A12

Pre-jump Jitters?

I was just wondering if anyone else gets pre-jump jitters?

I've only jumped 9 times, but everytime I get into the plane, I get REALLY nervous. I don't know why, I'm not afraid of dying or anything...I actually can't think of any time that I have been worried about my chute not opening etc...

But I do get sick to my stomache everytime I reach about 11,000ft and I think about jumping from the plane. AS soon as I get to the door and focus on the jump, I have the BEST fricken time of my life and I wanna do it again...

Anyone else have the same feelings?
If you want to fly, get out of the plane!

My Homepage
My Blogger

Its called door-fear and everyone has had it at some point. I quit getting it at about 30 jumps or so. Its totally normal, dude. Hell, a very good friend of mine would throw up in the morning from nerves when we got to the DZ. Once he did that he'd be fine and he quit doing that around 30 jumps or so and he's a good jumper now, having a blast.

Just reassure yourself that everything is cool, you're going to have fun. I found that if I looked out the windows while climbing I'd feel better. Good luck dude!:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Man- I know EXACTLY where you're coming from! Been there 100% - All I can tell you is- Relax as best you can, bullshit with the others on the plane, go over the dive plan in your head, review your emergency procedures, and try not think about the actual nervous- If you know you're gonna be rockin' once you're out the door, concentrate on how good that buzz is going to be- I had the the same thing for about 30- 40 jumps or so (not that long ago- I'm just getting past # 65 myself-) I would be so f*cking nervous - Then as soon as I landed I couldn't wait to manifest again! The more you jump the less it will bother you, But I've talked to guys with 1,000's of jumps (who hasn't?) and they still get it a little- So you're not alone-
Sorry for carrying on so long---
Blue Ones, Bro!
-Lenny

Easy Does It

after 200+ skydives, i still feel uneasy at times....the jump itself helps more than anything...it's a leap of faith, ya know?? After getting on the ground, my psychological batteries are charged up for an entire weekend!

It is a natural thing to feel uneasy about things...if you didn't at your level, i would wonder about ya!
*remember, skydiving is fun, but it's serious fun!*

You are not alone... I still, admittedly, get butterflies around 12 thou-, but they go away when I hear "DOOR!" What's weird is that I don't seem to get them when I jump with students. Doing CF this weekend I had them, but not while slamming into other canopies. Weird.:S And I have around 500.

I used to think about skydiving all week long and just couldn't wait for the weekend so I could jump. Then on Saturday morning I'd get all weirded out and pray for rain so I wouldn't HAVE to jump. But once I made the first one I was like "what was I thinking?!" I never could put my finger on it - what I was scared of. Just don't let it get you..... one jump is all it takes.

I think it's just the mind's way of letting you know it isn't so sure IT wants to do what you're gonna subject it to ... LOL. Since I only get to do one a week (ear problem) .. I go thru that in a minor way nearly every jump still. I agree with some of the other advice ... deep breaths, distract yourself with dive plan, bs with others, etc. and it disappears. For me, it's usually mainly right after takeoff ... higher I get, the closer I know I am to going out the door, so mine gets better as we climb.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

OH YEAH!!!!!
That's what makes it such a great sport. You never really lose that feeling. The terror (jitters) you feel in the student stage will turn into a pleasant nervous RUSH! Jumping with students brings it all back! I'll admit that tandems are not like doing some awesome freeflying with my friends, but scooting toward the door with a screaming student is an awesome experience as well. You know what they're feeling cuz you're feeling it too. AWESOME!!!

I think we've all been there. I call it "door fear" and after Level 8, it seems to go away.

Last summer when I was doing nothing but mostly hop and pops a bit of the "phear" returned one time when I decided at random that I wanted to do a high-pull. I don't know why I was nervious going up to altitude other than I was used so used to going to 5 grand, getting out at 14 made me nervous. Guess I don't like heights. :P

Jumping with students brings it all back!

