AggieDave

Jumping with Music

Has anyone here tried jumping with a MP3 player, walkman, portable CD player, etc? I'm entertaining the idea of wearing my MP3 player for a jump or two just for the hell of it and was wondering if anyone here had tried it, if the music could be heard well in freefall and on the ride to the top floor.
"Alright, at 4500 lets break it, turn 360 and track away..."

do a search it was on here a while ago :) thought about it but a mate told me he tried it while snowbarding and couldnt here it much cuase he was payen attention on everything else :) give it a try the worst that can happen is it doesnt work the only reason i didnt do it was cause i ran outa money :)
some advice ok your using mp3 so
1. make sure that the actual player is taped down you dont wanna loose it.
2.take off your shirt then get someone to tape the audio cords up along your back then put your shirt, jumpsuit back on it would suck if it lassood you or your canopy :)
3. Be safe and if you cant here it dont worry fix it when you land
4. where a full face youll he able to here it more and the earpeices shouldnt get blown out :)
(o):P(o) i got a iq of 189 so there :P

>Has anyone here tried jumping with a MP3 player, walkman, portable CD player, etc?
Tried it; couldn't really hear it in freefall even at loudest (I was using speakers plastered over the holes on a Protec.) Oddly, when I really concentrated I could kind of hear music, but I think I am so trained to ignore noise in freefall that I just sort of filtered it out. There was a _lot_ of background noise. You need a volume control that goes to 11.
If you really want to try it I'd recommend headphones with earseals (like David Clark headsets) or even earseal headsets with noise cancelling (like the Bose headsets.) Of course, make sure you take them off under canopy so you can hear the yells of the guy you're about to collide with on final.
-bill von

Most people have enough trouble paying attention without listening to music on the way down. lol
I guess while someone is hanging in the tree tops waiting to be rescued they will have some sort of entertainment..
On the other hand I can see how some Metallica or good Van Halen could make a high speed swoop seem even more kick ass!!
Blue Skies and Smooth Rides!!

Keep in mind that if you are listening to music under canopy you are eliminating (or at least lessoning) one of your senses you should be using to avoid canopy collisions. Of course this depends on the size of your dropzone and number of canopies in the air, but I would prefer to have everyones eyes and ears open that are in the air with me! Music in the airplane Rocks!
Opie
If your not on the edge, you can't enjoy the view!

i used to jump all the time with my mini disk player...i had ear buds on uner my ski mask and they kept them in place on exit. i was jumping at a small cesna dz and doing hop n pops so no worry about cnopy colisions. never did hear it in the 3 seconds of freefall but that 10 minute canopy rides was fun... nothing cooler than doing some radical turns while jaming to your fav. band.... now this was under my titan 265 so the radical turns were like turning 360 in 10 seconds but hey.... my saber just doesn't give me the hang time.....
p.s. it is also good for the ride up...beats having to hum it's a small world to anoy the other jumpers!

"up my noooossseee"- wingnut, at first euro dz.com boogie

One of the Otters at the Mardi Gras boogie had a stereo in it. The pilot was jamming Sonique followed by Ac/Dc. So music in the planes is definately a good idea on the condition that someone more qualified picks the tunes. There are way too many tandems and students at my DZ for it to be feasable, oh well :(
kwak
Stupidity is a crime.

That would be 10ea from Skydive Chicago, it was just installed this winter. A few others around have cd players Skydive Arizona now has at least one, Monteray Bay, Titusville FL used to have a caravan with one, and the infamous Mister Douglas DC-3. Any others?
Opie
If your not on the edge, you can't enjoy the view!

I don't know about actually freefalling with music ( i love that sound of wind) but i would most certainly go for some music on the ride up! Maybe some AC/DC or Buck Cherry. Somethin with alot of energy.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver

I think its called "Flight of the Valkaries"
btw, I jump with a cd player pretty frequently. You need earbuds for headphones or you cant hear it. I usually listen on the ride to altitude and in freefall...then shut it off under canopy. For you pilot types, you can also wear them under your headset and listen to tunes while your flying. You just have to make sure your radio volume is turned all the way up so that you can hear approach/center/unicom over the music.
-Dave
"Gas...Undercarriage...Mixture...Prop...Beer"
B|