Michele

AFF Level III (and IV?) Wednesday

I just made the reservation for tomorrow at Perris for AFF Level III (and if all goes well, Level IV). Anyone know what I should expect? All it says in my brochure is "2 jm's, 90 degree turns, expanded air awareness, spotting, canpoy control, positive stability, complete review and more!". What's "and more..."? For that matter, what's spotting? expanded air awareness? etc.
Also, on my last jump I had difficulty in getting out of the door - I mean a really hard time. I made my jm's and videographer wait 27 seconds (by the VCR's count) before we jumped. I apologized to my JM's and Koji (vid), and my JM said he was getting ready to help me. Which means toss my tuckus right out the door, I think. Anyone have any hints as to helping me out the door, aside from throwing my ass right out?
bleau cieux -
Michele

ooh, that is the fun one where they release you for the first time if all goes well - that was my favorite AFF jump of them all.
Spotting is when you look out of the aircraft to check to see if you are leaving the plane when you should be. Usually there is a predetermined spot("the spot") based on winds aloft and where jumpers from prior loads have landed, etc. Most of the time it seems to me that the pilot does the spotting, but it is always smart to check "the spot" to make sure that you aren't getting out somplace that you shouldn't be....usually the person closest to the door (or a more experienced jumper) looks out and lets the pilot know if they need to make corrections...that's all it is, but it's important and I don't think that most people are taught to do it very well.
As for getting out of the door, I used to do all kinds of crazy stuff like that. Just be ready and relax and go - you don't need to make a big deal out of the exit. Just get yourself in the door, do your check-ins/outs and go. I can't give any other advice than that. All I can say is that you'll look back one day and laugh because it took you 27 seconds to get out the door because it's just going to get easier and easier. I failed level 1 twice!!! because I couldn't arch and I insisted that I just couldn't do it and that it was too hard, blah, blah, blah and now I laugh at myself because I made it a lot harder for myself (and my JM's) than it needed to be. Try not to let your brain go into overload mode (like I did) - just get in the door, check-in/out and jump - sounds easy, but I know where you're coming from.
Listen to your JM's - they are there to show you the ropes...
Rhonda

Level III is the first release dive. You will be expected to be very altitude aware and also to be very aware of your heading. Basically after you exit, do your COA and PRCP, you will do a new maneuver called "toe taps" (you will also learn the hand signal for that) after which your JMs will release you. You will have to perform "hoover control" another new maneuver which is really just keeping stability and a heading (falling down the elevator shaft or also know as flying your column of air). You will be between both of your JMs so just keep watching your heading and check your altitude very often (at least every 5 sec.).
About getting in the door, try to walk up to it, place your hands where they need to be first and than position your feet. Keep your eyes looking forward (possibly at the prop) as opposed to down. Oh, and remember that the inside JM has a firm grip on you, so that should be re-assuring.

Hey Michele-
I'll be right up there with ya. I'm doing my Level 2, 3 and maybe even 4 wednesday up at Byron(weather permitting, of course!!!) when you're up at altitude, look to the north and gimme a wave!!! Good luck.
If you're in the pub for happy hour tomorrow we can chat about our jumps!!!!
Blues,
Jack
-------------------------------
http://www.oneeyedjackproductions.com

Anyone know what I should expect?

ONE HELL OF GOOD TIME!!!!!! Cant help you too much on the L3. I went through AFP coarse so my L3 was with 1 J/M and my released jump wwas L4. However I had what people call DOOR DEMONS, which is when that door came open I got realllllly nervous. But once I was out on the strut everything was great. Took me till about jump 12 to get get rid of them(the demons). But listen to everbody when they say RELAX......IT ONLY KEEPS ON GETTING BETTER!!!!
GOOD LUCK
JASON

Hey Michelle, best of luck on those jumps! It’s been awhile for me, but level 3 is the one I remember the most, cause it was the first time I saw another person out in front of me, not holding on, but just floating out there! You’re going to LOVE it! As far as problems in the door, well, sorry, I’m the LAST person to answer that question, cause I’m trying to figure that one out myself. But I at least have enough experience say that level 3 ain’t to hard, so have fun!! Oh, yeah, to answer your question about “and more”, I don’t have any idea. It was about as simple as you described it said in your brochure. Maybe it was just a “catch all” or something. My opinion is that lev. 3 is just kind of a “get used to being up there” kind of jump. That was how I felt about it anyway.
Later, Josh

Just did L-3 yesterday. AFP, but unlike above, it was my release jump. Easiest FF you'll ever do. Just exit, arch, maintain heading, and relax....ride the elevator straight down to the deck. Oh yeah...AND PULL! That's all there is to it. L-4, for me at least, is 90 degree no contact turns down to 6 grand with a redock in between each. Hoping to do that tomorrow as long as my knee's not still sore from my ugly ass early flare yesterday.

Hey Michele,
That's a cool skydive. Take out a good stable exit and like the other's had said, relax..... Remember altitude awareness and enjoy the freefall. Level IV is a nice jump, too. As I can remember, I bombed that one. Got all unstable and shit, and then went into a slow left hand turn. Video revealed that I had my right knee down slightly which caused the turn. Basically I had a shitty arch. I think you'll do much better. Good luck and post your jump stories!B|

Hi phillykev,
Thats cool though you got released on L3.
My coarse went like:
L1= Tandem
L2= Tandem -learn tracking, counterturns,PRCP's,altawar, pull RC
L3= First solo JM hold, heading, COA's, alt aware, pull RC
L4= COA, JM release, toe tap, 360 lft, 360rt, pull
L5= Solo exit, JM docks, 90lt,90rt, redock with JM(forwardmovement), 360lt, redock with JM, seperate, track for 3 count, pull
L6= Solo exit, stable position, backloop, stable, backloop, stable, track, pull
L7= Superman exit, front flip out the plane, 360lt,360rt, backflip, track, pull.
All steps of coarse done while maintaining a heading. Any way that was pretty much my coarse, at least what I remeber. There was also some trim control and other little things I cant quite remember which level they were in .

Hi Michele.... I posted in your last entry about your second jump with the tale of how I chickened out of my second jump by cowering behind the pilot's seat saying "No I can't do this".... I had looked out the door too soon I think and all I saw was freaking cloud and grey-white and noisy wind and I thought "There's no f#@king way I'm going out there!"... then I was mad with myself the whole way down and went back the next weekend and up again feeling not as nervous, and having decided to not look out the door this time until the "Head Out!" part of the exit count, waddled over to the door, sandwiched by the two JMs, then sat there doing nothing with, according to those who could see it, a look of terror on my face... I had started thinking of 'out there'... thinking of being scared, so I stopped myself thinking and finished the exit count and stepped out into the sweet nothingness... and I was fine (in my mind if not in my arch!)... and then I landed and turned into wobbly jelly girl and melted onto the soft dirt and then rolled over because I'd forgotten to collapse the canopy properly and it pulled me back and I did a face plant in the dirt! and then I couldn't stop laughing until one of my JMs came over to pull me up!
The absolute hardest thing for me to conquer is getting out the door... I've decided to think of the sky as my friend, a big welcoming entity... I know I can remember what I need to do, I just need to make the decision to go out that door! As my JM said, skydiving is 90% mind stuff, 10% physical... so maybe try some creative visualisation, meditation, yoga, tai chi... things that meld mind & body so that you can make your body do what your mind wants to do... good luck with Lvl 3& 4, I'll be attempting mine this coming weekend! :-)

O.K. now for my advice and embarassing admission. I am more scared to sit by the door or look out than I am to jump out. I had the pause when I was practicing but not in the air. Try to reherse the dive in you mind is stages. First the exit only. Next the exit and the dive flow. Last the dive flow from after the exit. Once you have done it many times in your head you just follow the script. Look at the wing and go. Good luck. Maybe I will see you out there soon.
Chris
Ready, Set, GOOOOOOO
Albatross

lazerq3,
The program at CrossKeys is a little different. It's a 10 jump program. Basically 3 tandems and then the 7 jumps in AFF. When I said L-3, I meant my third non-tandem jump. Only difference between 3 tandems then AFF, and what they call their AFP, is that you only have 1 jm for each jump, instead of 2 like in the normal AFF first 3 jumps.

For that matter, what's spotting? expanded air awareness? etc.

