Emmie

Experienced jumpers cracking on students

(This is kind of long, sorry)
I just talked to a friend who came back from Florida. I mentioned that since I got sick, and had to cancel my sebastian trip I might as well finish up AFF at our home DZ. He started telling me that unless I get to a windtunnel I'll never graduate, because the jm he talked to says that I'm really bad. He made it sound that i'm completely inadequate, and said that they would probably not even let me jump back home. That pisses me off.
I made it up to level 5 without ever repeating a jump. Then I got a new instructor, and thats when things just got bad. I'm not blaming him, but its wrong to just totally discourage people like that. Different people learn differently, it doesn't meen you write them off as completely hopeless.

I feel your pain Emmie. I got that lecture on my second jump. Grrrrr. We are learning. Some are better than others, but it doesnt mean we are impossible! Your JM was not the same jumper as a student he/she is today I ASSURE YOU OF THAT!!! Don't get discouraged because someone else says that. I switched DZs and the folks there are much nicer to students, and much more complimentary (and i never told them about the other place). If you love this, and you want to do it, keep at it!! It will pay off in the end!
PS-Have you ever heard Abe Lincolns story?

WTF? 5 jumps out of a plane and you're supposed to be a skygod?
Hell, I didn't get over sensory overload until my first 10 second delay, and that was jump #15.
Can you:
1> Get out of the plane alive?
2> Deploy the main stable and at altitude?
3> Land your ass in one piece?
If you can at least do that I don't see what the big bitch is.

That is completely unprofessional and uncalled for. Some people take to skydiving easier than others but I don't believe any of the basics are beyond someone who is willing to keep trying. Confront them with this, find another DZ, or stay there to get your license and then throw it up in their face. Bottom line, don't listen to their crap because you can get qualified.

Emmie, PLEASE don't listen to him. It took me 27, yes 27, jumps to get off student status. It was IAD, but still, that's twice what it should've taken. I'm not saying I'm great now, but I like to think I'm getting there, and certainly no longer suck. You have a hurdle to get over, and now you have the encouragement you need to do it...showing this guy that you can and will kick some ass in the air!
Closing pin jewelry

I will admit that I have talked behing students backs to other instructors or the DZO, but the rule is that you must be as positive as possible whenever your are around the student.
It should take way more than just 5 jumps before OSB..:D
OSB = Other Sports Beckon..........lol.........:)Emmie I'll jump with you...........
I got spring fever.........I can't come in today.....B|.........
B|Seb

I have talked behing students backs to other instructors

And I thought you were talking bad about me to the students!!!
Seriously, Emmie, You may need some extra help in trouble areas to pass all the levels. However, it is up to the instructor to teach you how to overcome your problems. If the one "gentleman" can not provide good instruction, find another instructor or DZ that can work with you.
Come on out to CA. If your afraid to jump with Seb, I'll go up with youB|.
:::OK, Canopy is Open, No Traffic Around, .. Why are these "Extra" Lines Draping Down??, Damn!

Emmie~
Rule of thumb here is this: Just because one is a good skydiver does NOT make them a good teacher, and some of the best teachers are not great skydivers! Hang in there! Really there are those that will help you as much as they can simply because they love the sport and want to perpetuate it. I'll jump with you any day! Oregon, Arizona or how about dollar days in Iowa? Yahooooooooo
It only takes a little pixie dust......

Thanks alot you guys. I needed the encouragement. I'm gonna book tickets for the end of March, get my ass to Florida, and come back a skygodess. Hey, if Steven Baldvin could do it so can I right?
Seriously thought, I think that jm's job is to encourage the student, and not to give them shit, especially when they themselves screw up on the jumps. I think that since I was his 1st student, he felt like it would reflect bad on him when I did anything wrong, so that put the pressure on me to do it for his sake. It's a long weird story, but thanks so much for making me feel better. :D

Hi Emmie, don't let one bad instructor get you down...every one in this sport started out the same way standing at that door looking down with zero jumps thinking shit what am i doing... then after that jump falling in love with the sport.. you should see my first jump video....we all learn at a different pace... so if you love the feeling when you leep out of that plane never give up... there are more of us that will support and help you than their are that will bad mouth you ... don't give up ....
come on down to ohio CLEVELAND PARACHUTE CENTER and talk to marry O she is an AFF instructor she will get you whare you need to be ... she is great!!!!! well good luck...
just jump!!!!
gopher

Don't worry find a new Instructor and you'll be fine. During my AFF I think I did enough of unintentional free flying. Spinning, tumbling, flipping I did all of it, but not once did my JM tell that I wouldn't come through. And sure enough on my 10th jump as if magically I was suddenly in control of my entire skydive. It was an amazing feeling to be able to flip when I wanted to and not when the wind wanted me too. The point being, I kept trying to work it out because my JM encouraged me too. The only time you won't become a Skydiver is if you choose not too. If you have the desire of stepping out of a plane and really feel the passion of wanting to do it then you will become a skydiver. It doesn't matter if you do it in 8 jumps or 30 jumps. The point is you want to fly and that you will.

The only time you won't become a Skydiver is if you choose not too. If you have the desire of stepping out of a plane and really feel the passion of wanting to do it then you will become a skydiver. It doesn't matter if you do it in 8 jumps or 30 jumps. The point is you want to fly and that you will.

Well said. There are plenty of instructors out there who will encourage you and will be able to truly teach you.
Keep at it, it will come!
Anne

I still suck, but god I have fun...
We all learn at different rates with different styles. Find an instructor who matches your style. Apparently your last instructor just wasn't that versatile, which reflects on his proficiency, not yours. Hang in there!
be safe, have fun, Hixxx
"Sous ma tub, Dr. Suess ma tub" :S

Don't sweat it. Maybe someone mis-interrpted what the instructor said or fabricated what the instructor said. If the instructor is talking to anyone other than another instructor or the student about the students performance, especially in less than positive terms, they are being rather un-professional - is it possible to request a different instructor (not so much to not be put with the instructor in question, but request a specific instructor because you "really enjoy jumping with them".).
As one proverb went, "There is no such thing as a poor student, only a poor teacher." - my experience outside skydiving is that anyone can be taught anything, given the teacher can communicate, the student is willing to learn - and both have patience to see the learning experience through.
(Psst, at least you weren't told, "Maybe you should consider taking up finshing instead?" - I was once, 3 years ago ;))

I think the key was in your 2nd post there .... "his first student" ! Hopefully, he'll learn to deal with the fact that a lot of beginners aren't going to do everything right the first time he jumps with them. I agree with the other posts - find a different JM to work with. I'm pretty much a newbie at it too, but thanks to an ear problem that limits me to one jump every week to 10 days, have spent a lot of time sitting around the dz talking with folks, and from what most JM's I've talked with tell me, the only time they would discourage anyone from continuing is if they (stress the they ... more than one JM having input) felt that the student just didn't have the mental makeup to be able to make quick decisions to save their lives (some people DO just seem to freak out in pressure situations).

ok the instructor probably shoulda used some tact here. we all agree!:)but if it helps emmie-
i was watching the record event(200+ way jump, old replay of guiness or some show like it) this includes over 200 of the top world class skydivers. unfortunately we lost one but they went on to acheive thier goal in her memory. well while they were practicing the cut a bunch of the (world class) skydivers for being wreckless! roger nelson ripped into one guy b/c he wasnt pulling his weight. i dont know if i mentioned that these were all WORLD CLASS SKYDIVERS.
my piont here is just b/c you have a LOT of experience doenst mean you will always be good enough! keep trying emmie, we all suck in the beginning.
maybe look at the instructor from afar-
maybe he/she was just having a BAD DAY and felt like venting; if so he may have over xaggerated his comments. (though he/she would still be wrong, it may explain some things.) or it could just be they the instructor was just an asshole. ;) haha
getting high is fun, but coming down is the best part
JT

Remember that you're into it to have fun.
I'm one of the worst skydivers that ever lived, but I know a couple things: (1) I can pull my ripcord, (2) I can handle a malfunction, and (3), I can land without dying.
In order to jump by myself, I had to learn a few more things. I had to gain confidence that I could (A) stop a spin, (B) gain stability if lost, and (C) pull that ripcord even if I fail at (a) and (b).
Fuck it. Have fun. Spend some more money if you don't get it right away. Realize that on each student jump you don't *have* to accomplish anything other than LIVE. If you live, you can do the rest later.

What fred said!
Also, if the instructor in question isn't the dzo or chief instructor, take it up with them. If they don't take you seriously or if the instructor with the problem is the dzo or chief instructor I'd suggest taking your business elsewhere.
At the least, refuse to jump with that instructor again. You're paying a lot of money to learn to skydive; you deserve to be jumping with someone you are comfortable with and whose teaching style meshes well with your learning style.
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?