freeflyguy

Would a Whuffo Understand?

I just had to say this. Because most people wouldn't get it.
Last weekend, At sunset, I stepped out of what some people would call a 'perfectly good airplane'. I beg to differ on the existance of perfect airplanes, but Here I was hanging out on my head at 170mph with some guy who goes by the name Frog. He has an exzuberant smile on his face, and just beyond his head, I see the 14,000 foot Mt. Rainier, besided it is a full moon, shineing bright. I screamed at frog to look at the mountain. He was clueless and just smiled more. We let loose of the flower, and flew an amazing sunset on my head.
Gosh, I wonder if Ally Mcbeal was on that night?
Anybody else have any good feeling jumps to tell about?

One of my favorite things to do has always been to climb out of that perfectly good airplane on a sunset load, stop a second and jus look around, look at the sunset as I exit and just think to myself , yeah....................(smiling)..........makes me feel all warm and fuzzy -lmfao
D.Chisolm C-28534
[email protected]
http://www.sunraydesigns.com

jumping from planes is really absurd if you think about it, but it is one of the best, if not the best things you can do for yourself. I think that the nightlife and the commeraderie is even better. I was on the deck looking out over the bonfire just watching people mingling around and talking. It didnt make a difference what they were talking about but everybody was having a great time. There were about 15 students that were up for a bachelor party and they were having a blast, too. Nobody was being a prick because they were tandems. The people that skydive are the best...no matter what you do for a profession, we all have one thing in common that whuffos dont. WE SKYDIVE. when you meet another skydiver, you know that they are a quality person. When you are out in the "real world", its tough to tell who is an asshole and who is genuine. Thats one of the best things about being a skydiver...we share a bond that not to many people can understand.
When I was standing there looking at what was going on for cinqo de mayo...I had a huge shiteating grin on my face. People were asking why I was just standing there smiling, I told them to just look around and check out how cool this is. They agreed. I wasnt even all banged up yet...i was only about 6 beers and 2 tequila shots deep at the time. I love the freakin sport!!!
-Slut
"I'll jump anything!"

People were asking why I was just standing there smiling, I told them to just look around and check out how cool this is.

HELL YEAH! On my last lift, I was sitting up against the pilot's seat, just grinning, looking around at the full load, looking out the window at the sky, feeling the wind from the little window by the pilot whip my hair around, and I turned to my friend, an AFF instructor with an L-4 student in front of him, and I tugged on his sleeve, and I grinned at him and yelled, "I LOVE DOING THIS!" And he grinned back and said, "ME TOO!"
Then I jumped out of the airplane. :)

Everytime somebody asks me why I skydive, I am completely at a loss for words. I can never think of the profound phrases that we all use when we're talking to each other. AND, when asked a technical question about jumping (ie-"What happens if it doesn't open?")at work, I play stupid. I just know I'll have to start at the beginning, explain every piece of gear, and by that time, I'll be all fired up, standing on my desk, wailing about zen, or adrenaline; or I'll have five co-workers with their hands in the air yelling:"ARCH thousand, Two thousand......." In short, NO ONE ELSE WILL EVER UNDERSTAND US. And that's OK with me.
Mike
Hey, I'm not packed,
what's in that one?
Never mind, I'll jump it!

As a matter of fact, I remember being at a work buddy's apartment one night drinking beer. The evening wore on, I was pretty sauced, and the idiot asked me what it felt like to skydive. I didn't realize what he had caused until he was pulling me down from the couch yelling: "DUDE, I've got NEIGHBORS!
Mike
Hey, I'm not packed,
what's in that one?
Never mind, I'll jump it!

As far as that "awesome" feeling goes...I have read from another skydiver once that they jump the sunset load with a fanny pack. When jumpin from 13G, they open there and enjoy the several cans of cerveza that they've put in there and enjoy the 15 min ride down, checkin out the sunset, and enjoying some cold ones.:)Man, I can't wait to start skydiving!! That sounds great!
MORE SKYDIVING PHOTOS ADDED!!!
http://home.woh.rr.com/brandonandlaura/

My best feeling skydive was late last summer, and I had finally gotten past the sick-to-my-stomach feeling of jumping on my own being off student status, so I was really enjoying the day. We had some of our typical afternoon showers that blow through here in Florida, and it was the first load back up after we had been grounded for the storms. As we were nearing 12,000 ft., people started pointing out the window. I looked out, and there was a big, beautiful rainbow glowing over God's great, green earth! It was so cool to look at, because I had never seen a rainbow from the top, only from the bottom. I had the biggest grin on my face as I exited thinking, "I'm falling through the sky, right next to a rainbow"! It was such a beautiful feeling. :)Andrea

That sounds cool, but I don't think you could get away with bringing beer on a skydive at my DZ, or most others for that matter.
I wonder:Since beer is usually sealed in its can or bottle at slightly greater than 1 atm., isn't there a chance that a can of beer might burst at 13K?
Speed Racer
Brew Skies

That sounds cool, but I don't think you could get away with bringing beer on a skydive at my DZ, or most others for that matter.

