SkyDekker

World Supports Kerry

They probably read his plan to tax the hell out of US based multi-nationals and prevent them from optimizing their workforce, thought of how beneficial it would be for non-US based multi-nationals (i.e. for their own nation's companies) and started sending money to Buddhist temples all across the US.

That, among other reasons.
:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

I am wondering what Bush suporters feel is the reason why, as it would appear, the majority of the world population seems to support Kerry?

Most non Yankee fans hate Steinbrenner too. Because he's an asshole? No. Because despite that, his team is usually on top. The US is the top dog and Bush had no reluctatance to demonstrate. No suprise that much of the world wants anyone but him to win.

>Being influenced by opinion polls in foreign nations, such that I change
>my vote here? I think that's a little too far.

Well, we've made it clear that we are willing to invade countries with forms of governments we don't like to 'pre-empt' them doing something bad years in the future. Surely we are sending the clear message that you better be careful who you support or the world WILL get involved, no?

Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 911" is being broadcast on television tonight here in South Africa. Most South Africans are not entirely up to speed on many of the "real truths" about Bush and his administration, and so it's likely that many here will accept this film at face value
...and support Bush a little bit less by tomorrow.;)

-

I did my own little (unscientific) poll today. About half of my colleagues didn't bother to watch F911 last night - most simply lacked the interest. Of the half that did watch, several didn't see it through to the end. Almost without exception, the ones that did watch felt it was a joke and it did not influence them in the slightest. Also almost without exception, people were amazed at what real 'freedom of speech' means and to what extent it is exercised in the US.

I am wondering what Bush suporters feel is the reason why, as it would appear, the majority of the world population seems to support Kerry?

Most non Yankee fans hate Steinbrenner too. Because he's an asshole? No. Because despite that, his team is usually on top. The US is the top dog and Bush had no reluctatance to demonstrate. No suprise that much of the world wants anyone but him to win.

Good analogy, Jason! I agree

Good catchy soundbite. But you are assimilating Bush and the US as being perceived as one entity, which I thinkis incorrect. I think there is lots of love towards the US around the world. The man is another issue.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Good catchy soundbite. But you are assimilating Bush and the US as being perceived as one entity, which I thinkis incorrect. I think there is lots of love towards the US around the world. The man is another issue.

I don't think people hate Jeter or Olerud or almost any individual player besides A-Rod and Sheffield. Just the entity as a whole, and its unholy leader.

Analogies are rarely perfect, but this one is good enough.

I don't think people hate Jeter or Olerud or almost any individual player besides A-Rod and Sheffield. Just the entity as a whole, and its unholy leader.

I actually think (in my personal experience) that the entity is pretty well perceived. The issue is mostly with its "unholy" leader and his foreign affairs policies. In other words, I do believe there is personal resentment towards the administration, not so much towards the country itself (or its people). That's my experience from the few places I've visited lately.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Just the entity as a whole, and its unholy leader.

Analogies are rarely perfect, but this one is good enough.

The one problem with the analogy is that in baseball, in order for there to be winners, there always have to be losers. That's not the case in world politics, but sometimes we seem to behave as though it is.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Interesting theory, but only one data point. It breaks down because it can't explain why Reagan and Bush (41), both of whom were willing to show that the USA was #1, were generally liked and admired by the rest of the world, and Bush(43) was admired for a good response to 9/11 and for liberating Afghanistan. Then he pissed on the rest of the world, so why expect the rest of the world to like it?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The majority of the world population has not tried Heinz mustard like I did going through Dallas Love Field last week. The stuff sucks. Too sweet.[:/]
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Interesting theory, but only one data point. It breaks down because it can't explain why Reagan and Bush (41), both of whom were willing to show that the USA was #1, were generally liked and admired by the rest of the world, and Bush(43) was admired for a good response to 9/11 and for liberating Afghanistan. Then he pissed on the rest of the world, so why expect the rest of the world to like it?

Reagan was well liked? Not my recollection. Maybe now, just as Nixon is no longer considered the scumbag that he was, but then we'd need to wait 20 years to see how GW would be regarded.

The one problem with the analogy is that in baseball, in order for there to be winners, there always have to be losers. That's not the case in world politics, but sometimes we seem to behave as though it is.

Wendy,

I think the world is a zero sum game, at least from the superpower's perspective. When we're no longer dominant, it may no longer be so.

They don't as far as we know. When they have an official poll where everyone in the world votes for Kerry/Bush then you can make that claim. Until then it's pure speculation and a diversion from the fact Kerry is going down tonight.

Forty-two

True, but that would mean that Americans are significantly different in view point from many other Western countries.

I'd definitely say this is true. We have a whole different set of values.

Care to elaborate?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Bush has done something that most would have been afraid to do. He got rid of the next Hitler.

That's a bit of a stretch don't you think? Hussein had been in power for a long time and wasn't getting any younger. If he had aspirations of becoming the next Hitler, what was he waiting for?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Bush has done something that most would have been afraid to do. He got rid of the next Hitler.

That's a bit of a stretch don't you think? Hussein had been in power for a long time and wasn't getting any younger. If he had aspirations of becoming the next Hitler, what was he waiting for?

Perhaps the next Castro would be more accurate?

They don't as far as we know. When they have an official poll where everyone in the world votes for Kerry/Bush then you can make that claim.

I don't like to repeat myself, but perhaps you missed this:

Here's a few articles on the same poll that was conducted in 10 different countries around the world:
http://www.sptimes.com/...orld_s_opinion.shtml
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/.../view/111840/1/.html
http://www.haaretz.com/...n/spages/488983.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/...5221,1327971,00.html

In short, it included Canada, Great Britain, France, Spain, Russia, Mexico, Australia, South Korea, Israel and Japan. Everywhere except Israel and Russia, respondents favour Kerry over Bush. Additionally, the poll showed that while many people don't think fondly GWB, most of them don't extend their dislike to all Americans.
BTW, my guess is that these results have less to do with the appeal Kerry's liberal views may hold for 'left-leaning' countries and more with how they feel about GWB's foreign policy so far.

Of course this poll falls short of 'official' or including everyone in the world, but perhaps you can at least take it as an indicator of how a few parts of the world feel about America and its (potential) president.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/11/01/election.virtual.vote.reut/index.html

When the rest of the world doesn't like you, you might want to stop and think about it.

-R

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

So to break down your post...there was no official poll given to those around the world.

Well, if you feel the need to repeat what I said ("Of course this poll falls short of 'official' or including everyone in the world..."), sure.:P

When the world holds an official poll let me know. Until then it's meaningless.

Interesting that you of all people should discard information because of its questionable validity and means of acquisition. No surprise, but definitely quite amusing.