ramon

Politician quotes 1

A new series....humor only
"I stand behind all my misstatements"
Dan Quayle
"Outside of killings, [washington] has one of the lowest crime rates in the country."
Mayor Marion Barry
"Hawaii has always been a very pivotal role in the Pacific. It is in the Pacific. It is a part of the United States that is an Island that is right here."
VP Dan Quayle, during a visit to Hawaii in 1989

my ALL time favorite:
George Bush Sr.
"Read My Lips....There Will Be No More Taxes!"
four days later....guess what?
Richard
"Look At Me....I Take It To Work On Time, You Can Bet I Do, What, Do You Think I'm Broke? Look At Me, I Obey The System, I Take It To Court On Time When I Have To! Look At Me....I'm Kind....Just Not Your Kind!" If There's A New Way, Well....I'll Be The First In Line....But It BETTER Work This Time!
Dave Mustaine
MegaDeth

It's wonderful to be here in the great state of Chicago.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle, 4/30/91
We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a part of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a part of Europe.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle
I love California; I practically grew up in Phoenix.
Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.
-- Senator Dan Quayle, 10/30/88 (reported in Esquire, 8/92 and the LA Times, 10/30/88)
They asked me to go in front of the Reagans. I'm not used to going in front of President Reagan, so we went out behind the Bushes.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle after the swearing in ceremony on Inauguration Day, 1/20/89. No, he's not discussing his sanitary habits. (reported in the NY Daily News, 1/21/89)
It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it.
The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century.
-- Senator Dan Quayle, 9/15/88 (reported in Esquire, 8/92, The New Yorker, 10/10/88, p.102)
If we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle, to the Phoenix Republican Forum, 3/23/90 (reported in Esquire, 8/92) Also reported by Reuters, 5/2/90
What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle winning friends while speaking to the United Negro College Fund, 5/9/89 This gem has been added to Bartlett's `Familiar Quotations'. (reported in Esquire, 8/92) (reported in the NY Times, 12/9/92)
Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child.
-- Senator Dan Quayle, US News and World Report (10/10/88)
Mars is essentially in the same orbit... Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle, 8/11/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)
I'll stop now.

Yeah, I'm not sure how many of those quotes actually happened. It turns out that he didn't actually say all the outrageous quotes attributed to him. Some of those same quotes were recycled in books & emails etc. and then attributed to George W. Bush.
Speed Racer
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!"

One time I got two emails forwarded to me in the same day, with all those identical quotes, except edited to fit one's political party... one of them attributed them all to George W., the other one attributed them all to Al Gore. And they say the internet is good because we can be better informed!
M

stuff including incorrectly judging a spelling bee!

It wouldn't take a vice president to do that! A lot of people on this forum could do it:
It's wierd. On this forum their all spelling like a bunch of loosers. I don't know what their doing here that would cause them to loose they're ability to spell.;)
Speed Racer

I before E except after C
I beleive that if most people rememberd their elemantery school grammer , weed be better off...
conjunction junction, what's your function?
baby's hungry and the money's all gone. the folks back home don't want to talk on the phone.

I think that homophones trip-up more people than anything else. That and there are a few users that insist on hitting the comma key four or five times in a row,,,, you know? Does that mean I should take a really, really, long pause when I read? Maybe two semicolons worth? A period and a half?
--
Brian

I learned more stuff off of those kid shows......remember this one.....try to get the tune right....
"We the peoplleeee
In or der to form a more per fect u nion
establish justice and ensure domestic tranquility......
pro vide for the common defense
promote the general welfare a-nd
secure the blessings of liberty for ourselves and our propsperity do ordaaaaain and esta-a-a-blish this Constitutioooon for the.....United States o-o-o-f A mer ri ca......fo-or the United States o-o-o-of A mer ri ca.
I still have to sing it to remember it, though (I hate to admit)
Eve was framed!
http://home.earthlink.net/~linzwalley

All major pet peeves of mine,,,, one of my biggest,,, though,,,, is people's tendency to pluralize thing's by using an apostrophe "s". That's a conjunction or a possessive,,,, those aren't plural's! Dammit...
And Don't Get Me Started On People Who Capitalize Every Word They Write!
Grammar Nazi Marc

Well, that may be, but I'm not judging a contest either!
Gale
PS I agree that a lot of the spelling and grammar on this forum is really bad but I think some of that is people for whom english is not their first language. Of course, reading through the post before you submit it would help everyone. ;)
Life's not worth living if you can't feel alive

We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a part of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a part of Europe.

Gotta love this logic...
God is Love.
Love is blind.
Ray Charles is Blind.
So therefore, Ray Charles is God.
;)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

i learned more about grammar and the american political system between saturday morning cartoons than i did in school! schoolhouse rock rocks!
...hookin' up words and phrases and clauses.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bunky
get crazy, before it gets you.

