JohnMitchell

270 in Patterns was: Double Fatality - Dublin,GA

>check air space ,release breaks THEN practice flat turns . . .

I'm all for practicing flat turns, but I think that you should make sure you are clear before doing so. I don't think it's a good idea to do them on every jump, especially during events like boogies/record attempts.

Well if they were segregated, it wasn't enforced until Sunday morning. I saw plenty of hp approaches in the main(south) landing area. Those approaches ceased Sunday. Sunday morning was the first time that I heard anyone mention (on intercom or otherwise) that hp landings would be landing in the north sector and straight in approaches to the south.

I was there from Wed till Sun and on the first load! It was announced on the PA several times each day! I think some didn't take it seriously till after Sat! The collision was over the normal landing area, I had just gathered my gear and was walking from the the landing area when it happened right over my head, they impacted 6 ft to my right! This should also serve as an example that the skydive doesn't end when your feet are on the ground, you can become a statistic while walking to the packing area! I will NEVER forget this and plan on sharing it with all who will listen!

"You made my panties wet!" Skymama (Fitz 09)
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

What I don't get is why the landing areas at Dublin weren't segregated prior to the fatalities. Dublin's landing area is huge. After the fatality, hp approaches were assigned an area to land and straight-in approaches were assigned another. With all the up roar in recent months about seperation, why wasn't this addressed prior to the incident?

Huh? I made 24 jumps at Dublin and EVERY load I was on it was addressed in the plane. Hell I was the first one there on Wed asking for a clear definition of which side to land on in order to be sure I was out of the way. Spence and Don quickly pointed it out and it was communicated many times over throughout the weekend. So if somebody did not know they did not spend to much time asking because the word was put out, time and time again.

BK

Well if they were segregated, it wasn't enforced until Sunday morning. I saw plenty of hp approaches in the main(south) landing area. Those approaches ceased Sunday. Sunday morning was the first time that I heard anyone mention (on intercom or otherwise) that hp landings would be landing in the north sector and straight in approaches to the south.

I was there from Wed till Sun and on the first load! It was announced on the PA several times each day! I think some didn't take it seriously till after Sat! The collision was over the normal landing area, I had just gathered my gear and was walking from the the landing area when it happened right over my head, they impacted 6 ft to my right! This should also serve as an example that the skydive doesn't end when your feet are on the ground, you can become a statistic while walking to the packing area! I will NEVER forget this and plan on sharing it with all who will listen!

I too was on the first load of the boogie, I too heard it multiple times throughout the boogie. I also had a chat about it with Chris on the first day b/c we were getting a lot of pilots flying toward each other to get to their respective LZs.

Awareness is key, if a HP pilot wasnt sure if there was a separate area for HP landings, out of respect for all the other pilots that person should have asked. Ignorance is not a valid excuse. I fly a HP canopy and love my landings, I also went and found out what landing area was for HP landings, looked at the arieal photo, and made my plan.

Youre right, the dive isnt over until you put your gear down in the packing area.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Everyone quit doing 270's in traffic. It's stupid and we're going to kill a lot more innocent skydivers if we keep it up.

Agreed 100%. But, what I keep wanting to point out is that this is not only a swooper problem. General canopy awareness is a HUGE problem. Just look around. Hell, if I remember correctly the stats on collisions were mostly NON high performance (although that number is rising for sure).

Whatever DZO's decide to implement I hope that they enforce good canopy practices PERIOD. I continue to hope that people will see past "the turn", and realize this is a problem across the board.

Blues,
Ian

How many collisions have occurred between people making standard patterns for the DZ, no turns greater than 90 degrees, straight-in final approaches?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'd say I came within less than a second of wrapping up just below 1000' on the downwind leg of my pattern. it was just dumb luck that I caught the other pilot out of the corner of my eye. Neither of us were itintiating any type of HP maneuver.
Complacency nearly killed us both. We were over that very same tarmac, the other pilot is a good friend, and has over 2300 skydives, I have over 800. We failed to pay attention, we failed to have a plan. We got lucky.
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I looked at the first one on your list and that does not match what Kallend said. Agreed, it was not a high performance manouver, but neither was it a standard 90° pattern manouver.

