JohnRich

Bodies of WWI soldiers found in glacier

I think the one that needs to chill is the guy who made up the FUCKED up comment, the frenchy guy, because it is not about the millions of french guys who died in france before they surrendered to nazis. It is you and him who disregard the thousands of GI's that actually tainted the waters of northern france with their blood.
No disrespect was intended in my comment. Nor did I take PJ's statement as anything else than a joke. I am truly aware and grateful of what the US did during WWI and WWII. Once again, it was in reply to PJ's joke. What I wrote should not have been taken seriously. But if you can't help it, then give shit accross the board. And don't point fingers at me for disrespect when you write comments about the French without having a fucking clue of what you are talking about. I HAVE family members who died in WWII, so I am not taking lives lost there lightly. Being French, British, US or any lives.
Once again, no disrespect intended. So everyone (including myself) chill>:(

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

...considering their minimal involvement in the Pacific those losses are even more telling.

It's more telling to consider casualties as a percentage of total population, or as a percentage of able bodied population.

No idea what those figures are, but I'm betting France took more losses figured either way than the US did.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

...the danish "modstandsbevægelse" = (dunno whats it called in english)fight againsttheenemyunion

Yes, I know what you mean (in German: Widerstandsbewegung = like in French La Résistance)

And if your dad didnt have anyproblems by the danes(fighting at the German side),then he has helped the danes

Probably, as during this time, he had lots of blond, good looking Danish girl friends (he told me, when my mother out, this little scallywag!), he was their biggest fan!

B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Hemingway's "A farewell to arms" is great reading on the Italian/Austro-Hungarian front of WWI.:)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Alright now guys, lets keep this thread on topic...the guys in the ice are getting pissed off that your not talking about them

Tell them to keep their cool.. We will be back to them in a sec;)

Tell them to chill?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

it's good that you leap to the defense of US education when your buddies spend so much time slamming it.

You really are having a comprehension problem.

First of all, I don't know which of the people in that discussion you are calling "my buddies", as I don't really know any of them, and have only met one in person.

Second, I said nothing in defense of the U.S. education system. In fact, I explicitly told you I wasn't disputing your fact.

So once again, this is just more evidence of your zeal to use every possible opportunity to bash the U.S.

Grenades aren't sized by "caliber".

This is partially true, Hand(thrown) grenades are not sized by caliber. However there is such a thing as a 40mm grenade(M-203) and a 20mm grenade.

Acknowledged. Those fired from tubes attached to rifles have a "caliber" as part of their nomenclature.

I was thinking of hand-thrown grenades.

In addition to the military designation for those, they are also named according to their look, such as "pineapple", "baseball" or "lemon" grenades. Or the old German "potato masher".

>Because kallend can never pass up an opportunity to bash America.

Congratulations on getting another thread moved. If you can't avoid attacking other people, you're going to get banned from both Speakers and Bonfire.

I admit it was a bit of an attack. But it was Kallend who introduced the off-topic controversy which initiated it.

And I don't think I have ever been responsible for any other thread being moved out of Bonfire. If there has been one, it would have been long ago. This would probably be a first. But I'm not buying beer.

Editted to add:

The above was written before I noticed that Billvon had moved a second thread today ("Ever kill an animal"), because of my response to a personal attack. So that makes two in one day. I'm on a roll...

Hmmm... Austrian, huh?
I thought it was FRENCH soldiers who froze in combat during world wars...
:P

-

Having spent a number of trips to France driving around battlefields from The Great War, Parts I and II, I think the impression that the French soldiers were anything but valiant and tenacious is inaccurate.

The U.S. cemetery at Omaha Beach is very impressive. However, compared to the French military cemeteries on the Western Front, it is about mid-size.

The Americans were engaged in combat for a period of months in 1918, and were very impressed with themselves (not to denigrate anyone who endured that appalling conflict).

The French, OTOH, were engaged in a slugfest/bloodbath for YEARS, enduring despite the (largely successful) German attempt to bleed them white ("weissbluten").

A simplistic view of the failure of France to successfully defend itself against Blitzkrieg on the second go-around may be appealing, but it fails to distinguish between the gallantry of the French fighting men and the incompetence of the French high command.

FWIW, Haig was no prize, either.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Hemingway's "A farewell to arms" is great reading on the Italian/Austro-Hungarian front of WWI.:)

A really good book with insight into the mindset of both the privelaged and peasants which facilitated the war is The Radetzky March by Joseph Roth. Very Tolstoy like in style, but I like his writing better.

Hmmm... Austrian, huh?
I thought it was FRENCH soldiers who froze in combat during world wars...

...while American GIs are sunbathing on the beaches of Northern France...:P

Why is it our fault that we had to liberate you and your beaches -

As Powell said - all we ever asked for in the way of land was enough to bury our dead -

If we were under attack - would france come over and defend us?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Why is it our fault that we had to liberate you and your beaches -

As Powell said - all we ever asked for in the way of land was enough to bury our dead -

If we were under attack - would france come over and defend us?

You can lower your weapon. I have NEVER implied what you mention in your post. I have all the gratitude in the world for the GIs who fell on French soil in WWI & WWII.
Would France come over and defend the US? You can't be serious, can you?
If we are to go back into history, then refer to the Revolutionary wars and Lafayette.

I should have clarified. Today - I was speaking of today, or rather in the last 2 years.

Oh wait - we were attacked -what was Frances stance after that?

hmmm.

Oh comon - it wasn't that harsh - just real.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

I should have clarified. Today - I was speaking of today, or rather in the last 2 years.

hmmm.
France went to Afghanistan (and is still there) alongside the US. With the goal to rout out Al Qaeda and the Taliban, which are responsible for the attack on the US in 2001. Your point?:S

hmmm.
France went to Afghanistan (and is still there) alongside the US. With the goal to rout out Al Qaeda and the Taliban, which are responsible for the attack on the US in 2001. Your point?:S

There are more countries that supported terrorism that were not complying with the UN sanctions than just afganistan.

On the countries that there were lucrative "oil for food" policies - there was denial and absolute resistance.

There are more countries that supported terrorism that were not complying with the UN sanctions than just afganistan.

On the countries that there were lucrative "oil for food" policies - there was denial and absolute resistance***
Please, let's not compare Iraq with Afghanistan and WWI & II.
All the French were saying is YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TO BACK UP INVADING A FOREIGN COUNTRY. And as of today, we still don't...
Now, on a cynical level, of course some French interest were lost after the US invasion. Just like US interests were greatly enhanced by going in.
SO if you tell me that the US went to Iraq SOLELY because of the oil, I'd consider your point that France refused to go in because of its financial interest there.
But if you tell me that the US went in because it was being attacked by Iraq, then I'll stand by what the French government said: there's not enough evidence to back it up to justify invading a foreign country.