trigger

Wearing your helmet on take off.

Do you want a 3mm metal plate to the back of your neck? Cause that's what would happen should I wear my camerahelmet and not have a stills camera attached. Not sure if the stills camera is much better but I think the plate could break the neck of the person sitting in front of me.

I'm confused about this statement. Is it about having or not having a stills camera mounted on a helmet plate?

The top plate of my camera helmet sticks out a good bit, 10 cm or more. It is attached to the helmet at all times (build-in). I can hang my stills camera from it, upside-down. If I do, the end of the plate/helmet isn't 3mm but is the whole stills camera/lens that would hypothetically hit you in the back/neck. If I don't, I have a sturdy 10cm long 3mm thick metal plate sticking out that would hit you. Get it?

Get it, and many thanks to you for the detailed explanation! Now, how about someone just wearing a good old round helmet, with nothing potentially lethal hitting me? For example, no camera plate, no camera, no scud missile launcher, or any other objects which would not be otherwise found on the average joe's brain bucket?:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I can appreciate your reasoning for not wearing your camera helmet on take off if that's the case,the design of the stills camera mount sounds potentially lethal in crash sitution,especially if not secured.

All of this discussion brings up another important point -

Helmet ON = better than OFF.
Helmet ON & SECURED (i.e. the strap is buttoned up) = best.

Given the (somewhat scary) pics of your helmet, you can see as how even a helmet that's on during takeoff could fly off your head in an impact, unless your chin strap is connected. I see that a lot - and can't help but think of someone else's carbon fiber helmet breaking my nose in an emergency.

Anyway, just to bring it back to the matter at hand, good on you for living through it. Like I said, the pics of the helmet are eye-opening. Spinal injuries are no joke...but it obviously could've been worse. Condolences to the pilot's family & friends...& glad you escaped with only a few days in the hospital.
Signatures are the new black.

Huh? A loose helmet will do you absolutely no good it will just fly off. If you put it on, secure it!!!

You're preaching to the choir. But I've seen more people wearing helmets with their chin strap dangling down, unsecured, than I have people NOT wearing their helmets on takeoff. :S

So I figured it needed to be said.

You write it like an unsecured helmet on top of your head is better than an unsecured helmet in your lap. It's not.

IMO it should be:
Helmet off and secured = ok
Helmet ON and secured = best
Anything else = not acceptible

ciel bleu,
Saskia

You write it like an unsecured helmet on top of your head is better than an unsecured helmet in your lap. It's not.

Actually, I'd think an unsecured helmet on your head would be better than an unsecured helmet on your lap. The one in your lap is more likely to go flying through the air and connect with someone else.

If you mean "than a secured helmet in your lap," I'd agree. Either suck - just how bad depends on your perspective. Having a secured helmet in your lap isn't doing your own noggin any good. Having an unsecured helmet on your head isn't doing everybody else's noggins any good (and probably not your own, either - but it could possibly stay on, depending on how you impact).

Since one of our mantras in skydiving is "fine, kill yourself...just don't take me with you", I'd agree & give the secured-but-not-on-your-head option the edge.

Related to the OP's question, however, he was asking if you WEAR your helmet, so I was trying to answer that.

IMO it should be:
Helmet off and secured = ok
Helmet ON and secured = best
Anything else = not acceptible

You make a good point. Like I said, in relation to the OP's poll question, I was just trying to bring the issue of securing one's helmet into the discussion, as it hadn't been mentioned yet, & as I've seen far too many people letting their chin straps dangle. Obviously in the OP's incident, having a helmet off and secured probably wouldn't have been "ok" for him.

But in general theory, yes, a secured helmet off one's head beats an unsecured helmet on one's head.

My omission of the other scenarios was merely an oversight - I was addressing his situation & question, not trying to make an overall encyclopedic rule for the rulebooks. Apologies if it came off that way.

Well the "off and secured" is mostly for the larger camerahelmets, I'm sure mine wouldn't do me any good if I hit something head-on, in fact it might damage me more if I did have it on my head. Those large camerahelmets are not for protection, even less than the regular non-pro-tec helmets are.

I've also done enough horse-back riding to know an unsecured helmet is absolutely no good whatsoever :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I did my first jump in the army and in the Khaki-land you have to wear your Helmet during take-off and be ready to exit quickly ! So since the first one , I do it .

Same habits since 1980, my Airborne Brother. ;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Monkey see, monkey do.

Just make sure you watch the smart monkeys!