Speed...you would be VERY suprised to find out who wrote this. It is from a rec.skydiving thread from the earlier 90's. The guy who wrote about this said it is one of this fav things to do.
Also, he said that he likes to go up during hot summer days, do a HAHO and have lunch from a fanny pack under canopy.
I don't think they would really know unless you had a Bud fannypack or an Igloo cooler strapped on your chest.
OOO....how about a Camelbak filled with beer on your back!! Rock on!!!!
MORE SKYDIVING PHOTOS ADDED!!!
http://home.woh.rr.com/brandonandlaura/

I know a whuffo who does understand. Strangely enough, his fear of flying is so big that he would never board a plane, not even if you offer him a lot of money (i did). Still, after 4 months of my being obsessed with skydiving, he's the only one who still likes to listen to my stories & even asks for more. He always tells me: That is so great, I wish I had the guts to try it.
That's my best friend.

Guys, I can vouch for Mike Farmer. He's definitely, umm, err, passionate (yeah, that's the word) when it comes to skydiving. And truth be told, who can blame him or the rest of us.
The best line I heard about trying to explain what we do went like this, "Trying to explain skydiving to a whuffo is like trying to explain sex to a virgin." It just can't be done.
As for the sunset loads, Mike was on the load with me last night and when we exited the airplane it was 10 mintes from dead darkness. Ground was supposed to have some cars ligthing up the landing area and when I got under canopy they had just started driving them to the field (slow pokes).
The view was incredible... So was the ground-rush on landing. I was about to kick a 70-degree carving toggle turn to surf up the headlights of a car when a little voice in my head went "check". I looked over to the hanger to re-assess my altitude and immediately started my flare.
Dead-of-night isn't dangerous, it's that odd window of late twilight that can really throw your depth-perception off.
Be safe & have fun,
Kriszilla

"...can really throw your depth-perception off."
I learned a bit about depth perception this weekend myself. Over water. heh heh. One flip through the risers, then walked right out of it. No pain, but a good reminder of what a femur breaker on dry land would be. And one just a bit low, It would have been fine, but the wind blade caught my end cell, and didn't help things much. Water is a friend and so cool.
It is nice to have the pond, to learn with. The good toe draggers are a kick too. But I need to go look for shoes that dry quicker, or aren't bad to wear wet.

"I LOVE DOING THIS!" And he grinned back and said, "ME TOO!"

Just a few loads ago, I was sitting there in the plane on the way up, and one of the senior jumpers looked at me and said "what are you smiling about"... Just like you've all said so eloquently - I JUST LOVE THIS SPORT!!!!!

Anybody else have any good feeling jumps to tell about?

Hello freeflyguy,
I had one of those moments on holiday in Empuriabrava at Christmas time. It was my first jump from a Turbolet - I dived out flipped over onto my back and watched a skysurfer glide down below me. I turned round, saw a 2-way and then looked across at the Pyranees and the beautiful bay...Ahhhhhh got such a feeling of excitement...and took a big breath of fresh air.
Would love to jump at sunset in some beautiful warm country...
Joolee
p.s I don't know where the notion of a "perfectly good aeroplane" came from but it's certainly instilled in people who do not jump! When I had to exit a Dornier because one of the engines had stopped I was very grateful that I was in it only to Skydive not for a pleasure flight! (It turned out to be the fault of a jumper who had leaned on the engine shut off button but that's not the point...:)

Hey Joolee,
Empuria has to be one of the best eh? When I went at Xmas it was my first time there....I just have this really vivid memory of jumping with my boyfriend for the first time in ages. England was freezing, and we got out of the plane in Spain into this gentle warm air, Pyrenees in the background, some hazy cloud around their peaks, bright blue sea behind....and my bloke in mid-air in front of me! It's quite surreal sometimes when you stop and think.
We didn't even do anything on the skydive, just got out, looked around, had a quick snog and grinned our tits off for 10,000 feet! It still makes me smile.
And since you're British you'll know how cool it is for Cat 8s being able to jump together in Spain? Seeing my 2 Cat 8 friends in freefall for the first time on a totally funnelled 3-way exit that ended up head-down (huh...was supposed to be a star. A flat one at that), my friend flying towards me laughing so hard she was crying....
Whuffos can keep their weekend DIY and tanning by the pool in Majorca once a year..;)If you don't skydive you really don't understand....
I also find it's difficult for people who've only done a tandem to really appreciate what it's all about. I did a tandem last weekend cos one of the instructors needed to renew his license, and I really felt like, 'Oh...was that it?' It was still a buzz and that, but nothing like the feeling of flying when you do it yourself - it's such a shame 95% of tandem passengers swear they'll be back to do AFF and then disappear, never to return again. They seem so enthusistic and then .....nothing.
Oh well.
More slots for us! ;)
Emma