Muenkel

If.................

If you just discovered the sport of skydiving and your parents offered to buy your first rig for you, what are they trying to tell you? Is it like telling your kid to go play in traffic? Isn't your Mom supposed to have a coronary and tell you not to tell her what you are doing?
Just wondering.
"I am a victim of my environment."
Chris

No shit??? dude do it!!! I'd probably start with a used rig and use the rest of what they would have spent on new for jumps, but hell, if they're buying, I hear the new Mirages are nice.
BTW, are your parents looking to adopt? I am a 31-year-old male who's pretty much housebroken and would love some sugar parents. I'll even keep my room clean.
Oh yeah, my mom, even when she was about 20 minutes from Skydive Orange one beautiful Sunday, would not come out to watch.
mike
...red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me...

Hell yeah dude, go for it. My parents are the exact opposite. I was gonna put this in its own thread cause it was so funny, but its sorta fitting here so:
My parents had to buy a new car. They ended up getting a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT. Very nice car. Then they come to me with this "proposition." They tell me that they will transfer the registration over to my name, and the car will be MINE...with one string attached- that I give up skydiving.
I about fell out of my chair laughing. Give up skydiving for a freakin car? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Gimme a break. I'll continue to drive my ten year old, $1500 truck until it dies (at which time I will buy something else of equal or lesser value), just so I can keep skydiving. The wonderful experiences I've had and the awesome people I've met would never add up to a measly car, no matter how nice it was.
Anyways, just thought I would share that with you- if you have parents that are willing to support you, GO FOR IT!!! :)Blue skies,
Marshall :)

When I called my Mom from the ER after my crash a few weeks ago the frist thing that she asked after making sure I was going to live was, "how much are you going to ask for your gear?" I was like "Huh? Its not for sale...In fact I'm downsizing and getting all new later this summer" All i got was silence and then a "Have a safe drive home" and the call ended, she still can't believe I want to jump after hurting my self. Oh well.... once it warms up :)I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

she still can't believe I want to jump after hurting my self.

Hang in there, she'll get over it eventually. My mom doesn't particularly like the fact that I'm jumping after back surgery but she knows better than to give me any shit about it.
pull and flare,
lisa
--
Life is tough, but I'm tougher

Ya, what MarshMan1 said ... good story. My kids, 7 and 9 year old girls love to hang at the Dz ... I'll be saving up some day for their first car -- NOT! It'll be for their first rigs! Anyway, my Dad won't even stay in the room if one word about skydiving is mentioned ...

would you prefer that they make a big fuss and beg you not to do it and then threaten to disown you if you do? My parents would probably have helped if I needed it but I didn't. My dad thought it was very cool and loved watching people match fall rates (especially Olav in Crosswind). Your parents telling you not to do it is like pushing the I must do it button on you most of the time so I've never been able to fathom that technique.....Be safe up there
JG

My parents have always supported me in whatever decisions I made, be them stupid or not so they didn't have a problem with this either. I did get a lot of "be careful."s though. But they didn't have too much of a problem cause they loaned me the money to get my first rig. (Haven't put any skydiving expenses on credit card yet) I think I have even talked my mom into a tandem. :)"Let the rabbits wear glasses. . . "

My parents have always been supportive in that whole "be careful" sort of way...my mom says i used to talk about it when i was little and she'd laugh it off saying "thats cute, no way he'd do that". now i avoid talking about skydiving cuz i know my mom worries but they know better than to tell me to stop....better to deal with me happy with skydiving than to deal with me when they try to take away what i love most....
blue skies
Tomas

My mom is so scared of heights, she doesn't even wear high heels, serious. There was no way a child of hers was going to jump out of a plane at 10000ft! And what made it worse was that I was her "baby" (the last of 4 daughters).
Luckily for me, I had my dad's support. He used to fly two seaters. He came to watch me jump whenever he could. My mom only came to watch on my 18th jump, although they live right next to the DZ.
Hang onto Heaven, when hell is on your back;)