Merrick

Airbrush experience...

Well, I just finished airbrushing my Z1, and it actually looks pretty good I must say.... BUT, I've never used airbrush paint before, and it scratches really easy, I wanted to put a clear coat on it (& buff it out like you would on a car), but couldn't find any at Hobby Lobby. Does anybody have any experience airbrushing, is there anything else I could spray on it to seal the paint & protect it?
My first mistake was not sanding down the entire helmet & completely redoing the basecoat as well (the black), but that doesn't have anything to do with the scratching. Hmmm.... Help!! lol
<----- Picture!
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

Well you could just sit it on the shelf.It wont get scratched there! or you could jump it during the interim and fix it when it gets al crappy looking. I know a guy who does cool paint jobs...oh wait a second. thats you! whatre worried about If i could paint like that Id change it every month.
getting high is fun, but coming down is the best part
JT

Merrick,
I use an airbrush in some of my taxidermy projects, turkey heads, deer eyes and noses, etc. Some type of clear coat is needed whether glossy or matte to protect the paint. I use a matte finish from a spray can for this. I did repaint an old protec helmet once with spray cans. It looked nice for a short time until it started getting scratched and even cracked in a few places. I know there are some methods of making this work, but my results looked pretty shabby after a month or two of use. If you find a method that works let me know. I like tinkering on stuff like this, but I'm afraid to paint my Z-1. I don't want to mess it up. Steve

ROFL - Hey thanks guys, I didn't think it looked that good! lol
I may end up having to redo it, but if I do, I'll just repaint the whole thing & do it right this time, and ORDER the clear coat before I start... Who knows. Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully I can find something for it so I don't have to redo it!
Keith, I replied to your PM, but got an error, it probably went thru anyway tho!
Blues!

Well, after I showed Pam my Helmet she wanted me to do something to hers as well... So, here's a few pics of our new custom helmets.... Nuthin' special, but it's better than plain black or white with stickers plastered all over. LOL I'm like Henry Ford... "You can have any design you want, as long as it's Flames!" LOL ;)
Oh, and I found a decent clear-coat that took care of all my problems, they look pretty kick ass now, and very hard to scratch now. :)Yes, Pam's face-shield is gone, I've ordered her a new one (her old plastic was thrashed!).
Blues!

Ahh, thanks Kris... I honestly couldn't tell you what clearcoat I ended up using, I tore the label off. LOL I can tell you that it is kind of soft as well, and it didn't really give me that shinny finish I wanted, but what can you do... as long as it all won't scratch off too easy I'm cool with it.
Pam & I have missed you guys, I still haven't gotten my container, but we had planned on coming out this weekend anyway..... But, as I'm sure you know, the weather sucked. we have to go see mom next weekend so we'll try to sneak out to the DZ for a few jumps... otherwise we won't see you guys before we move.... only a few weeks left & we're off to NC. :D
Blues man!

Merrick,
Here is a lesson for you....
You can't show off a custom paint job with flames by photographing it on a comforter with flowers.
It just doesn't work. :D
Justin
PS The exception would be if the helmet with flames were being worn by an otherwise naked woman lying on the flower comforter. That would work. ;)