SpeedRacer

Gear checks & experienced skydivers

I posted a similar notice on the Safety & Training forum but I wanted to make sure I got everyone's input on this, what with safety day coming up.
I noticed that on many dropzones, the custom of people giving other people gear checks is commonly abandoned after a skydiver is off student status, after which, I guess, you are just expected to give yourself a gear check.
Is this the way its supposed to be, or what? Is this what happens on your DZ? I'd like to hear comments from everyone, especially the more experienced skydivers out there.
-Speed Racer

I guess it all depends on the preference of the individual. I always do a thorough gear check before gearing up to jump. I like to get a pin check before exit, but some airplanes can be so cramped that room to get a check is pretty non-existent. If possible I like to have another jumper give me a check before exit just to be sure the pin hasn't started to work its way out while sitting on the airplane. This is just my preference and I'm sure that others have different practices and opinions on the subject.
Blue Skies,
Adam

I usually ask someone I trust to check my pins for me. By someone I trust, I mean someone I believe will pay attention and take the gear check seriously.
Some people get mad if you just start handling their gear, so please, if you want to give someone a gear check, ask them first. And move your eyes around the plane, just look for stuff. This past season I pointed out to a couple people their cutaway handle tucked under the harness. Not a big deal, unless they have to cut away. I also caught a misrouted chest strap just by looking around the plane, and we all know the bad stuff that happened last year because of those.

Speedracer-
You're right, I *am* a new person to skydiving, however, I wasn't just talking about myself. The guy coaching me and I had a discussion about this just last weekend actually and he said he always gets checked and checks others' in the plane that allow him to. He's got over 2000 jumps. I'm not saying that it probably doesn't happen on occassion, but I think I'm still safe in saying that people, at our DZ at least, are more apt to get checks then not. After all, while sitting there all day waiting for my jump, I don't have much else to do but sit and study the 'skygods' on how they do things :)
Pammi
(Oh, and if you only want to hear from 'experienced' skydivers, you shouldn't say "I'd like to hear comments from everyone..." and I'll know to hush up. I was only honoring your request by saying what I see at our DZ, the same as you gave YOUR observations.)

I still check over my gear (pins, grommets, routing, cypress etc.) each time I pack and before each jump. I try to make sure that I get a pin check before getting into the plane, and check my handles and PC before exiting. I will admit, that there have been a few times I have forgotten the second pin check (already done before putting on the gear, but forgot the one at the plane), but that isn't my standard practice. Most of the time it is my boyfriend checking my pins over and over again before the jump :D

I usually ask someone I trust to check my pins for me. By someone I trust, I mean someone I believe will pay
attention and take the gear check seriously.

I agree here. There are times when I have not asked for a gear check. On the other hand, if I am offered a check, I will allow them to do so if I trust them. I do a good check on the ground when gearing up, and check my straps and handles a few times before it is time to exit. It can also be hard to gear check when you are on a cramped plane as well. I am one who would not like anyone to come up and start opening flaps on my rig without asking, I would never dare to do this to someone else either. My main concern is being confident in knowing what the checker is doing and trusting that they will properly re-secure anything they have opened.
Craig

After all, while sitting there all day waiting for my jump, I don't have much else to do but sit and study the 'skygods' on how they do things

Hey Pammi, it IS amazing how much you can learn about the sport by simply observing! :)

I agree tee, that why I think its important that people hang out around the DZ as much as possible!!-LOL you learn alot that way!
As far as the gear checks go, its up to YOU to have your gear checked. Even if noone else on the plane seems to care or noone else is even doing it you should have someone check your gear! Just dont be afraid to ask! I've always tried to make it a habit to look at other gear on the ride up too, fortunately I have not found anything yet-LOL. Gear checks save lives!
D.Chisolm C-28534
[email protected]
http://www.sunraydesigns.com

I check my gear over completely before I put it on, then ask someone I trust to check me over again before I get on the plane - after the jamup/dirt dive. I then check handles and straps and reach around to feel that the main pin cover is closed, no bridle is exposed and the p/c is tucked into the pouch before I exit.
pull and flare,
lisa

