Brumby

Sabre 2 150

Ive recently got myself a new sabre 2. I pack the thing the same way every time but my opening are never the consistant. Sometimes it will open beautifully and others it opens with either a left 180 or 360. Its never spanked open but im wanting to try and stop the turs if poss.

Any suggestions?

Ive recently got myself a new sabre 2. I pack the thing the same way every time but my opening are never the consistant. Sometimes it will open beautifully and others it opens with either a left 180 or 360. Its never spanked open but im wanting to try and stop the turs if poss.

Any suggestions?

Serious reply? Buy a new canopy. That is simply what the Sabre2 does. I am pretty sure that there are several threads on this.

Jon Le Blanc himself, while giving packing lessons to several friends with Sabre2s at Espace 2005, told us that this canopy can't be packed to give a consistent on heading opening. I am sure that someone will disagree with me though! I put about 10 jumps on a 170 and about 40 on a 150 some time ago and it was the openings that put me off.

Sorry I can't be more positive or helpful.:|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I have exactly the same problem with my ZP EXE 150. Had lines checked and new brake lines put on ... no difference. I'm too nervous to do bigways in case an off-heading opening puts me in someone else's flight path. :|

My conclusion was: new canopy when I can afford it

-Chanti-

try pulling the outer nose cells in front of the others and not rolling the tail too much as that will assymetrically pull on the D lines...

I loved my 150 sabre2. Everyonce in a while I would get a panoramic opening but not consistantly

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I did all my student jumps on a Sabre 2 230. I had the same problem. Initially I thought it was due to body position but then it happened even when I pitched in a very stable position. I asked my rigger and he told me its because of the way air fills into the canopy. Mine would swing me left at first and then swing me to the right. What I do now is immediately grab the rear risers and use it to control my heading.

check near the end of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4arURp4oCtA

and you'll see that my sabreII 150 will do...

The very last opening is my BEST OPENING EVER, so I'm glad I got it on film.

I think there's 4-5 shots of my canopy deploying on this video.

You might want to watch the whole thing, its pretty cool :P
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

nice video indeed. It also seems the last opening is the one where you just put your hands on the risers and not pull on them....
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I've put about 75 jumps on my new S2 150. When I first got it, between fighting it in the bag and it's natural habit of hunting, I got a bunch of off heading openings. Now that it is easier to pack and has got some experience opening, it opens on heading most of the time with a few 90s left or right that are not nearly as brisk as they used to be. I don't try and fly it out of the off heading. Instead, deployment is, Pitch, arch and look at the horizon and fly my body until the canopy is open. I noticed a little unintended harness input can add to/cause the off heading opening. I've always liked the way it flew(minus the opening), now I really just like my S2. YMMV
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

You're right... I always attempt to steer my openings with my rears and my harness when she decides to run away from me...

If you watch the last opening is the only truely on-heading opening and as such I just get to ride... WOO HOO

I'd say that my SabreII opens 25% on heading (<45*), 60% 90* or less, and the last 15% greater than 90*.

DiverDriver in Training

I've been flying this canopy for about 200 jumps now and was 1st in denial of SabreII's tendency to open off heading, but I've found that I can counter it w/ my risers and my harness.

I'd let her fly through opening but I really don't like canopy wraps... especially with Ryan Turner, who sucks at CRW.

DiverDriver in Training

check near the end of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4arURp4oCtA

and you'll see that my sabreII 150 will do...

off topic...

is that my buddy matt swooping his velo in the beginning?

D
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Sorry to be the devil's advocate, but does it really matter if you have an on-heading open with a skydiving canopy? I can see why it is important for BASE, but when you're under canopy at around 3,000 ft, you have plenty of time to steer yourself where you need to go.

Sorry to be the devil's advocate, but does it really matter if you have an on-heading open with a skydiving canopy?

Its kind of handy when you have people that don't track for crap or if you're doing a big way. Its not the end of the world, especially if you have your head on a swivel (as you should) and are quick to grab the rears to steer yourself out of danger.

I nearly had a real serious canopy collision right after deployment after a friend and I didn't track real far then we both had 180 deg openings. It was quick action with rear risers that kept me out of his canopy.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>but does it really matter if you have an on-heading open with a skydiving canopy?

Yep. When jumping with 20 other people, it matters. There will come a day when you track, look left, and see someone 50 feet off to your left side. On that day, an opening that turns 90 left would be bad.

And when you're jumping with 400 other people . . .

Could be...

Sure isn't my buddy Matt... we were just chillin on our tarp by the swoop pond and I wanted a random badass swooping clip in the video.

If it was your friend Matt then power to him! That was a sweet swoop!

Video was shot on either the 30th or 31st of December at Z-hills... looking at the clouds it was probably the 31st but I could be totally full of crap.

DiverDriver in Training

until i realized that i didnt pay attention to my body position on opening, i had off headings on my s2150 as well. now that i have improved my body position throughout the ENTIRE opening sequence, perfect on headings all the time. and by perfecti mean perfect. symmetrical packing helps too.

I reviewed the tape from FL tonight and the swoop shot is immediately after a shot of a group exiting the chopper that I took from the ground...

Sounds like a positive match, dr. (Not many people were jumping with an RDS anywho) :P

If you want a higher res clip I can send it to you... that was a dirty USB download... I have firewire capability. PM me man.

DiverDriver in Training