b1jercat

Bush's Goon Squad

I saw that too on 60 Minutes II. I'm pretty disappointed, but I'd hardly attribute it to the President.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

but I'd hardly attribute it to the President.

You don't get it do you. Its always the CINC's fault. No matter what it is. Economy down? Its the Pres. Economy up? Its the Pres. Someone way down in the command fucked up? Its the Pres. Too many fad diets? Its the Pres. Spam in your Inbox? Its the Pres...

(clarification for those who don't get it: that was sarcasm, the President, no matter who him or her may be, doesn't have anything to do with it. The CINC can say what should be done, can levy strong penalties, but things will still be done by folks on both sides. Its not a football games, you don't have a 5 yard penilty for roughing the kicker, yes there are "rules" but those are hardily enforced on any side, ever.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

but I'd hardly attribute it to the President.

You don't get it do you. ...

that was sarcasm, ...

You scared me at first...:D I was thinking, "Wait, we usually see things in a similar light...." :D:ph34r:
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I'm not a Bush fan, but he can't be blamed for individual's behaviour. When people are on the sharp end of a conflict, horrible things sometimes happen when they catch each other.

t

Yep, especially when they are 300 yards from the militants on the outskirts of Fallujah, who are firing on them, killing their buddies and the diplomats won't let them defend themselves.

I'm not a Bush fan, but he can't be blamed for individual's behaviour. When people are on the sharp end of a conflict, horrible things sometimes happen when they catch each other.

t

Yep, especially when they are 300 yards from the militants on the outskirts of Fallujah, who are firing on them, killing their buddies and the diplomats won't let them defend themselves.

Or when their country has been invaded by foreigners who have killed over 10 000 civilians in the past year, but I think we see each others point of view.

The closer you are to the front end, the less politics mean. What really matters are those people around you sharing your predicament, cos when everyone else has forgotten about you, those are the people who will fight to keep you alive, regardless of which side you're on.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

t

Bush sent US troops into Iraq under false pretenses. Sign on Harry Truman's desk: "The Buck Stops Here".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Kallend, your continued use of this 'false pretenses' phrase confounds me. Granted, Bush's Iraqi-centric foreign policy counfounded me as well - and continues to do so - but how you expect the CinC to know that the best intelligence organizations in the world are providing him a poor product is beyond me.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

. . . but how you expect the CinC to know that the best intelligence organizations in the world are providing him a poor product is beyond me.

Because I expect our leaders to learn from the mistakes of our past.

Anyone with half of the knowledge of history and world events of a man qualified to sit in the Oval Office should know that intelligence can be misleading. All one need do is look at the Bay of Pigs fiasco in our recent past. Therefore, before going to -war- over the intel, it is of prime importance to be absolutely certain of the accuracy of the intel. Without sending in our own people to verify what we thought we knew and relying on the sources we relyed upon was foolish.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

"Bush sent US troops into Iraq under false pretenses. Sign on Harry Truman's desk: "The Buck Stops Here". "

If I remember correctly, there was pretty uniform agreement about the existence of WMD in Iraq. The only real question was whether or not the UN was going to enforce their own resolution. They chose not to. If you're going to jump on the "false pretenses" bandwagon, make sure you include your buddies in the UN.

>Your inference that any intel is ever 100% is utterly asinine.

How times change. Why, it seems only yesterday when right-wingers were saying "Oh, you believe a loser UN organization over our own intelligence department? Who's more accurate? Bush has access to sources you wouldn't believe." Now it's "Well, of course our intelligence isn't always accurate." I suppose we will have to wait for the next imminent invasion for it to swing back.

Bush sent US troops into Iraq under false pretenses. Sign on Harry Truman's desk: "The Buck Stops Here".

Sign on every desk at the Worl Drade Center -

Oh wait - it's not there anymore.

I think that perhaps we should just apologise to SH & OBL for our tresspasses.

Perhaps we should also make reparations to them. They're such a swell fellows.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Remind me please -- when exactly was OBL in, or associated with, Iraq? I forget.

And how was SH involved with the bombing of the WTC?

They're both bad men, who at least claim to be Muslim. But we can't really say that makes them the same, any more than we can say that Al Sharpton is the same as George Bush because both are men who run for president who claim to be Christian.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Wendy - Just because Kerry is wishy washy - comeon

Remember the Statement: Anyone or any nation that supports terrorism will be dealt with accordinly - That has rung true - We tried to be diplomatic - it didn't work. In some instances it did - Iraq was not one of those. It was ruled by the second most evil terrorist known - so SH was dealt with.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Can anyone clarify to me? I'm confused.

Why is it Harry Truman's fault again????

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Ack - that's actually pretty insightful to my glib/mocking question.... Much of the current world opinion is actually very much tied to our appearance of power and the choices of applying that power - or at least their perception of those choices. Much of that likely did originate with the that particular action and that perception would have escalated over time as groups slowly forget the need for that action and only recall the event itself......

It's a rich tapestry full of inuendos and intricacies.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Anyone or any nation that supports terrorism will be dealt with
>accordinly - That has rung true.

You mean like Sudan? If you think we didn't invade Iraq because it's been in the works for years before 9/11, you are kidding yourself. We invaded per a plan that's been in place for years. There was no connection between Iraq and 9/11, which Bush himself has admitted.

>Economy down? Its the Pres. Economy up? Its the Pres.

No, that's all wrong! If you are a republican and the economy is down, it's just a natural economic swing that the president has no control over. If the economy's up, it is due to the president's tax cuts/financial policy/jobs package. If you are a democrat reverse them.

I know it is sad that people have forgotten the need for that action, even though they were given a choice also, but selected against peace, until the 2nd one was dropped. Still Bill insists that this is part of this thread:|

Don't forget the conspiracies;) that go with those innuendos and intricacies.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon