xlh883

2 week turnaround on Cypress - yeah right

SSK here in Ohio has had my Cypress for three weeks as of today. Last Friday I called and it was ready pending a review of results by German engineers. I was also told that the Germans might be going on a summer break and the approval mAy not be received in time to ship it this week.

Talked to a person today and said it might ship by the end of next week pending results of testing. She made it sound like it is not done.

It's my fault for waiting too long to come back from a 7 year layoff I know but my rig won't be usable until the season is half way or more over now. I am frustrated. If you have to send the thing in for service, do it during the off season. I can't afford to keep renting a student rig and I am beginning to regret coming back to the sport mid-season. Should have waited I guess.

Thanks for letting me rant.

David

I send in a lot of units. My experience: After they get it, it is always just barely over two weeks. I've had nothing but excellent service. Great company.

(Sounds like your is a problem unit, having to consult with German engineers or something)

They do have rental units available.

I believe my DZ requires AAD's. Not sure and I did not know an AAD could be rented.

I am not real keen on the idea of paying for multiple repacks in such a short period of time.

The guy I talked to last week said my unit was fine. I don't know what to think any more. It only has roughly 50 jumps on it in 8 years anyways. Probably just needs a battery or not. They said 2 weeks to be done after they got it.

David

SSK here in Ohio has had my Cypress for three weeks as of today. Last Friday I called and it was ready pending a review of results by German engineers. I was also told that the Germans might be going on a summer break and the approval mAy not be received in time to ship it this week.

I can't think of any reason why the German engineers might be a little slow at work lately.... /worldcup

if anything, i'd rather they take their time getting over their hangover before they check off my AAD

likestojump

Orrrrrr

Jump without the AAD while you are having it serviced.

BOOM !
P.S. someone took the parking spot that I wanted the other day. I'm livid, selling the car.

Orrrrrr

Don't push your agenda on those who won't jump without the added safety of an AAD.

BTW, you parking spot analogy makes no sense.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

***Orrrrrr

BOOM !
P.S. someone took the parking spot that I wanted the other day. I'm livid, selling the car.

Orrrrrr

Don't push your agenda on those who won't jump without the added safety of an AAD.

I don't have an agenda (I have AADs in my rigs). I am simply suggesting that your AAD being out for service doesn't have to stop you from jumping (assuming the DZ does not mandate AAD).

My parking spot analogy was in response to "I am beginning to regret coming back to the sport mid-season. Should have waited I guess. "

likestojump

******Orrrrrr

BOOM !

Orrrrrr

I don't have an agenda (I have AADs in my rigs). I am simply suggesting that your AAD being out for service doesn't have to stop you from jumping (assuming the DZ does not mandate AAD).

My parking spot analogy was in response to "I am beginning to regret coming back to the sport mid-season. Should have waited I guess. "

Everyone has an agenda. Based on your post and your reply to my post, it's clear that you agenda is to recommend that one need not curtail jumping while their AAD is out of service - since that's exactly what you said.

My guess is you are willing to jump without an AAD if yours are down, otherwise I can only think you wouldn't have suggested it to others. If that's the case fine, but to suggest others do the same is complacency by proxy and that's bad form.

MY agenda is to discourage people from suggesting that others who make safety-conscious decisions cut corners on them. You have your limits and you're welcome to live by them. David has his and I hope sticks to them.

Regardless of where an individual draws their line on safety, suggesting they ignore it is the worst kind of peer pressure.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

Everyone has an agenda. Based on your post and your reply to my post, it's clear that you agenda is to recommend that one need not curtail jumping while their AAD is out of service - since that's exactly what you said.

My guess is you are willing to jump without an AAD if yours are down, otherwise I can only think you wouldn't have suggested it to others. If that's the case fine, but to suggest others do the same is complacency by proxy and that's bad form.

MY agenda is to discourage people from suggesting that others who make safety-conscious decisions cut corners on them. You have your limits and you're welcome to live by them. David has his and I hope sticks to them.

Regardless of where an individual draws their line on safety, suggesting they ignore it is the worst kind of peer pressure.

I disagree. You are assuming.

I simply said that one can choose to jump without an AAD while it's being serviced.

Some people don't realize that AAD's aren't mandatory.
Some people don't realize that if they use the same rigger they shouldn't have to pay for two complete repacks within weeks of each other.

So yes, I guess I did have an agenda. To simply educate and throw in a suggestion. I have no right to suggest that anyone changes their safety margins to lesser ones, and I most definitely have not said or suggested that the OP does that.

Don't jump without an AAD - I witnessed someone "landing" his reserve blacked out after being knocked out on the tracking dive.. thanks to AAD he lived... anyway if Germans had to get involved - there may be an issue with your unit, and you should be happy that it's getting addressed. I have Vigil2, but Cypress will be my next AAD for that reason - it's getting checked every 4 years!

