happythoughts

words to live by - what's yours ?

Not as catchy as yours, but hey:
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep."
-Robert Frost, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

If I ventured in the slipstream; Between the via-ducts of your dreams.......could you find me?

There is no limit to how stupid people can be.

Watch what people do, not what they say.

Kids learn how to live with others when you're cursing at the guy driving in front of you, not when you're spending "quality time" with them.

If there are two possible explanations for something, and one involves incompetence and the other involves malice, incompetence wins almost every time.

Group intelligence is always lower than individual intelligence.

Some people aren't going to understand you, so you have to know when to give up.

Most people live their lives based on functional delusions, and exposing those delusions can be very dangerous.

I used to tell my airmen:

1) Never eat at a place called "Mom's",

2) Never play poker with a man named "Doc", and

3) Never lay down with a woman who has more problems than you.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

These aren't words I live by, per say, but I find I say this at least once a day:

"It's a small world."

Words I believe in (and this is not meant to sound harsh, it's just reality, as far as I've experienced:

"The key to success is all about who you know." Whether's it's a friend of a friend of a friend, it doesn't matter. I've just found that I can always get to where I want to go by keeping aquaintences handy.

Okay, and words I live by:

"It never hurts to ask. If you're turned down, so be it. But if you never ask, you'll never know." I can't tell you how much free shit I've aquired just b/c I asked for it. People ask, "how'd you get that person to give that to you?" to which I reply, "i just asked."

"The key to success is all about who you know."
(OK. I haven't got the hang of the quoting thing yet. Bear with me.)
I agree with you to an extent, but I think that getting into a job is only half the battle. You have to keep it. I also try to prepare my own opportunities. A friend once told me "Luck is when training meets opportunity". A friend can get you a job, but you have to do it.
Also, I am in the IT business. I tend to recommend friends because I know their work ethic and I know their personality. If you deal with someone everyday, you don't want them driving you crazy. People I don't know are a gamble.
The one business that you are oh-so-right about is the movie/tv business.