Edited to add - This probaly supports your view though

When someone pulls out of a side street in car and gets hit by another coming along the main road, he did not do it delibrately. He just did not see the other car coming. Transfer this scenario to three dimensions and you can see how aware we really have to be under canopy.

Accidents happen and they always will. Then there are the accidents waiting to happen. Which was it here?
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Avtually I have seen Ian under canopy, everybody should do a straight in when around him, he is kind of scary. On a real note I dont see a solution, you cant police the landing area and have everyone happy, there is a lot of idiots out there but there is also one or two good canopy pilots out there. I myself, when I do skydive try and find a slot away from everyone to do my turns, and Im favored to let most people land before me. What we are used to here in DeLand is we let the teams order be determined by canopy size, it solves a lot of problem, and there isnt much of a rule but it is suggested exit order, landing order. But that proposition would cause too much controversy with the whole exit order thing, freeflyers, flatflyers, canopy sizes.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

ian, it is not just hp canopies. i have a guy with a 170 who spirals right down through the middle of the traffic pattern every jump. won't happen again here! tired of being a nice guy about it! i am a dzo who is going to put an end to it at our place. if you do not want to follow a preset traffic pattern, jump somewhere else. if you want to do a 270 before you land, go for it, but there better not be ANY canopies in the air when you do it here anymore. someone has to step up and set rules before we kill a few more people. high speed manuevers makes one focus on the entry point, not the other canopies in the air, exactly what happened in dublin. the adrenlian of doing it, plus the g-forces (although small) and the focus contribute to some tunnel vision, loss of peripheral vision. we can't have that in traffic situations!

it is simple, you want to do it, do a hop-n-pop, you have the stage to yourself for the "wow" factor of the crowd. if you mess up, you have no else to blame and you don't carry anyone with you!

Sounds to me like you have a DZ that I'd be happy to jump at.

Blue's

Bill

Agreed 100%. But, what I keep wanting to point out is that this is not only a swooper problem. General canopy awareness is a HUGE problem. Just look around. Hell, if I remember correctly the stats on collisions were mostly NON high performance (although that number is rising for sure).

No, it isn't just a swooper problem, I agree. But the unique character of the Dublin incident was a person who decided to do a 270 degree turn in the middle of a bigway record attempt. That in itself is a seperate issue that needs addressing.

I'm just beginning to jump with a monthly 40 Way group and hope one of these days to attend one of Kate Cooper's 100 Way camps. And I know for a fact that both Kate's group and ours make it very clear that hook turns are forbidden and the penalty is instant expulsion from the group.

This was not somebody on a seperate pass who exited two groups and 20 seconds later than somebody in the first group out. These two guys were on the same BIGWAY. Somebody else likened this incident to a person roaring around a Walmart parking lot at 70mph and it's an apt comparison.

I think swooping is beautiful. I don't do it myself, but I love to watch it, it's a beautiful sight when it's safely and intelligently done. But it has no place at all on a Bigway and I'm still trying to understand how anyone, especially with so many thousands of jumps, would even think of doing a thing like this.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I want to be careful with my comments here. Bob was a very good friend of mine (as many others) Swooping is a great thing. Brain McNenney is a fellow employee and good friend (Pro swooper). There is plenty of room in our sport to accommodate everyone. It seems to me that we are “running into” to problem area’s.

1. 90% of the skydivers don’t swoop, of the 10% that do swoop a certain small percentage feel that they have the god given right to swoop within the other canopies.
2. Of that smaller group an even smaller percentage feel that they are “good enough” that they don’t have to listen to anyone. They have got away with it for years and nothing has happen, therefore nothing will.

Until we as a group…all skydivers agree on a policy and then enforce it these kind of things will happen. Separate landing area’s will work IF the policy is enforced. I appreciate the posters comments about camps and big ways but having been to many camps and big ways the plan hard truth is that the rules are enforced selectively. Period. They are enforced selectively because skydiving is a social sport. When some high time, well known, well liked skydive rips a fast hook turn down low with only a few canopies around, very little is done if anything. It has to be a group thing. Such an up roar IF someone swoops in that EVERYONE will be offended and demand that it be addressed.

As much as I dislike rules, I believe it is time for the USPA to step in and address this issue. I don’t believe that we are policing our self’s. A small percentage is affecting the whole and it has to stop.

P.S. – if you disagree with the percentages fine, I don’t know the number….change them to whatever you like.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

2. Of that smaller group an even smaller percentage feel that they are “good enough” that they don’t have to listen to anyone. They have got away with it for years and nothing has happen, therefore nothing will.

Until we as a group…all skydivers agree on a policy and then enforce it these kind of things will happen. Separate landing area’s will work IF the policy is enforced. I appreciate the posters comments about camps and big ways but having been to many camps and big ways the plan hard truth is that the rules are enforced selectively. Period. They are enforced selectively because skydiving is a social sport. When some high time, well known, well liked skydive rips a fast hook turn down low with only a few canopies around, very little is done if anything. It has to be a group thing. Such an up roar IF someone swoops in that EVERYONE will be offended and demand that it be addressed.

Someone should use binoculars and ground those persons not behaving properly in the traffic. Can it be more simple? Or if grounding is to strong term, not letting be manifested for awhile could do the trick. ;)

As much as I dislike rules, I believe it is time for the USPA to step in and address this issue. I don’t believe that we are policing our self’s. A small percentage is affecting the whole and it has to stop.

Eventually it will.

As always, it's a Cost ~ Benefit type of thing.

I don't know just how much MORE it's gotta cost us before something is done! :S:(>:(

I guess life is cheaper these days, Capewells and Blast Handles didn't take near the toll before we quit fucking around with 'em! :|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Eventually it will.

I don't know just how much MORE it's gotta cost us before something is done! :S:(>:(
:|

if we do not deal with this then the legal system will find a way, the defense lawyer argument of "it is a dangerous sport and the plaintiff accepted the risk when he/she got on the plane" will not work forever
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Eventually it will.

:|

if we do not deal with this then the legal system will find a way, the defense lawyer argument of "it is a dangerous sport and the plaintiff accepted the risk when he/she got on the plane" will not work forever

Now that the risk is becoming well understood, I predict that at some point allowing swoopers to mix with the others will come to be considered "gross negligence" and will not be protected under a waiver.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Interesting PM was sent to me, it basically was the suggestion that specific amount of swoopers vrs traditional approaches would dictate who has the closest landing area to the “hot spot” (generally closest to packing) While I have no problem walking in this might encourage more dz’s to cater to a specific group.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

I would hope that the "hot spot" is not ever made the LZ for one group or another based solely on the percetance of HP pilots vs. other pilots.
I would hope that the DZO, S&TA, and senior jumpers would evaulate the area for the prevailing winds, and landing patterns. Then determine the area that would be the safest for each group.
I know that outs, taxiways, and current airport traffic (airplanes) all factor in to my decisions.
I know Im very interested in how things will change at our DZ.
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

at skydive oregon they have their "pond side" where one can do any type of turn they want (90, 180, 270, 450, 1170, ect). then they have their "main landing area" where you're not allowed to do more than a 180 degree turn. they are very strict in the enforcement of these rules and usually the DZO or the S&TA give a warning or depending on the severity of the incident completely kicked off the DZ. everyone at the DZ respects these rules and no one is an exception.

not sure if this will help anyone, but maybe it'll give some of you DZO's an idea of how to prevent canopy collisions at your dz. i also encourage DZO's to work together, if you know of a drop zone that has good rules regarding canopy traffic call them up and see how they structure it or put it together. i think if we all work together we'll be able to take care of this situation.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

I want to be careful with my comments here. Bob was a very good friend of mine (as many others) Swooping is a great thing. Brain McNenney is a fellow employee and good friend (Pro swooper). There is plenty of room in our sport to accommodate everyone. It seems to me that we are “running into” to problem area’s.
I agree. My remarks were intended to point up that this is not so much a swooping issue, as a serious breach of discipline on a Bigway. In days gone by, low pulls used to be the big bad no-no, now it seems to have become how we behave in unusually heavy traffic. The swooping aside, this was a serious breach of safety procedures in a specialized kind of skydive that is already more dangerous simply because of the large numbers of people in the air at once.

