Derekbox

Dating Skydivers???

Almost immediatly after landing my first jump, I realized I was in this for life. It is in my blood. So I figured at the time, itd probably be in my best interest NOT to get involved with anyone 1) who is not into skydiving or 2) not willing to at least try or 3) at least has tried, but decided it wasnt for them (but thats streching it).
So now I ask you... Am I crazy or what? I have been in a relationship or 2 where the significant other got the impression that my hobbies (sex if you can believe that) were more important than the relationship, and then I got to watch it go down the drain. I want my newfound love to be something I can share with the person I love. Im not opposed to dating whuffos, i just dont think its in my best interest. I think most ppl understand the "thrill" involved with skydiving, but very few can comprehend the true essence of it all (shit its hard for me to comprehend it all. But the whole: "how was skydiving affect me?" thing is a whole other thread) So does this make sense? So anyways. If you have any stories, suggestions, comments, etc. Id appreciate it.
Derek
P.S. She wants to do it, is just scared to try cause of the ear equalization problem. So thats a good sign.
->"Will work for jumps"
->Daytona Beach Fl
->DZ: Deland
->AIM: Derekbox

Hmmm....since I started skydiving I've dated 1 wuffo, it didn't work out, not because I was skydiving, but because he decided to spend a year traveling abroad in Asia. Other than that I've only dated skydivers, and it can be really awkward when you break up and still jump at the same DZ especially if it was a bad break up. Of course a week from Monday is Derek’s and mine’s 1 year anniversary so skydiving relationships can definitely work out, it does help though that we have other interests in common besides skydiving, like biking, hiking, and camping. Cause if all you have in common is skydiving you will eventually get bored with nothing else to talk about.

It doesn't really matters if she jumps or no, what matters is if she accepts it or no. If its a no then its a problem, if its a yes then there will be demands from her, something like "I accept your skydiving, now you must accept my private spanish classes with Bubba or Gianni ;)."
"Life is full of danger, so why be afraid?"
drenaline

Whuffos are boring-- Im not just talking about NONSKYDIVERS!! Whuffo-ism carries through every aspect of life! if you arew a skydiver you are almost guaranteed to have an open mind about LIVING life. where as Whuffos would call it taking risks. asking why do you want to "insert anything here" seems to be ONE way of life.skydiving is another.
I actually call the girls I like to date..."girls extreme"
I.E. I like my girls EXTREME.
If a girl I dated sold my tv behind my back so we could go on a three day trip to the DZ...I would smile give her a great big hug and propose. sell my couch while your at it hon! I dont want to get used to sitting in it! lets go live life while everybody else watches it!
(in fact the only reason I have a tv is b/c I want to watch my jumps and other skydive stuff!! seriously)
Have fun, Live free, SKYDIVE!!T
http://community.webshots.com/user/jtval100

I was in a seminar with another so called "Catalyst" at Nike.
One of the first things that he did was stand up and say.."Who in here is a risk taker?" My hand shot straight up in the air, the only one in the group that did. He then said" Okay if you think you are a risk taker then take this envelope and do whatever it says inside infront of this group of your peers" I said alright and took the envelope. Inside the envelope was a note that read "enjoy" and a $50 bill. I said "thank you I will and thanks for paying for my next jump!" The speaker looked at me and said "what do you mean jump?" My reply was....."Why I jump out of not so perfectly good airplanes!"
His eyes widened and he declared that I was definatley one that chooses to live in life rather than on the sideline watching it go by........I couldn't agree more. Date a whuffo? Um no I don't think so, course I might have to start following some of Val's dating rules! LMAO
Cheers!
"Cheeky lil' thing aren't ya?" sez Ash

After 3 years in the sport...I'd rather date a wuffo. Unless you are totally in love with this person , you will see their face very weekend and during the week, and when it doens't work , you will still see them at the DZ.
A wuffo that has a hobby and does not mind me doing my hobby 2 weekends a month would be ideal.
Ramon (recently single after 2 year DZ relation ship disaster)
:(
"wee girls on a skydive road trip on big bikes...... yikes, dykes and bikes kinda thing...... ", David McKelvie

I can't see that it's a critical decision. I mean, whether or not your partner shares your hobby (even a great big powerful one like skydiving) shouldn't be a make-it-or-break-it consideration. A relationship shouldn't be based on silly "joint interests" like musical tastes, fashion, hobbies, etc. Those things come and go.
On the other hand, my boyfriend and I jump together and I love it.
"Flying without feathers is not easy; my wings have no feathers" -- Titus Maccius Plautus, 220 B.C.

Here's something interesting I've found lately: when I talk to guys that don't skydive and I say that I do, they really don't like that. I think it's a macho thing, like I have bigger balls than them (might be true). It makes them kind of hostile. Weird. I'm sure not all guys are like this but it surprises me how many of them there are.
Oh, and would I date a whuffo? Well, our dz is so small that dating within that pool would be, um, limiting, so I guess it's a whuffo for me.
Gale
Isn't life the strangest thing you've ever seen?

Every relationship that I have had wit non skydivers since I started skydiving(5 years ago) has made my winters bearable....however, not a single one lasted through the summer.
Chics can be a serious drain on good jump money.
-If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you do not understand the gravity of the situation!

Even though Im getting married .I have to agdmit ...... it would be nice to have a boyfriend or husband that skydived too. The moral support would be nice instead of hearing I worry about you....I do not care if you stop........I would rather have someone say Hey Tiff the sun is shinning the wind is low...come on Lets go jump you will rock........My boyfriend thiks he wants to get a life insurance policy for me......Is that suspose to boost my confidence? hummmm.........
" ah geez" "The two of you's dummy up" !
Archie Bunker

There is not a single whuffo guy out there anywhere that would understand me going to the dz EVERY sunny weekend and even many of the rainy ones. And I want someone who will be as excited about all the cool stuff I am learning in the air as I am instead of someone whose eyes glaze over. Not to mention only another skydiver would understand that getting naked at the dz is NOT cheating.;)

Chics are always a drain on a dudes money.....Thats just the way it is

That statement is SO not true. I usually end up helping anyone I am with to save money. I'm not into jewelry, new clothes, ridiculous expensive things, etc. Don't believe in gifts for anniversary or valentines etc. Just give me sex and freedom to jump!
dove

Actually have alot of the same intrests is important....you may think being with someone that is totally different is cool and exciting...but trust me...the thrill will founder........... The sex will founder it will all go to hell........make sure you find someone as close as you can to your common intrests.......
" ah geez" "The two of you's dummy up" !
Archie Bunker

Hmmmm.... I was the one dancing on the benches and on the bar.... also competing in strength and flexibility contests. Er, I had been doing some drinkin' too.
Rigs may be expensive but they aren't ridiculous - they are a necessity!
dove

Personally, I am getting kind of tired of explaining myself to my non-skydiving friends. guys included. I guess if I wouldn't straight out blow someone off because they don't jump, but I would be leary of getting involved. Life these days is complicated enough trying to salvage my whuffo friendships. (sorry--guess I blew off some steam)
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.

at least its only his arm you invisioned him throwing:)

Perfect! I've been looking for a new master.

cool Im working on mastering "perfection." we could strengthen eachothers weakness'
toghether we will be invincible muuwwahhhahahahah!
(ok so maybe I went a little over the edge:)[reminded of Jack] YOU MAKE ME WANT TO BE A BETTER MAN! [Nicholson]
Have fun, Live free, SKYDIVE!!T
http://community.webshots.com/user/jtval100