rhino

Total killed in Iraq U.S. 1244 heroes...

> Fungible is a far cry from "just dead bodies that can be replaced with live bodies."

In fact, it is the definition. If you consider people fungible, then dead bodies can be replaced (check out the definition again) with live ones. See, words mean things.

then dead bodies can be replaced (check out the definition again) with live ones. See, words mean things.

fun·gi·ble

2. Interchangeable.

By the definition, live ones can replace live ones, dead ones can replace dead ones... a dead troop is not interchangable with a live troop.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

then dead bodies can be replaced (check out the definition again) with live ones. See, words mean things.

fun·gi·ble

2. Interchangeable.

By the definition, live ones can replace live ones, dead ones can replace dead ones... a dead troop is not interchangable with a live troop.

J

So here we are on Dec 7 2004 the 63rd anniversery of the attack on Pearl Harbor[:/]. We're in another war where our young soldiers and innocent women and children are dying:|

And you all are debateing>:(
fun·gi·ble

2. Interchangeable.
n.
Something that is exchangeable or substitutable. Often used in the plural.

To bad so sad.[:/]

R.I.P.

Hey, someone else started the word games... I'm well aware of the significance of this date... if only the country had the resolve of 63 years ago... sadly it doesn't.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Hey, someone else started the word games... I'm well aware of the significance of this date... if only the country had the resolve of 63 years ago... sadly it doesn't.

Resolve isn't the question, justification is. On this date, Japan gave us as good a reason as there ever was to release the dogs of war. Iraq, on the other hand, has done nothing of the sort.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

The real heros are Iraqi freedom fighters defending their home land against our occupying force. Their 14,000 plus civillian deaths bother me a lot more than 1200 Americans who volunteered and knew what it could lead to.

Defending the Constitution and our Country is noble.

Invading a soverign nation is not.

Wow... I never thought I'd hear that here... I'm totally with you on that thought. I've actually been thinking along the same lines since Afghanistan was was a hot toping in propaganda.

I've been following the politics of the States for a few years now and have come to the conclusion that it's all utter bullshit... nothing more nothing less. Then again it's like that in lots of countries, but that conversation will be for another day.

I guess while I'm here I could go on a bit of a tangent... this phrase "defending freedom" ...like WTF? When was it ever threatened? And was it freedom to begin with anyhow? ...I think that the media's new catch phrase should be something like "Think like they do because you don't care!"

Iraq, on the other hand, has done nothing of the sort.

Of course they have.

Please tell me what Iraq did to us that was on par with Pearl Harbor.

Blues,
Dave

They must have talked Saudi into sending the majority of the troops over to the US to commit 9/11 atrocities. Wait, but Saudi is our ally? W/E.....

Of course they have.

Blues,
Dave

Negative>:( You don't have a "need to know":o If I told you i would have to kill you.:D:D:D

Don't try and confuse the issue with the facts. Baghdad Bob and his clone knows the real deal:|

R.I.P.

I was just stating something that has been true in all wars throughout the history of the world. The commanders at the top have no time to worry about someones kid when the mission at hand is winning the conflict.
If not for the media, the names and faces would for the most part never be known to most. I am glad that the media does show those faces of those who have gave the most as it puts a face on war. The people here in the USA should open their eyes and see what is being lost. The fervor to be a hero is much akin to that of a suicide bomber wanting martyrdom. Go ahead and blast me for that if you want. That is your right.
I fell into it in 1979 and sat off the coast of Iran for 50 some days. We wanted something to happen. The joke was to turn the mideast into a glass factory as we had enough firepower in the Indian Ocean at that time we could had rained pure hell onto them. One night during night-ops a gunship caught a runner on a catwalk and crashed into the side of the ship catching fire. Being that magnisium is a main material on the aircraft there was no hope of putting the fire out nor getting close to pull the pilots out. It was chopped and dropped into the I.O.. We went on our way, cleaned up and back to business. No tears were shed.
It is the business of conflict that one should not worry about the dead but to push foward at all cost. If your child dies, so be it. They died for the greater cause. Whatever that cause is will be decided by the victors and written as such. That is how it as always been. Just pick up any history book.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

As far as the pentagon is concern (sic)

The pentagon is a building. I suspect the political and personal range of the individuals on staff at the Pentagon is as diverse as any other organization with thousands of people. Why I bet some of these people actually have kids and eat regular food in between stealing beans from bums and throwing expensive parties for the express purpose of making champagne toasts "Gentlemen, to Evil" (Simpson's Quote).