The plain hard truth is that the rules are enforced selectively. Period. They are enforced selectively because skydiving is a social sport. When some high time, well known, well liked skydiver rips a fast hook turn down low with only a few canopies around, very little is done if anything.

That's a very real problem; with our sport, at work, and everywhere else. I mean just look at the crap Paris Hilton gets away with that would land you or me in the slammer for years at a time. It's a real toughy and it takes guts to stand up and make a stink when people are going to tell you to "lighten up", or call you a Boy Scout or an asshole for speaking up. No easy solution there....

Fact is, I've received a PM that told me there was some of this very problem involved in this incident. Nobody wants to speak ill of the dead, but I think some of the hardest questions will not be aired, for fear of causing offense to some people.

USPA is gonna have to. DZO's are gonna have to. We're NOT policing ourself and we'd better get started, before the fatass politicians do it "for our own good".

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

It is very sad that this continues to happen. I just returned from a big DZ and was weary before going due to recent canopy collisions. With that in mind here are some observations I made while watching landings last weekend:

- The DZ rule was first down sets the pattern
- The SAME jumpers disregarded that rule continuously and swooped in their own direction- opposite of jumpers landing
- Even if you look before you hook, anything greater than a 180 is VERY difficult to judge your vertical descent AND how/if you are going to overtake other canopy's
- The MAJORITY of swoopers were target fixated on their landing and NOT looking around for traffic after initiating their swoop
- This is a "normal" reaction as speed causes tunnel vision and a high speed swoop requires that you pay high attention to your position relative to the intended landing area (the ground)

Two other factors I have noticed:
1) Canopy's spiralling down to "beat traffic" only cause a larger problem because they are now "out of order" in respect to wing loading, you can spiral the hell out of a 170 Sq Ft canopy and I'm still going to have to pass you under my 111 flying straight and level. Not spiralling helps to maintain vertical separation.

2) Many times highly loaded canopy pilots assume they will be or are first down, I have seen this multiple times as they hook thinking that nobody can possibly be below them - remember, there's always someone faster or pulling lower than you.

I am guilty myself of some of this. The problem is that some people make a habit of disregarding rules, become complacent, or feeling invulnerable. The fact that you have locals at a DZ that blatantly disregard rules speaks to the issue of all of us looking the other way on occasion - besides "he's a great swooper" right?!?

As we have seen, jump numbers, experience, and years in the sport do nothing for you when you make the smallest mistake under canopy.

I wish I had an answer but I do not. I can say that I will think twice about hooking it hard next time I jump. Yes, it can be done safely but sometimes you have to sacrifice the swoop for the safety of all. And that's easier said than done.
Stay safe and God bless.

The landing areas were seperated all weekend. I got there on Wed. and the p.a. was clear to me that if you wanted to make high performance landings do it to the right of the taxi way. I believe it was repeated every day we jumped there. Also both canopys involved in the collision were high performance. Also the canopy I was flying and yes I had a first hand view, I was the third canopy mentioned in this thread. The main difference is that Bob and I were making straight in approaches. The speed of our canopys may have been the reason Danny misjudged the clearance, but the 270 should not have been initiated at all. Hopefully all of us can learn from this and start doing things right.:(

- The DZ rule was first down sets the pattern
- The SAME jumpers disregarded that rule continuously and swooped in their own direction- opposite of jumpers landing

If the DZO or S&TA are unwilling (or unaware) to stop this, then you are basically screwed.

You can either "look out for #1" and land out yourself or pack up and go home and while cashing out for the few jumps you did and on your way out politely let the DZO / Manifest that you're leave early, but would have done more jumps (i.e. spent more $$ there) if they had policed their landing area / rules better. If one person does this, they'll probably just call you crazy, if two people do this, they'll probably just call you... assholes, or something... but if a whole group of people do this, they'll think its a movement... ;)