Well, Michelle, I'll try to explain these terms to you.
"Spotting" is what you do if neither of your parachutes opens. You become a "spot" on the ground, hence the term "spotting."
"Expanded air awareness" has to do with the fact that during the ride to altitude you become "aware" that any "air" in your lower intestine has "expanded" due to lowered air pressure at higher altitudes, combined with nervousness. Soon your fellow jumpers in plane also experience "awareness" of this "expanded air" phenomenon, and this gets everyone out of the door that much quicker.
As you can see, I'm an expert in skydiving terminology, so if you have any other questions, feel free to ask me, and I promise I would never steer you wrong! :)Speed Racer
"De plaene!! De plaene!!"

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice and the encouragement.
(Especially you, Speed Racer, for your invaluable comments and helpful information. No, really.)
I'll let everyone know how it goes this time - and I promise to have my leg straps tighter, so this time I can find the BOC.
If anyone's out at Perris today, come look for me. I'll be there about 11ish, long brown hair (generally back in a french braid), wearing a bright green shirt. You'll also be able to identify me because I'll be mumbling (Out, Arch, COA oh geez....Out, Arch, COA oh geez.... Out, Arch, COA oh geez) lol
bleau cieux
Michele

Geez.. All you people that are scared of the exit need to start jumping at a new DZ.. You see, at my DZ, by the time we get to altitude, EVERYBODY is in a big hurry to get out of the plane......because nobody wants to risk their life spending another second riding with our pilot.. ;)
Seriously, though.. It's certainly not something to be embarrassed about.. You're doing something that is not natural.. Something that you have always been taught is damn dangerous and downright wrong.. Well, by the whuffos anyways.. On the ride to altitude(as you anticipate), and when you get near the door, you mind is telling you this is not right.. Tell your mind to shut the hell up and jump!@# Once you get past the student jumps, and you can make some different exits, it will become more of a fun thing than something you dread.. There are so many different ways to exit all the different airplanes.. The exit is one of the best parts - it kinda sets the tone for the whole skydive..
When I first started jumping, I didn't have any problem with the exit.. I looked forward to it.. My biggest fear during AFF was that I would fall out during my climb out.. Not that falling out matters - I was planning to jump anyways - but that meant that I could either lose a JM or blow the exit.. It never happened, but on my L7 AFF my JM said that I was about half way through the count, he looked up toward the pilot, looked back at me when he didn't hear "GO!", but didn't see me.. All I remember was giving the count, exiting, and not seeing my JM for the first 10 seconds or so.. When I did see him, he was on his head trying to get down to me.. :D
Mike

Hey Donna!
You just get your ass back to Jumptown and jump! You know you will be so happy when you do.
You know I don't get to jump that often except when we go to Eloy so every time we do get to jump here I do get butterflies. I have 200 jumps now and the week before last I was barely current when I jumped and I ended up on my back flailing on exit - it was pretty funny....and then I landed out next to the taxiway so don't worry, you're sure to do better than that and, if you don't, don't worry because it's all good :)
You ARE meant to be a skydiver...
Hope to see you there soon - we'll be jumping on Sunday :)
Rhonda

R U the pilot? LOL!! I remember seeing/reading about your fear of flying... sounded like a pilot to me

I don't fly jump planes....well, not often anyways.. I fly corporate jets.. During my time off, I don't want to fly - I want to jump.. I get enough flying at work.. Hell, if I were the jump pilot, everybody would be so damn scared they would be out the door by 5k.. :D
Mike

Hey Rhonda - We will be at Jumptown both days as long as the weather is nice. I won't be jumping yet as I have to wait for my knee brace. I have a feeling I may hate it and not even use it if it's too bulky but I promised the doctor I'd try it. I may just use a regular neoprene sleeve one like I've been wearing when I do anything physical. I'm in a much better frame of mind about jumping today and am again anxious to get up there! We have 'relative' work the following weekend so I expect to be in the air again on July 7th. I'd like to do a couple jumps under the manta on that Saturday and then if they go well, try my rig out on that Sunday. Probably see you this Sunday!
Skies,
D :P

I hope that you get back in the air soon - we have do make a jump together as soon as you're feeling up to it again...I know you'll be fine once you are back up because you love this sport so much - I think you'll be more miserable if you don't jump.
A friend of mine is going to make her first tandem on Sunday and it looks like the weather is going to be on our side for once so we'll be there.
hehe - I should have just sent you an email, but I like this board so much :)
Rhonda