I see Speedy's point in asking for jumpers with more jumps to reply, because after awhile maybe you get more complacent or something...(overconfidence kills by the way) I am not saying anybody does. Just that it might happen...
But I also see Pammi's view that we all might have something valuable to input on this forum. So......on that note, I choose to give MY $.02 too!
I have occasionally gotten on the plane w/out a gear check and realize it on the ride up but usually I remember to get one. I trained at a smaller DZ like Pammi's (very similar in fact) and gear checks were like, ubiquitous, especially on students. I moved on to the bigger DZ and noticed few people getting them except students. I was not fazed, however and before my jump I will ask whoever is handy for a gear check. I prefer to ask someone I really know, who I am jumping with, etc. but if its a solo and there is a stranger next to me I will ask anyway. They will tell you if they don't feel comfy doing it, they might say, "Well, I will give you one but you might want to find somebody better at it than me for another one if you can!" or something of that nature. Usually they are a little surprised and also glad you asked. They will then usually proceed to ask you to give them one! hehe
I also give them to the people I am jumping with. If they haven't asked and its close to boarding time, I say, "Want me to give you a gear check?" I have yet to be refused!
Oh yeah, and never doubt your own eyes, because I was getting ready to walk over to the loading area last weekend and noticed my chest strap misrouted. YIKES!! Whoa, that was a close one. I am sure glad I looked! I used to wonder how anybody could misroute a chest strap....well, I found out! Luckily, it wasn't the HARD way...
Before exit I check my straps and my altimeter, and my handles and PC...a quicker version of the other. Sometimes my jumping buddies (if they are sitting right behind me) will open my reserve flap and check my cypres and reserve pin but not always. They don't ask either, they just go for it. Since they are my pals and I know them, I don't mind.
That is just my inexperienced humble opinion, now let's go give 'em gear check hell at the DZ this weekend!! :D
Sis!

Pin checks are pretty common in the airplane, for everyone.
And, we all try and look out for each other, so if anyone sees something wrong with another person's rig, they would stop the person and fix it. Someone is always rushing to make a load, so s#$@ happens no matter how many jumps you have. I'll tuck in riser covers, adjust a hackey or pilot chute if it doesn't look right, that kind of thing. And others have done the same for me.
Not exactly a formal gear check, but.....

I apologize for getting all 'riled up' earlier...my point I was trying to make was that I wasn't actually talking about my own gear checks, but referring to what I've seen going on at our DZ. I personally can not refer to my own experiences being that I'm still wearing those massive student rigs and get TWO gear checks since I'm still classified as a student (talk about skydiving pergatory! neither a student, or not!). Please don't discount the opinions of those without a large number of jumps tho...sometimes that's out of our control. I've spent countless weekends in the last year at the DZ waiting for a load, so if it were up to me, my number would be much higher, instead, my observance time is the only large number I got for ya.
Again, I'm going to stick my nose in I guess and say that another big factor that should be taken into account is how the people off student status tend to get rushed a bit more to get on a load. They take someone else's spot or get asked to join others unexpectedly, then rush to pack and get to the plane. This is a touchy subject for me because I saw it happen last weekend with Merrick. He took my spot on a load because the winds came up suddenly and the last time I jumped a Manta in high winds, I went backwards. So, he hurried to catch the load and ended up forgetting to get a check. That's why the talk with my coach. I was very upset when he told me (after he was down) because the idea of something happening because he was rushed and forgot was scary (which was his fault too because ultimately we're responsible for ourselves). The coach assured me that he DID do a brief check while in the plane, as he tries to always do with anyone who'll allow it. While just checking the pins is no substitute for an all over gear check, it's better then nothing I suppose.
Anyway...sorry for the long post, and to some, it probably isn't such a big deal, but when it's someone you love so deeply you're talking about, slacking off on safety is NOT an option. And even though not all of you are lucky enough to jump with your significant others, we all tend to care about those we DO jump with, so we owe it to each other to at least offer to check someone if you know they didn't get a chance on the ground.
Pammi

