in the US, but it is noticably more common in Copenhagen than Idaho.

Håber at I overlevede orkanen - det var sindsygt blæsende! :S

(First post in the Speakers' Corner. :D)

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

For sure I've seen men pushing strollers around in the US but I agree that it may not be as common as in Scandinavia. (Definitely not something unusual enough to take a picture. Seems YOU"RE the one who met some unusual people.)

But, most US companies don't have paternity leave and also have much less maternity leave when compared to many other countries. While women are gaining on the equality issue here, it's still more common for us to stay at home and the man to bring home the bacon. Ment still get paid more here on the average (for doing the same job as a woman.) If not, the kid's are being tended to by other family members, babysitters or are in expensive day care.

Ken, congrats again on that beautiful little one!

Klem, Kim

First of all, yes, I do think there is a somewhat larger percentage of men pushing strollers here.

I have no doubt of that - probably a doubling.

Between the historic disposition against men doing the baby stuff and the tendency to drive instead of walk, I'm not sure how many even own a stroller.

Thanks Kim. She certainly is. Here's her blog http://loppisen.blogspot.com/.
I guess where lucky to live over here where we have 390 days to share between us for pat- and maternity leave at 80% of our income up to a certain maximum level. This helps a lot, but it is also something we deserve as we (citizen's of Sweden and Norway) have fought to get it.
Then again, it is not very common for couples over here to share the leave straight down the middle like we do.

....and my wife says it's a chick magnet.

So TRUE!!! With my first son (4y/o) I would get all kinds of women coming up to me. Now, we have 5mo twins (boys) and Wow!! have to carry a stick when I go out for coffee, store, ect. What up with that ladies??? :)

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."