Maksimsf

I have Vigil2, but Cypress will be my next AAD for that reason - it's getting checked every 4 years!

As the Vigil reps on here repeatedly point out, you are welcome to send your Vigil in for inspection any time you want. It also has a self-diagnosis program, so if there is a problem, it should tell you so. I am a Vigil owner but would have no issue switching to Cypres or staying with Vigil. Difference is not large, in my opinion.

I won't jump without my AAD (mandatory at my DZ anyway), but I respect the decision of others who will jump without theirs. We shouldn't give each other crap for this, and let every individual make their own choice, assuming the proper information is available to them. But as I pointed out elsewhere, I believe that the number of people who jump without AADs will reduce every year until they are de-facto required.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

As the Vigil reps on here repeatedly point out, you are welcome to send your Vigil in for inspection any time you want.

Yes, but if it is past the short warranty period, I believe any costs for repairs/adjustments will be born by the owner.

It also has a self-diagnosis program, so if there is a problem, it should tell you so.

Wrong. The self test cannot check for many things.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Can you elaborate on what it can't check for? And do Cypres customers not also pay for the maintenance of their unit, even though it is mandatory and scheduled? Or do you mean that Cypres includes the repairs in their check-up cost, but Vigil will charge for check-up and then charge for any necessary repairs that they find?

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

JeffCa

Can you elaborate on what it can't check for? And do Cypres customers not also pay for the maintenance of their unit, even though it is mandatory and scheduled? Or do you mean that Cypres includes the repairs in their check-up cost, but Vigil will charge for check-up and then charge for any necessary repairs that they find?

A self test can't check for the accuracy of the pressure sensor at a single altitude, or if it tracks a changing altitude correctly. A self test can't check whether there are anomalies with high or low temp (the Cypres check does, what the Vigil folks have said about their check didn't include this if I remember correctly).

The Cypres warranty is good for the 12 year life. It must be assumed that the (2 year?) warranty of the Vigil does not include anything that needs to be fixed after that period whether it surfaces during a factory check or not. This limited warranty period is a potentially big factor in that cost analysis that many do when figuring a Vigil is the better deal.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

sundevil777

The Cypres warranty is good for the 12 year life. It must be assumed that the (2 year?) warranty of the Vigil does not include anything that needs to be fixed after that period whether it surfaces during a factory check or not. This limited warranty period is a potentially big factor in that cost analysis that many do when figuring a Vigil is the better deal.

Yes, this would depend on the failure rate of both devices. If Vigil has a very low failure rate over its lifetime, then the warranty is not worth worrying about. According to their website, the first Vigils are just about to reach the 12-year mark, so data could exist about failure rates of Cypres vs. Vigil over the 12-year lifespan of a Cypres (though I'm sure we'd never see it). Data would not exist about failure rates over the claimed 20-year lifespan of the Vigil, as we just aren't there yet, and the Vigil II is only at 7 years or so. Then again, the Vigil people could go above and beyond and repair units for free even out of warranty, as certain other companies in this industry have been known to do.

"We're awaiting results from Airtek. Once we receive those results and everything is ok, we should be able to ship your Cypress out by the end of next week." And the nightmare continues on.....12:41EST today. Part way into the 4th week of the two week turn-around. I am not impressed. But they say its ready to go otherwise.

My home DZ had no gear available for me to rent last weekend due to AFF students and looking to be that way again this weekend. Looks like I will have to go to another DZ and hope for the best. I hate to do that when I work for this one as a pilot. Feels like I would be doing something wrong.

David

xlh883

"We're awaiting results from Airtek. Once we receive those results and everything is ok, we should be able to ship your Cypress out by the end of next week." And the nightmare continues on.....12:41EST today. Part way into the 4th week of the two week turn-around. I am not impressed. But they say its ready to go otherwise.

I highly doubt that is a direct copy of a quote from SSK/Airtec.

Either way, if you don't like the maintenance schedule/requirements, use a different product that you do like. This isn't much different than dropping your plane off for an annual and having the mechanic find issues that make the annual take longer, except this doesn't cost you more.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Fuck me.

Are people what whinny all the time nowadays?

You're getting communication from the servicing company. It may not be what you like, but that's why they are tested. As Ski mentioned: don't like it, get a different AAD that never has to be tested.

As as Ski said too, if you're using quotation marks, at least quote the actual email.
Remster

Whinny is the sound horses make. Whiny is the sound of the OP and myself and some others when we complain about the arrogant, overbearing, we know best and we don't have to tell you anything attitude Airtec throws at their customers from time to time. As far as buying a different brand, I'm fairly sure he will next time. But in the meantime he has to deal with Airtec.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.