howardwhite

Whadd'ya pay for jumps?

Atlanta Airsportz - Rome, Georgia
The Porter runs Tuesday thru Sunday $19 a jump and we avg around 14K - 14.5K
G.Q.
- GQ

... it was the love of the air and sky and flying, the lure of adventure, the appreciation of beauty ...
-Charles Lindberg

I'm still trying to figure out why there are so many variations when fixed costs can't be all that different.

Real estate prices vary wildly...meaning rent for the dz property or mortgage cost will definitely vary greatly. How big is the landing area at each of these places? Are there buildings/hangers? Swimming pool? Snack bar? Camping area? Swoop pond? RV hookups? Free pizza and/or beer on weekends? TV's to watch videos. Picnic tables? A bar? Fuel prices also vary by region. Another dz down the street providing competition? The type of planes and the maintenance required. The business of the dropzone and how many employees needed. Full time load organizers on staff?

Those are the reasons I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are tons more.

Crosskeys = $17 ($13 Wednesdays)
Carpeted hanger
Huge landing area
Pool
Deck
Tiki Bar
Snack bar
Team rooms
Camping area
Several tvs with vcrs (a couple with big screens)
Aircraft mentioned earlier
Free pizza on Saturday nights
Free load organizing
A lot of other stuff I'm sure I'm missing.

Cross Keys and the Ranch have most of the neat things on PhillyKev's list and are less expensive than most other geographically competitive DZs. Skydive New England in Maine has most of the same and is $20. So is the argument that having a tiki bar and a swoop pond help lower jump rates?

HW
Troublemaker

I wouldn't exactly call Maine and the Philly suburbs geographically competetive. Also remember that individual municipalities usually put a tax on fuel for aircraft that could be a significant source of difference. Also if there's a lower number of jumpers or jumps, or less tandems to mitigate non-per-jump related costs (rent, property tax, etc.) that would account for the increased price.

Too much , way too much.

i'm looking at my credit card statement and it's scaring the shit out of me.

£16 to 12000 high ticket
£12 to 6000 medium ticket
£8 to 4000 low ticket

sometimes we get a bit less altitude due to weather , but sometimes we get a bit more , last lift of the day etc.

Although i do enjoy every penny of it.

:D
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think my attitude stinks you should smell my fingers

Apparently in Turkestan/Turkmenia it is free. You just need to serve 3 years in the local armed forces. But seriously - why would you want to jump in Rhodesia now? Not a very friendly place. Why not try Iraq and North Korea?
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

DZ's charge what the market will bear. If the cost is too high, then the jumpers will find other dz's to jump at. If the jumper is willing to pay the price, then the DZ's stay in business....and if the high cost jump tix DZ retains it's customers, then other dz's in the area will raise their prices, because it has been demonstrated that the cost will be borne, and the customer base will remain.

Free market system, pure and simple.

Ciels and Pinks-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

$17 at Zhills to 13-14K. $16 if you buy 50 tix. Extremely well maintained planes that HAUL ASS to altitude! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

That is entirely true! And Pete our DriverDriver will never let you out in a bad spot. ZHills kicks global butt!!! (TK I hope you will read this)
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

DZ's charge what the market will bear. If the cost is too high, then the jumpers will find other dz's to jump at. If the jumper is willing to pay the price, then the DZ's stay in business....and if the high cost jump tix DZ retains it's customers, then other dz's in the area will raise their prices, because it has been demonstrated that the cost will be borne, and the customer base will remain

not true in my area....all DZ's charge 20bucks..cause one DZ started it..the rest jumped on the band wagon...it SUCKS...so I drive 250miles to jump at a smaller DZ where you can still jump for 18bucks or a 8 dollar cessna hop n pop.....

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

At Our DZ
Winnipeg Skydiving Centre
We pay $26 CDN for a 9000ft load in our 182.
you get a deal if you buy 50 tix early in the season if I am not mistaken it costs around $1000. I don't know for sure cause I have never had that much money at one time to spend on jump tix. Starving student that I was... Now I am just a starving underemployed professional.
for those of you that need an idea of what that is in US dollars check out www.xe.net/currency..

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

The spot rate (just show up) is $20 at the 3 DZ's a lot of us in Chicago use (I don't know about East Troy, Wis. or Millenium in Kankakee). However, package rates run from $15 to $17 / jump (buy 100 jumps at a time) depending upon when you buy. Quite a few of us jump so much we can't afford not to go on package.

From time to time the DZ's around here also run specials by the weekend or for showing up for load one. You need to check the respective Web sites.

Harry
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you can get $15 if you buy in January.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny, yes. But, that rate is locked in for the rest of the year for any other blocks you buy. That's the attraction.

Harry
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Plus The Ranch rocks anyhow. That's one of the attractions for visiting my brother in Greenwich, Conn. Too bad the ride can end up being at least 1.5 hours when the Tappan Zee Bridge is jammed.

Harry

Harry, FB #4143

Yeah. Also, on the market end, number of dropzones nearby and the cost of living in the area relative to other locations may slightly affect the price as well.

Harry

Harry, FB #4143