jfields

USPA License Changes?

Got this in my e-mail, and wondered if it was true. If so, any thoughts on the matter?

Interesting changes to the licensing requirements.

* USPA Licenses will be aligned with the FAI requirements effective September 30, 2003. The jump number requirements will be the following:
* 25 for a USPA A License
* 50 for a USPA B License
* 200 for a USPA C License
* 500 for a USPA D License

Appropriate changes will also be incorporated into the competition and rating systems to allow for similar jump number requirements that already exist in order to obtain ratings or enter competition. Those who have obtained a license prior to September 30, 2003 will not be required to meet any additional jump numbers if they are below the FAI minimum when they receive their USPA License.

ya but that is a really short time when you are the worlds biggest procrastinator

"I want to be a procrastinator, and I'll get to it tomorrow," -ME :S

Matt
A well-informed person is somebody who has the same views and opinions as yours.

i better hurry up and get my D test done, if that is true... [Wink]

Why? Will you quit after you get your D? Or do you just want your D? And if they change the rules, and make it a little harder, why is that an issue?

No, I am not picking on you or anything - just really curious what the rush is, is all.

Ciels and Pinks-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

[Why? Will you quit after you get your D? Or do you just want your D? And if they change the rules, and make it a little harder, why is that an issue?

No, I am not picking on you or anything - just really curious what the rush is, is all.

'Coz it's a better deal. At $18 a jump, that's $1368 more I'd have to invest where I'm at. Better that money go towards a D than a C.

Boy. Now I'z got to figure a way to come up with that kind of cash before the deadline.

Think I can make 76 jumps in 9 weekends? Think the wife will let me?[:/]

Brian,
I agree 100%. I had a long and heated conversation with Glenn Bangs (chair of the safety committee) about this not being published on the posted agenda. If the general membership had been better informed I think more that 12 people would have showed up at the meeting. It's not that I am for or against the change, its just that something that is going to impact skydiving this greatly should have be posted everywhere that it was going to be on the BOD agenda. And not in a little one line blurb about coming inline with FAI in a committee report.
Look at the impact money wise that this will have on the average jumper. An extra 300 jumps for a D-Lic. @$18 a jump is $5,400. It will give more creditability to the lic. though and make you a more experienced jumper.
Glenn said that the information about the change will be in the September issue of Parachutist.
Best Regards,
Mike

Actually, the news was in my e-mail this morning as part of the USPA S&TA news brief sent out to JM's, instructors & IE's.

Kris

Here's a full cut & paste:

U.S. Parachute Association Publications

Safety & Training Newsletter
A Bulletin for the training community
Vol. 2, Issue 7
August 1, 2002

USPA Tandem Instructor Course Approved By The FAA
The FAA has issued a letter of acceptance recognizing USPA's Tandem Instructor Course. Part 105 requires a tandem instructor to have successfully completed, and been certified, "by the manufacturer of the tandem parachute system…or a course acceptable to the (FAA) Administrator." Prior to FAA acceptance, a tandem instructor must have held a current tandem manufacturer's rating to comply with the regulation. Now, a tandem instructor can hold only a current USPA tandem instructor rating and be in compliance. A USPA Tandem Course Director must be approved by the manufacturer to train individuals for using that manufacturers equipment as a USPA Tandem Instructor. See below for more information regarding tandem skydives.

Coach Course Directors
The USPA website lists current Coach Course Directors divided by Region. There have been requests to add contact information so that it is easier for members to get in touch with a course director near them. If you are a current course director and would like to have your email address or phone number added to the website send an email to [email protected] with the contact information. USPA will not add any contact information without a request from the individual.

July Board of Directors Meeting
The Board Meeting wrapped up on Sunday, July 14 after several long days of work by Board members, USPA staff and Board advisors. Below are the motions that came out of Safety and Training:

USPA Licenses will be aligned with the FAI requirements effective September 30, 2003. The jump number requirements will be the following:
25 for a USPA A License
50 for a USPA B License
200 for a USPA C License
500 for a USPA D License

Appropriate changes will also be incorporated into the competition and rating systems to allow for similar jump number requirements that already exist in order to obtain ratings or enter competition. Those who have obtained a license prior to September 30, 2003 will not be required to meet any additional jump numbers if they are below the FAI minimum when they receive their USPA License.

The Instructional Rating Manual has been approved pending final review by the S&T Committee. The completed manual is targeted for a September 1 release date, once the changes are incorporated from the Board meeting.

The 2003 Skydiver’s Information Manual has been approved pending final review by the S&T Committee. The completed manual is also targeted for a September 1 release date, once the changes from the Board meeting are incorporated. Among the many changes to the SIM are new sections for camera flying and wing suit recommendations.

Several additions to the Basic Safety Requirements were incorporated to address tandem issues:

Demonstration jumps into level 2 areas require a USPA D License with a PRO Rating for all jumpers, including both tandem jump participants.
Contact canopy formation activity is prohibited on tandem jumps.
Tandem jumps into stadiums are prohibited.
Any skydiver acting as a Parachutist In Command on a tandem jump must possess an FAA Class 3 medical certificate or the equivalent.
Tandem jump opening altitude has been changed from 4,000 feet to 4,500 feet.
Intentional back-to-earth or vertical orientations that cause tandem freefall speeds to exceed that of droguefall are prohibited.

Skydivers are to be at least the age of legal majority for jumps using a tandem parachute system. This takes effect February 28, 2003.

Additional Board highlights can be found at http://www.uspa.org/default_copy(1).htm#BOD There will also be a full report in the September issue of Parachutist magazine.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

thanks for the post Kris

Um I for one KNow that I will have 200 jupms (for my current D) before that time...but if I dont its not really that big a deal. I am in it for the long haul. i will have 10's of thousands of jumps befroe I am too old to jump (then I can shoot myself;))
so relatively speaking another 300 jumps is not even a fraction ofthe $$ I will spend on this LIFE STYE!
My photos

My Videos

Look at the impact money wise that this will have on the average jumper. An extra 300 jumps for a D-Lic. @$18 a jump is $5,400. It will give more creditability to the lic. though and make you a more experienced jumper.

500 jumps vs. 200 jumps makes you a more experienced jumper, the D license has nothing to do with that. I don't think that simply upping the jump numbers for the license gives more credibility to the license, upping the requirement does. By upping the requirements I mean things like demonstrated canopy skills (other than simply landing in the peas), demonstrated air skills, etc...

Upping the jump numbers without upping the stakes doesn't mean much I'm afraid.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

somethingsomething... better that money go to a D than a C... something something... Look at the impact money wise that this will have on the average jumper. An extra 300 jumps for a D-Lic. @$18 a jump is $5,400...

Just kinda curious, but how is this actually going to impact the money anybody spends jumping? Are you guys planning to get your D then stop jumping altogether? I don't think my license will affect my "as much as I can afford and feel like" jump schedule. Actually, I think these are way closer to accurate requirements anyway- at 120 jumps, there's no way I'm over halfway to considering myself an "Expert" skydiver.

Just some thoughts.

M