I'll do my best to set a good example.;)

And regarding Saskia's point of it being difficult to find a point to secure a rear or side closing helmet. I plan on soon flying a camera and one helmet I am considering is the Vapor. Depending on the AC and type of belt, it might be difficult to secure it. What about making a simple strap with a Fastex clip that can loop through the helmet chin guard and around another point of connection (chest strap, seat belt, MLW) to secure it for take off. It can be removed and stuck in your pocket. Just a thought to throw out there.

:ph34r:boy

another good reason for wearing a helmet aside from the obvious protection of yourself. That if your helmet is not on your head or secured in some way it can become a projectile and could hurt other jumpers.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

Since we're on the topic... you know what's really annoying? People with less jumps than me, not wearing helmets. I know it's not needed, but I wish I had the jump numbers to tell that arrogant f*ck to put it on and not look like a "wanna be S&TA" in front of everyone that either don't care or something ....

/vent off

if it is a concern of yours you would not be out of line to talk with your s&ta and dzo about a helmet wearing policy. You don't need a bunch of jumps to tell somebody that they are wrong either
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

I put mine on and secure it before stepping foot on the aircraft. Not everyone does it, but that's what I personally prefer to do. It also makes me feel safer walking near the prop. :D

Seriously though, with all that air coming off the prop, especially on a Twin Otter (which I jump from every week), it's possible you could fall (off the steps to the door or out of the door) before the aircraft even starts moving and bust your head wide open. It might sound retarded and childish to some, but it's true.

I don't take my helmet off until I am safely on the ground.

Always better safe than sorry whether or not anyone thinks your a retard for wearing your helmet too soon.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I wear my FF/RW helmet secured when I am using that because it cuts down on engine noise and doesn't weight that much so I don't see the point in not wearing it. My camera helmet gets clipped to me because it gets too heavy to wear all day long for back to back / every other load days.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I wear my helmet when working with an AFF student. Otherwise it's clipped into my chest strap for take off. Not the smartest thing, but that's my choice.

I always put my hard helmet on for take-off when jumping with students/newbies, and usually when fun-jumping. Sometimes I leave it clipped to my chest strap, and that's where my frap hat always is.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

i always wear my helmet. heck i put it on before boarding. because i wear contacts and closing my face shield prevents eye irritation if i have to pause on the stairs and get stuck in the prop wash while i wait for those ahead of me to get situated in the plane.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

On a similar vein, there was recently a young airman working on an F15 at Elmendorf, no helmet really required where he was working. He left a young widow and a baby and all it took was one fall from the wing. Moral of the story, your noggin won't take much of a pounding without bad things happening. Same with seat belts, my brother in law wasn't wearing his (he was afflicted with 19, ten foot tall and bulletproofitis) when he lost control of his car. He was ejected, struck a tree with his head and suffered a major brain injury as a result. Upshot is, he's 100% permanently disabled.

How much of a hassle is it to wear some protection?

I'm one of the few on here that voted sometimes.
For me, it depends on the plane, who's flying it, what DZ it's at, how hot it is, and which helmet I'm using (if any).

If I'm flying or riding in a plane without a rig on, I don't bother with a helmet. I've heard of some people that wear helmets when driving a car or walking down the street.

Sometimes I feel like wearing a helmet, sometimes not. I usually secure it. Hopefully I'm wearing it if i'm ever in a plane crash.

At my DZ we have a nice new PAC and a pilot I trust. So I don't always wear my helmet, especially if I'm riding in the passenger seat with a headset on.

If I'm in a 40+ year old airplane at an unfamiliar DZ, I'll probably wear a helmet.

If I was ever taking off on a crappy runway, I'd probably wear a helmet too.

As a pilot who has flown both the 40-plus year old airplanes, and the brand new ones, I'd call your logic for using that criteria as justification for wearing or not wearing your helmet seriously flawed. Death lurks off the end of the runway on every take off.
Zing Lurks

Contaminated fuel.
Pilot error.
Reserve launch out the door.
Canopy landing on the active runway.
Catastrophic failure of parts.
Skydivers walking across the active runway.
Blown tire on take off.
CG forward or aft of the datum line.
Bird strike.

Put your helmets on...

If I'm shooting video, for takeoff, if there is an extra seat belt, I use it to secure my camera helmet with little or no slack in the belt. Everyone else should be belted in, so hopefully the helmet wouldn't hit someone in an accident. If I'm not shooting video, my helmet is on during take off, sometimes before I even board the plane.
Brad