Pammi

Damn you all and your bad luck!

ARGH! I kept hearing about some of you guys and you getting laid off. I felt pity for you and your plight as fellow skydivers with no income for jumps, beer and other necessities of life. Then today, right as I'm getting ready to leave work of course, I'm given my walking papers for the first time ever in my life. I have two-three weeks to find other employment. YOU DIDN'T TELL ME THE LAYOFFS WERE CATCHING!
Sigh. Seriously. I got canned today..actually...someone else got layed off, and since they've classified me as a 'permanent temp' (been with the company a year and a half), the layed off folks get a crack at my job. Sucks right before Quincy, but oh well, screw em. I already said I was going if I have to sell my, er, Merrick's body to do it! I'm going to be voted the employee with the most attitude before the two weeks are out, I guarantee! You just THINK I was an addict on here before! Mhahahaha! Just see what happens when you hold off telling me until I get your metrics up, thereby securing your contract with the company, THEN tell me I'm outta here!
All hail the unemployed skydiver!
Merrick's SCR Ceremony

That blows Donkeys like a Tijuana sex show!
You're in luck though. I was just in the market for a naked house keeper! Please send recent photos, references, measurements, and a list of all kinky quirks. Only pays $4.75 pr hr but think of the benefits!
"I want to fly like a silly angel, Lean for the sky, straight into the sun"-Fuel
Clay

Sucks, doesn't it. :(
I think I'm at least close to getting closure with my previous employer. I think I could have gotten a better (i.e. more fair) deal, but right now I'd rather just have the closure.
The good news is that I've decided to give up the whole software thing, and according to the budget I've worked out I can afford to get my comercial, flight instructor, and instrument flight instructor ratings over the next two months!
Hope things work out for ya!
The Dutchboy
http://www.geocities.com/ppolstra

Pammi, I am no shit sorry to hear about that. Man, that sucks, don't you have any recourse or defense? Is it worth fighting for? I have friends involved with labor organizing, sometimes I give them shit, but things like this make me reconsider. What will you do, where to next? Are you OK? Quack?

That in many ways resembles sucking!
If its any consolation the company I work for is shuting its doors as soon as we finish our current projects (misery loves company). I had to lay off my secretary who is 3mo pregnent she just bought a house and her husband does not have insurance NOW THAT SUCKS! hardest conversation i ever had to have. I think she found a new job though,(i hope).
On the plus side a company back in OKC wants to hire me and we may be back at Cushing (dont land on the tanks, hey it has happened!) jumping.
At the risk of starting a big polotics thing here and getting compltely off subject, has anyone noticed a trend between the GOP and layoffs even if Bush Sr, made a couple AFF's.
Kevin
Don't Pull Low Unless U R!

Ummm....yeah...I seem to remember the economy starting to swirl while the supreme jackass was still in office. Once the handle is pushed, the toilet flushes no matter what ya do.....LOL
"I want to fly like a silly angel, Lean for the sky, straight into the sun"-Fuel
Clay

AAhh...you guys are so sweet :)Sorry 'bout the bitching last night. I was truly bummed and had a couple of drinks. Ms. Perfectionist isn't used to losing her job...the loss of control...egads! hehe
Clay, I don't know about that whole 'nekkid' (as we say in Kansas) housekeeping thing. Who knows where that broom handle might go?! Oh wait...that might be fun....hehe
Seriously, I'm pretty much screwed on the deal. When I moved from Kansas to Oklahoma, I had a hard time finding something here that wasn't through a personnel service. I've been here quite a while, but the company refuses to hire very many of the 'contractors' on directly to save themselves money. Now that they are laying people off too, they are offering them some of the contractor's jobs...including mine. Since I'm still a 'temp', I'm outta here.
On the upside, hopefully we'll be moving from OK soon anyway, and now I don't have to pretend I give a shit about this job :) hehe
(Lisa...I SO want to sell parachutes! Don't know about the California thing tho..lol)
Bluestar...That sucks! Poor girl..at least I don't have to rely on just my income, haven't bought a house and aren't pregnant. Phew! You may be back at Cushing?! We'll likely meet you then!
At the risk of bringing the forums down to the depths of mushy again, thanks for the support guys :)
P
Merrick's SCR Ceremony