Depersonalizing organizations as "the pentagon", "the military at the top", "the government" is an easy way to get sympathy from the ignorant for a discussion. Do you do the same thing with "the Blacks", "the Chinese", "Joe Sixpack", "wing suit flyers", "Democrats", "Republicans"?

But of course we don't hate the people, just the buildings.

It is obvious that you are of little depth as I was speaking in context that the pentagon is an entity such as Ford or General Motors is an entity unto itself.
I also take offense that you, who do not know me, would assume that I would provoke sympathy from the "ignorant" as you call them. FYI the definition of ignorant is as follows; Adjective, Having no knowledge, unlearned. Most here seem to be well learned.
Neil Young

hot action as usual. a few points and questions.

what is a hero? that football player that got killed by one of his own... how did that make him a hero.?
the fire men who ran in the world trade center when it fell, are they heros? how about the people that where there just to work are they heros?

it seems to me this hero stuff gets thrown around kind of loosely.

the war deaths of under 1500 don't seem so bad, in other wars we would loose more guys than that in a day, or week for sure.

back in the 80s and 90's we had more poeple (or heros) murdered each year in nyc.

people see me as a challenge to their balance

"The real heros are Iraqi freedom fighters defending their home land against our occupying force. Their 14,000 plus civillian deaths bother me a lot more than 1200 Americans who volunteered and knew what it could lead to."

In other news today, The EU announced new limits on Trawling.....http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4075351.stm
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Do you have the balls to say that when there isn't a computer screen seperating you from the people you are talking to.

Whatever happened to: "You have the right to freedom of speach, and however much I might disagree with you, I will defend your right to the death" ? :S

The real heros are Iraqi freedom fighters defending their home land against our occupying force. ***

So you idolize the people killing americans?

Do you have the balls to say that when there isn't a computer screen seperating you from the people you are talking to.

Dude, it is the second time you threaten someone on this threads for disagreeing with you (I was the other one). Get a life, you don´t own the truth, and anyway, aren´t you suppose to be fighting for your people´s rights and freedoms, like freedom of speech?

Of course they have.

Blues,
Dave

Iraq has been on the neo-cons hit list for years. Rummy, Rice, asscroft and the gang are trying to bring the Pax Americana state back. Clinton was urged to invade, but he had other things on his plate at the time... or rather other things on interns' clothes... ...welcome back to the cold war everybody...

It is obvious that you are of little depth ... I also take offense that you, .....

Take what you will from it. If stereotyping a huge group of people into a single and extremely uncomplimentary mold is what it takes to show depth, then I'll leave that to the racists and sexist people and also those that do it specifically to make inane political generalizations.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It is obvious that you are of little depth ... I also take offense that you, .....

Take what you will from it. If stereotyping a huge group of people into a single and extremely uncomplimentary mold is what it takes to show depth, then I'll leave that to the racists and sexist people and also those that do it specifically to make inane political generalizations.

So the media also is stereotyping when they report
"The Pentagon says..." or the "The Whitehouse today..." or try this one "The United States announced....." Simply put that is not stereotyping. To stereotype is to say as such that for instance all folks who live in the Ozarks are moonshine drinking hillbillies or that all white people are racist soley because they are white or that all black people are gangbangers. You also refer to me as possiablly being racist. I am deeply offended and have concluded that you are indeed without depth. You seem to be unlearned. I strongly suggest you learn the definition of words you so willingly throw at others. This is my last response to you as I feel that you are only seeking to argue and not discuss an issue on an adult level.
Neil Young

It is most certainly the case that the Pentagon, Whitehouse, Department of State, etc., have official spokespersons who may be considered to express opinions on behalf of the corresponding body.

In this sense the organization itself may be considered to have an official position on events, policies, etc. It is not appropriate to call this "stereotyping".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

that football player that got killed by one of his own... how did that make him a hero?

getting killed by friendly fire (and the Army has reopened the investigation into that incident) did not make him a hero.. leaving a cushy multi million dollar job for the terrible pay and dangers inherent in being a member of a Ranger unit did...

the rest of the doped up, over paid professional sports pansies should have taken note....

Never called you racist, never implied it. I'm drawing a comparison that this type of oversimplification can have the same impact and emotional impact as those types of attitudes. (and apparently the same defensiveness). you are proving it in spades and don't even recognize it.

As far as name calling, reread your last two replies to me. Let alone the amount of cliche retorts.

As for the rest, take what you will from it. The Media is hugely guilty of oversimplifying for political positioning. In fact we all do it.

I'd just as soon you don't engage further on this one, you're taking it much too personal. However, I'd still buy you beer if you ever came to my DZ.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants