3 3
df8m1

New AAD made in USA

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Why is it 'bold'?

I would think it very hard, if not impossible to meet the firing parameters for a CYPRES in a car.

It has happened.

About 15 years ago, we had a really busy week at Beiseker, Alberta (3,000 feet above sea level) then we tossed all the student rigs in a van and started driving towards Vancouver, B.C. at sea level. While driving down a steep mountain pass, all dozen Vigils fired!

Kicking Horse Pass is 5,338 feet above sea level.

I vaguely remembered them being vigil 1s.

(edited)
7 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Why is it 'bold'?

I would think it very hard, if not impossible to meet the firing parameters for a CYPRES in a car.

That is true.. firing in the car should not be an issue at all.

The concern is the periodic calibration of the "device" (in an attempt to be brand neutral) and the possibility that it could mistaken changes in altitude during the drive and stop updating.

I recall, going a bit back now, that more then one jumper had "issues" because they turned their device on at their house which was at a lower altitude then the DZ and they did not reset the device once they got to the DZ, rushed to get on a plane, jumped, had a problem and hit the ground.

I think it is bold because if a jumper thinks nothing of driving home with the AAD on, why would they give a second thought about truing it on at home, for what ever reason, and then driving to the DZ which may or may not be at the same altitude, and depending on the speed and grade along the way, it could stop updating the calibration (zeroing itself) and the jumpers first jump would be with a device that thinks the DZ is at a different altitude then it really is.

No device should ever fire in a car, unless that car just rolled out of the back of a Cassa.

Edited by df8m1