Once I went to see a show at the Bronco Bowl in Dallas with a friend, another copy editor. There's a big sign there. It says:
NO INS' OR OUTS'
Angie and I looked at it, at each other, said in unison, "Plural posessive?!" and laughed until we cried.
Geekiness comes in many forms.
But yeah,,,,,ppl do seem to loose there ability to speel in the forums. Maybe the elyptical canopies are addling they're brains.
The door is open
We are way the fuck up here
Might as well get out.
~ FallingMarc

This poem is composed entirely of actual quotes from
George W. Bush. The quotes have been arranged for
aesthetic purposes by Washington Post writer Richard
Thompson. Too good not to share, especially during
National Poetry Month...
MAKE THE PIE HIGHER
by George W. Bush
I think we all agree, the past is over.
This is still a dangerous world.
It's a world of madmen and uncertainty
and potential mental losses.
Rarely is the question asked
Is our children learning?
Will the highways of the Internet become more few?
How many hands have I shaked?
They misunderestimate me.
I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity.
I know that the human being and the fish can coexist.
Families is where our nation finds hope, where
our wings take dream.
Put food on your family!
Knock down the tollbooth!
Vulcanize Society!
Make the pie higher! Make the pie higher!
:D
Speed Racer

Quotes from George W Bush:
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating."
--U.S. News & World Report, April 3, 2000
"Rarely is the question asked: is our children learning"
--Florence, SC, Jan. 11, 2000
"It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it."
--Reuters, May 5, 2000
"I think we agree, the past is over."
--On his meeting with John McCain, Dallas Morning News, May 10, 2000
"Laura and I really don't realize how bright our children is sometime until we get an objective analysis."
--Meet the Press, April 15, 2000
"I was raised in the West. The west of Texas. It's pretty close to California. In more ways than Washington, D.C., is close to California."
--Los Angeles Times, April 8, 2000
"I understand small business growth. I was one."
--New York Daily News, Feb. 19, 2000
"How do you know if you don't measure if you have a system that simply suckles kids through?"
--Explaining the need for educational accountability, Beaufort, S.C.,Feb.16, 2000
"The senator has got to understand if he's going to have he can't have it both ways. He can't take the high horse and then claim the low road."
--To reporters in Florence, S.C., Feb. 17, 2000
"We ought to make the pie higher."
-South Carolina Republican Debate, Feb. 15, 2000
"The most important job is not to be governor, or first lady in my case."
--Pella, Iowa, as quoted in the San Antonio Express News, Jan. 30, 2000"
"This is Preservation Month. I appreciate preservation. It's what you do when you run for president. You gotta preserve."
--Speaking during Perseverance Month at Fairgrounds Elementary School in Nashua, N.H.
"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
--Greater Nashua, N.H., Chamber of Commerce, Jan. 27, 2000
"There needs to be debates, like we're going through. There needs to be townhall meetings. There needs to be travel. This is a huge country."
--Larry King Live, Dec. 16, 1999
"Keep good relations with the Grecians."
--Quoted in the Economist, June 12, 1999
"I did denounce it. I de-I denounced it. I denounced interracial dating. I denounced anti-Catholic bigacy... bigotry."
--Referring to his Bob Jones University visit and the subsequent criticism, Virginia, February 25, 2000
"I would have said yes to abortion if only it was right. I mean, yeah it's right. Well no it's not right that's why I said no to it."
--South Carolina, February 14,2000
"My [tax cut] plan is realistic because it avoids meaningless 15-year projections."
--George W. Bush goes to extraordinary lengths to defend his tax cut plan. (Quote is from a Bush speech in Iowa, 12/1/99)
"The fundamental question is: 'Will I be a successful president when it comes to foreign policy?' I will be, but until I'm the president, it's going to be hard for me to verify that I think I'll be more effective."
--New York Times, 7/28/99
"There ought to limits to freedom"
--at a Press conference at the Texas State House, May 21, 1999, referring to GWBush.com
"We have struggle to not proceed but to preceed to the future of a nation's child."
--Journal Gazette 11/12/00
"My opponent seems to think that Social Security is a federal program. I believe that money is yours and you should be able to invest it yourself."
-The final Presidential debate
"Down in Washington they're playing with Social Security like it's some kind of government program!"
-NBC Nightly News
"The reason we start a war is to fight a war, win a war, thereby causing no more war!"
--The first Presidential debate
"They said, 'You know, this issue doesn't seem to resignate [sic] with the people.' And I said, you know something? Whether it resignates [sic] or not doesn't matter to me, because I stand for doing what's the right thing, and what the right thing is hearing the voices of people who work.
--Portland, Ore., Oct. 31, 2000
"It's your money. You paid for it."
--LaCrosse, Wis., Oct. 18, 2000
"It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It's not only life of babies, but it's life of children living in, you know, the dark dungeons of the Internet.
-Arlington Heights, Ill., Oct. 24, 2000
"It's going to require numerous IRA agents."
--On Gore's tax plan, Greensboro, N.C., Oct. 10, 2000
"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000
"Will the highways on the Internet become more few?"
--Concord, N.H., Jan. 29, 2000
"It is clear our nation is reliant upon big foreign oil. More and more of our imports come from overseas."
--Beaverton, Ore., Sep. 25, 2000
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier...just as long as I'm the dictator..."
--Washington, DC, Dec 18, 2000, during his first trip to Washington as President-Elect
"They misunderestimated me."
--Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000
"That's a chapter, the last chapter of the 20th, 20th, the 21st century that most of us would rather forget. The last chapter of the 20th century. This is the first chapter of the 21st century."
--On the Lewinsky scandal, Arlington Heights, Ill., Oct. 24, 2000"
"There's a huge trust. I see it all the time when people come up to me and say, 'I don't want you to let me down again.'"
— Boston, Massachusetts, October 3, 2000
"I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to answer questions. I can't answer your question"
--Reynoldsburg, Ohio, October 4, 2000
"You teach a child to read and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test."
--February 21, 2001 - President Bush at Townsend Elementary School, touting his education reform plans.
-bill von