Comm, CFI, and CFII in 2 months? why not throw in ATP and lighter than air? :-) I guess it's doable if you're starting with an instrument rating and will be somewhere with good weather. I'm a summer intern at a huge aerospace company getting a preview of my future occupation, and I'm already thinking I should quit and get all my ratings. I'd rather fly all day dropping jumpers than this any day.

Comm, CFI, and CFII in 2 months? why not throw in ATP and lighter than air? :-) I guess it's doable if you're starting with an instrument rating and will be somewhere with good weather.

It'd be nice if he could knock out the ATP right now, but alas, they have that pesky 1500 hour requirement.. Hell, I didn't get my ATP until about 2500 hours(did it along with my first type rating).. LTA may be fun, but kinda useless....plus, I don't like getting up early enough to fly those things.. :)

I'm a summer intern at a huge aerospace company getting a preview of my future occupation, and I'm already thinking I should quit and get all my ratings. I'd rather fly all day dropping jumpers than this any day.

The do it.. Are you training for an engineer degree or something? I considered that a long time ago....but then thought better of it.. I can't imagine sitting in an office all the time.. My office has the best view in the world..
Mike

The good news is that I've decided to give up the whole software thing, and according to the budget I've worked out I can afford to get my comercial, flight instructor, and instrument flight instructor ratings over the next two months!

COOL! Where are you going to do your training? Glad to hear you got your priorities straight.. :D If ya need any help, don't hesitate to ask..
Mike

Pammi,
I've been there. It is a bummer, but all you can do is make the best of it and move on. Look at it as an opportunity rather than a setback. With that mindset, everything will be fine.

I'd rather fly all day dropping jumpers than this any day.

Maybe. Or at least until you get sick of whiney, farty jumpers moaning about not getting that "extra alt" we mistakenly feel so entitled to. :)Justin
Member of the Whuffo Conversion Team

Pammi: I suppose I did use the incorrect term.
Naked- You have no clothes on
Nekkid-You have no clothes on and your "up" to something.
Oklahoma- I can never think of Oklahoma without thinking of Steve Martin in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" running around the room with an eye patch on, banging on the pot with a spoon, yelling Oklahoma, Oklahoma, Oklahoma!!!!!!
Good luck with the job search. Try and use this as an opportunity to change for the better. I have seen it plenty of times. I have a friend in Missouri that recently was fired from his job because he was injured. He used the opportunity to start his own business and is now having trouble keeping up with production. Good luck and Blue Skies!
Clay

Think of getting laid off as an opportunity to do what you really want. Nine years ago I found myself "unable to find employment in my chosen field."
"Aw well, I'll just work as a jumpmaster for the summer."
Nine years later I am still working as a tandem, IAD and PFF instructor and rigging on rainy days.

The do it.. Are you training for an engineer degree or something?

No, PilotDave sacrifices himself scouring the internet for movies of skydivers doing damn near anything. His efforts have helped me while away many a rainy day, and for that I am truly grateful.
Blues, squares,
PTiger

Well, it sucks that she is laid off, but I think she'll have work at least another month or so. Merrick might get this job in NC - BUTTHOLES!! You are going to leave me?!?!
Anyway, I wish them the best. Pamela is like my sister, and that is NOT a pun on my nickname. She and I have shared a lot of shit...and I hate to see her get laid off.
The consensus she and I made yesterday was this: DON't THINK ABOUT IT UNTIL AFTER QUINCY!! Because we're all gonna be broke then! I haven't worked since May 20 and I am getting bored (yeah, just now, LOL)...it starts to really suck. She'll hang in there!!
Sis

I'm not crazy because I take the right pills everyday.