drenaline

Whuffos are funny! top ten Q's

It's worth the trip to Byron just to hear this one.

We're right on the other side of the Altamont Pass, with one of the biggest windfarms in the country right next to the DZ. So you've got thousands of these propellors on the hills just west of us.

We get winded out pretty regularly. So the hangar is full of skydivers and people waiting to go on tandems when the wind drops down and a whuffo will point to the west and ask:

"Why don't you just turn off those fans?"

Really.

JP

These are some questions I had when I was a student from my friends

whuffo: do you pack your own parachute?
me: no
whuffo: whoah! I'd never let someone else pack it for me! how do you know they did it good? (hmm..I'm thinking they know a bit more than myself at that point)

whuffo: how many times have you jumped?
me: 17 (at the time) I just graduated.
whuffo: cool! so, you can be my instructor now?
me: uh, no.

whuffo:so you like it?
(reply not necessary)

whuffo: so, if I pay the $150, then I get to jump all day for that, right?
me: uh, no. welcome to the wonderful world of ramen noodles.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

As I approached the open door of the Twin Otter a couple of weeks ago with my tandem students the girl quickly yelled "ARE YOU QUALIFIED TO DO THIS?!"

I responded with a "I think so. ready.... set..... gooooo.........................................."

Funny how she decided to ask me right as we took our position in the door:P

I heard this one just this weekend. These guys had done cliff jumping and just wanted to do some skydiving so they "could get certified to BASE jump" because cliff diving doesn't get them high enough.

Yeah, I wonder how many bones of theirs will be broken in the next year.

Gale
I'm drowning...so come inside
Welcome to my...dirty mind

I don't usually post two in a row (think post whore) but I was reading parts of this thread to a co-worker and when I read the one about buying new parachutes for each jump he said

"so they're expensive" and I said "well yeah, at ten grand (CND) a pop you don't want one per jump" and he says:

"it's only cloth and string man."

Uh huh. But this "cloth and string" saves my life. (Clearly physics isn't his area.)

Gale

ten grand (CND)

So that's what, $1.50 US?

No seriously though, since I doubt that the Canadian dollar is really only worth 10 cents to the American dollar, does "grand" mean something other than 1000 in Canadia?

After I told a friend of mine I'd started jumpin she said "well did you want to change your mind once you were fallin?"
A:"Uh..its was kinda too late to change my mind by then.Besides its not like I coulda asked the pilot to find me in midair and tell him I changed my mind and take me back down."

I love my friend to death,but sometimes she aint too bright!

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Newbie jumper at the course:
Q: "Yes, yes, yes, and when can we jump from bridges and when can we skysurf?"
A: "Soon..."

One of my friends, at his first AFF classroom session, asked, straight away, "when do we get to BASE jump?" His instructor reportedly just rolled his eyes.

Funny thing is, my friend now has something like 1050 BASE jumps.

Don't disregard the newbies and whuffos. Sometimes they don't have the mental blocks we've all built for ourselves.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Feel free to write the funniest Q's you have ever been asked.

here is an oldie but a goodie i heard yesterday at a job interview ! : you jump out of a perfectly good airplane? i said have you seen all the ducktape on the plane? i wouldnt call it perfectly good ! ;)

"Trust your Rigger with your Life , but not your Beer or your Wife !"

here is an oldie but a goodie i heard yesterday at a job interview ! : you jump out of a perfectly good airplane? i said have you seen all the ducktape on the plane? i wouldnt call it perfectly good ! ;)

ahahaha! thats classic!
lol..i went for a job interview at kfc (its not sad...i'm only 16..lol) and i was telling the dude about skydiving and he was a pilot! it was real good cos he was enthrawled and gave me the job B| lol..just thought i'd share..seemed alot funnier at the time:P

you jump out of a perfectly good airplane?

my mom is the funniest with this. Every time we are hanging out she will tell random people--"Mary skydives, I don't get it.. WHy would someone jump out of a perfectly good airplae!! I mean, c'mon!" I just look at her with that -you are such a sweet whuffo-look, and say " mom, the door was open."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

I run with a somewhat perverse running group (Hash House Harriers)....Once, we were running & people were asking the 'typical questions about skydiving'--

Girl Whuffo: Have you ever jumped naked?
Me: Well, Sure....
Girl Whuffo: Does it make a noise?
Me: Does what make a noise??
Girl Whuffo: You know....the part we have (as she points down below) that the boys don't?
Me: Well, if you are a fine, upstanding lady like myself, it whistles :)....otherwise, it sounds more like a blowhorn.... ;)

Tee Hee!

--Sonia

BASE & Skydiving= Parachutes

Football & Hockey = Shoulder Pads

Same equipment so same sports?????

Um, very different sports. But the relation isn't quite as simple as football and hockey. You certainly don't have to play football in order to be adequately prepared for hockey. You DO have to skydive to learn the canopy skills that will keep you alive in the BASE environment.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I was explaining to friends that I was getting a weight vest so I could fall quicker.
Smart arse friend of mine Quote.
"If you want to fall quicker why not just attach a bungie cord to the ground?"
He was taking the piss but it was funny all the same.

Well, I was talking new. Plus you have to understand that the exchange rate we get isn't always quite that favourable and there are border duties and stuff. I bought 30 AMD worth of stuff from paragear and ended up paying about 65 CDN.

Yup, it sucks.

Gale

For whatever reason, I seem to get "Why do you even bother to wear a helmet? You know it won't help if you hit the ground going that fast" a lot. Well duh, it keeps me from messing up my hair and losing my goggles!

ROFL!! I'll have to remember that...I've heard that sssooo many times!

A co-worker was asking me about it today (You jump?? Gee, no, all those stickers on my car are my hubby's...I just like to support him!). Sge said she'd like to do it if they'd just let her out about tree height. Um, no, you don't really want that.

There used to be a whuffo FAQ on the net which had many of these questions and others. I did a quick search but couldn't find it. But amazingly some of the "answers" showed up in news reports.

Some answers I've heard to "if both fail..." include "you have 17 seconds to learn how to fly" and "roll up in a ball and aim for the DZ."

HW