At Skydive Daytona (before it closed) everyone gave everyone gear checks before on the plane and before exit and ESPECIALLY new jumpers. I made the comment once after I'd been off student status for a few jumps and another jumper yelled "hey carrie, did keith (our manager) give you a gear check?" and I yelled, "yea, and so did Bobby, Billy, and Kelly. I got *everyone checkin my ass*." Ha ha ha....it was a joke after that...everyone was checkin my ass. At our DZ, you didn't have to ask, it was just something people did.
In Deland, I haven't seen it as much but still everyone who's jumping with each other, I've noticed usually give each other a gear check. I always have my boyfriend check me just before and then check my hackie again after I stand up just to make sure it's in good since we mostly freefly. Maybe I'm overly cautious but I think gear checks are pretty important:)Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

Last week at Skydance, I was on a Cessna 182 load with 2 other inexperienced jumpers and one guy who has major many jumps. What made the experienced skydiver really cool in my eyes?
Firstly, it was a sunset load, he joined us at the last minute after work, walked up to one of the other *newbie* skydivers who he knew and said 'So, wanna do a 2-way with me?'. Once she got her tongue off the tarmac, she started nodding frantically. :)Secondly, when we were in the air, this guy (his name was Pete) then started doing pin checks on us. He couldn't check me because I was sitting at the back. He actually apologized for not being able to check my pins, and showed me how to reach around and feel them myself.
I really respect people like this who have been in the sport for a long time, and yet still make time for the students.
/s

i live in the UK and gear checks are actually complusory here. if you aren't checked and signed for, u dont get on the plane. personally i actually like this idea since although i like to think i miss nothing i know full well that i only have to miss one thing once for real s@!t to happen.

I noticed that on many dropzones, the custom of people giving other people gear checks is commonly abandoned after a skydiver is off student status, after which, I guess, you are just expected to give yourself a gear check.

This is pretty consistent with what I have seen. Most experienced jumpers give themselves a thorough gear check prior to gearing up, and usually several after gearing up. I, personally, use the 3-3-3 checks. 3 rings, 3 handles(cutaway, reserve, hackey/ripcord/POP depending on type of deployment), 3 fastening points(2 leg straps & chest strap). Once after gearing up, once prior to entering the plane, and again prior to jumprun/exit. I always try to get a reserve pin check prior to exit, but not a main pin. With the type of main closing flap my rig has(2 tuck tabs to secure it), I run the bridle under one of the tuck tabs(rather than between the two) to be sure the flap will open correctly. Unless somebody is very familiar with the exact system, I will NOT let them touch my main flap. Plus, I don't want somebody exposing more bridle than absolutely necessary due the the fact that I do a lot of sitflying.
I have noticed that a lot of people look others over in the plane and check their gear visually. I do something unusual with my chest strap after threading it, and at first glance, it always appears to be misrouted. You would be amazed how often I have people pointing that out or asking me about it. I get tired of explaining what I do with the chest strap, but I would much rather have somebody say something if they are unsure of the safety. I have caught several misrouted chest straps, excessive bridle or PC hanging out, and even once a reserve pin that was about to extract.
When I jump with a regular group, I always have somebody give me a gear check. The one thing that I cannot stand is somebody pawing at my gear without being familiar, or, even worse, without asking. I don't even ask for a gear check if I do not know the person and their familiarity with my gear or similar. Unfortunately, I have seen too many people giving gear checks when they are unfamiliar with the pins, flaps, or deployment type, and not asking about it. If I am not familiar with a setup, I will certainly say so if somebody asks me to give 'em a gear check.

Gear check??? Hell, yes!!! I always check my rig before gearing up and try to ask a more experienced jumper to please check my rig after gearing up... He asked for people with 200 + jumps to reply --- well --- i only have 300 + and I screw up all the time so I try to find a rigger that is experienced packing my reserve (which isn't too hard cause it has been repacked a number of times) and have him give me at least a pin check.. I know a couple of times I've had people with a lot less jumps than myself catch something on the way upstairs and believe me, I'm always grateful...to the tune of at least a six pack...
Triple F