Sure, Johnny - feelings do differ from climb to climb but for me there is one excitement point for sure - when the door opens on halfway to the altitude and IAD students stand up and grab for their pc-s :o
villem
life is what you make it to be
http://www.youtube.com/villu357
http://www.flickr.com/photos/skybound

It happened for me too. When I was on student status, I popped Pepto- Bismol in my mouth all the way to the dz. I had such a nervous stomach, I ended up losing 60 pounds! The only times I get some butterfiles now is when I do something new, like a new exit, or new dive plan. Most other times, you'll see me yawning and closing my eyes on the plane. I lost that big nervous feeling about the same time as everyone else, around 30-40 jumps.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

everyone gets nervous (i think)...if your not at least a little nervous about jumping out of a plane then that would be abnormal not the other way round
on my second freefall i even declined and went down with the plane (its all good now..19 jumps B|..lol) so there's nothing wrong with jitters

I still get jittery when riding in a C182. The ride to altitude is so long and boring, i have way too much time to think. Put me in the otter or casa and i'm all good though.:)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

What a timely post. :)
Over the weekend I did my 4th AFF jump. I am sure it is slightly different at each DZ but this is the one where they let you fall unassisted. (well once your out of the plane that is) On the ride up (in a 182 :P) I kept getting this nervous feeling. This little voice kept telling me that I was on my own this time, no one to save me. As stated above, once the door opened I was fine and the jump when well.

I'm just glad I am not alone and that I now have a name for it... DOOR FEAR B|

I had was thru AFF in 9 jumps. On jump 15-20 I had the worst case of nerves. I suddenly realized skydiving was dangerous. "Why AM I jumping out of an airplane? I've done it 17 times and lived. What if I go in on this one?"

It's normal. It will pass. When I'm in the plane, I review safety procedures and do some deep breathing/ relaxation. I also get anticipation jitters driving to the DZ. And sometimes when I think about making the first jump of the night.

I figure the jitters are just a healthy reminder/ opportunity to mentally reherse emergency procedures.

-Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I was just wondering if anyone else gets pre-jump jitters?

Been there, had that. ;)

The closer we came to jump run, the scarier it got. Then seeing the experienced jumpers go out, I used to think "Hell, I may have travelled 9,000 miles for this, but this is definately gonna be my last jump, this is so not for me":o:(:(:(

But then, when the time came for me to get into position, the fears went right out the door before I got out myself. And once I got past the level 6/7/8 stage (about 15 jumps or so) I no longer freaked out in the plane any more. Right now I can sit next to an open door no problem.

Back when I still suffered from door fear I noticed something interesting. For some reason I was usually the first student to go out and I always hoped that we would do a go-around. I guess a go-around gave me some time to put my mind at ease somewhat.

Final note: one may slightly suffer from door fear again the first (couple of) jump(s) after a long lay-off. Being current helps against door fear.
And five hundred entirely naked women dropped out of the sky on parachutes.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

A shrink published a study on this a LONG time ago in PARACHUTIST. If I remember right, his conclusion was that stress (fear) maxed at the point where the go/no-go decision was actually made. For newbies it was in the door or maybe climbing into the plane. For those with more experience, it was the night before jumping (when you made the decision whether or not to go to the DZ tomorrow -- once you were there you knew you'd jump, so the stress level dropped).

A little fear keeps ya' honest!

Blue w/Cu,

Bravo-niner

"Hell, I may have travelled 9,000 miles for this, but this is definately gonna be my last jump, this is so not for me":o:(:(:(

yeah i was exactly the same! i'd be in the plane and i'd be like...this is way to scary..this'll be the last time i do it and then i get down on the ground and i have a blast and instantly wanna do it agian..lol

Just jump naked.....

Geez, Clay. What did you bring that up for? You just couldn't resist could you...;)
And five hundred entirely naked women dropped out of the sky on parachutes.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy