jessefs

Marijuana in skydiver's system

Ok...true story regarding the reliability of drug testing. I know a guy who was looking for a new job. Thought that he might have to take a test for a new position so abstained from doing anything that would cause trouble. He wasn't a total pot head, but would share a joint every couple weeks or so with a friend. Kept completely away from it for 2 months to make sure there weren't any problems.

Well, day came for a piss test, went and took it with no worries. That night, went to a party and since he already took the test, smoked a boat load of weed. Two days later he gets a certified letter saying that his urine was too diluted for a good test (had two cups of coffee and a glass of oj in the am) and that he would have to take it again in 2 days and if it was diluted again the offer of employment would be rescinded.

So, the guy looks up on the internet how to beat a drug test. Spends the next 2 days eating nothing but red meat to build up creatin levels and taken B-12 to make his urine really dark. Then drank 8 gallons of water before the test, intentionally diluting it. But the extra creatin and B-12 made the test "valid" and he got the job.

Net result: Clean system, bad test
Dirty system, clean test

BTW...this guy worked there for 2 months and was promoted to supervisor of 15 people because he did such a good job (even if he smoked a little pot)

At least that's the story I heard.

Sorry, but I don't think your 0.5% argument is valid.

It's even less then .5

If the odds of a false positive on the first test is 5% and the odds of a false positive on the second test is 0.5%, then you multiply the two to get the odds of a false positive on both of them, or %.025 - pretty good odds, if you ask me.

Manditory drug testing of pilots at DZ's at bigger DZ's is getting more and more common. Instructors should be included as well, IMHO.

I'm getting sick of all the waivers in skydiving. Most of these waivers aren't worth the paper they're printed on if it's the case that the instructor was stoned. When students die because instructors are stoned, the DZO will LOSE in court, it will bankrupt them, and the DZ will close.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

How many of us out there will have a beer or two and get behind the wheel of a car... yet if we have even a sip of a beer while expecting weather to remain for the rest of the day and then all of a sudden blue skies come back out yet we are done jumping for the day. One sip no jump... think about it?

Not me.

I'm getting sick of all the waivers in skydiving. Most of these waivers aren't worth the paper they're printed on if it's the case that the instructor was stoned. When students die because instructors are stoned, the DZO will LOSE in court, it will bankrupt them, and the DZ will close.

_Am

My point exactly, Andy! We will harp on about testing, but when the first big DZ shut down, then everyone, including the ones against drug-testing will want to start getting very proactive to promote "safety."

Let the deaths begin.

pretty good odds until you get that 1 bad test, then you're back at .5 for the next one.

Ok, consider an analogy.

A number frequently going around skydivng is that parachutes "fail to open", about one in a thousand jumps. Or .1% We don't worry about this so much, because we have a reserve, which (as the popular number says) also fails about one jump in a thousand (.1%) Despite this, we don't tend to think of the odds of going in under a double mal as 1 in a thousand, but 1:1000 * 1:1000 = 1:1,000,000 = %.0001. Indeed, it's true. People don't tend to go in under bad reserve if the main had been chopped properly. While people do certainly go in under double-mals, they don't tend to fit the model of one parachute failing, chopped, then the second failing independently of the first. The odds reflect reality.

Whats my point? The odds of two events happening are the multiplied odds of two single events.

_Am
__

how is this helpful information?

...but my question remains unanswered. passmore is dead, this information is not going to save anyone's life, we all know if you jump impaired you could die, therefore rendering the original post useless, it should have never been posted, IMO, because it serves no purpose...

And all those "Boobies" posts, "whats your favorite color" posts, et al are SO useful!

At least this is a relevant skydiving topic and gets a good dialog going (even if it strayed afield somewhat). And it is important and useful to consider the AFF-I / drug use / DZ lawsuit angle as it could affect our sport.

JC

allow me a stats lesson.

the chances of 2 bad tests in a row is in deed 1/200 * 1/200

however, if you already have expereinced 1 bad test, the the odd of another is still 1/200. Same as flipping a coin. if you've flipped it 10 times in a row and got tails every time, the odds of getting tails on the 11th is still 1/2

Assuming there is true randomess in the appearance of wrong results.

My un-educated guess is that its not all that random, and the chances of one person getting a second wrong results after a 1st one is higher.
Remster

I think you miss the point here. If you test positive on the GC/MS test, and your company has a no-drug policy, you WILL be at least suspended/required to go to mandatory rehab/fired or whatever.

BillVon:

no, i would not. because i own my own company.

and this was my post to the original. i checked the poster's profile, he's a student at SDC (3 jumps) not that this says anything about his credibility, that is not in question here, but my question remains unanswered. passmore is dead, this information is not going to save anyone's life, we all know if you jump impaired you could die, therefore rendering the original post useless, it should have never been posted, IMO, because it serves no purpose other than to let us know passmore was stoned when he crashed and burned. if passmore was the poster's brother/son/son-in-law/father, do you think he would have posted it?

Just because YOU don't think the information is usefull does not mean that there are not OTHER people on the board that want to hear about it, what about us newbies?? "this information is not going to save anyone's life, we all know if you jump impaired you could die, therefore rendering the original post useless" ---That's great, let's also not talk about drunk driving, or that cigarettes cause cancer, unprotected sex etc... How in any way is sharing information useless? All I am doing is making the information available to those who otherwise would not have it (or would not bother looking for it). Since obviously 300 jump wonders don't need to hear this you can print it out and wipe your ass with it for all I care.
jesse

<* Spread the Love! *>

but my question remains unanswered. passmore is dead

It's extreemely useful. Every time somebody goes in, we need to figure out why. In this case, there's a pretty simple explanation.

This will serve as a reminder to DZO's and the public at large to be on the lookout for people who are stoned. Nobody needs to be a narc, but pointing out discretely to a S&TA or DZO that somebody shouldn't be jumping today could very well save their life, and won't get them arrested. I've done it - and I saw that guy grounded because of it.

_Am
__

we all know if you jump impaired you could die

Actually I think we don't all know this. There are LOTS of people who jump impaired, and I think most of them truly believe it does not affect their judgment or abilities - in fact I'm afraid some of them actually believe it enhances their abilities.
Of course most people don't learn from others' mistakes, but there's a small chance that a factual post like this could make at least one person change their ways, and that might save at least one life...

this information is not going to save anyone's life, we all know if you jump impaired you could die, therefore rendering the original post useless, it should have never been posted, IMO, because it serves no purpose...

Well if you feel so strongly, I respectfully suggest you keep your 'fricken nose out of this particular thread. As there are over 100 replies here, obviously some of us DO find this thread of value.

^5, Iflyme! If I don't want to mess with a particular thread, I *gasp* DON'T OPEN IT! What a concept! ;)

***how is this helpful information?

and this was my post to the original. i checked the poster's profile, he's a student at SDC (3 jumps) not that this says anything about his credibility, that is not in question here, but my question remains unanswered. passmore is dead, this information is not going to save anyone's life, we all know if you jump impaired you could die, therefore rendering the original post useless, it should have never been posted, IMO, because it serves no purpose other than to let us know passmore was stoned when he crashed and burned. if passmore was the poster's brother/son/son-in-law/father, do you think he would have posted it?

Yes, the original post was a confirmation of a rumor. We know that.

I think what's important that we dwell on is what to do to keep history from repeating itself, and what consequences others' stupid irresponsible mistakes like this will do to our sport.

Skydiving is not a sport for renegades. If drug addicts are boarding the planes stoned, we're going to get a pretty ugly stigma attached to the label "skydiver," which is undeserved.

This thread does serve a purpose.

I think that this thread has lost its purpose,which was questioned in the first place. What I perceived the purpose of this thread was to show indisputable fact that if you jump while high, no matter what the drug of choice (legal or not), it affects your judgement.

The use of drugs and its moral and ethical issue and the screening of them really isnt what was posted. There is no right or wrong answer on these topics since opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one, and they all stink.

Bottom line....if you use any substance that alters your state of mind or judgement and you decide to go jump.....you are a frigging idiot. Natural selection will likely weed you out, while that is unfortunate, what else can you expect when you combine such activites.

What is not ok is that you might just take one of us out with you. I saw this post's intention, while possibly post in the wrong forum, as a wake up call for those who have not seen or heard of a skydiving death that was drug related. A wake up call for either themselves or the option to try to prevent others from partaking in such activites at their personal DZ.

P.S. Who would want to be high during the jump anyways. What a perfectly good way to fuck up an experience that rivals none on earth, or off for that matter. ;)

Christoofa <---- hit it on the head.

I'm totally in agreement with you Jose, and Christoofa. Anyone who jumps while impaired is endangering themselves and others, and I would friggin flip out if one day when my kids go make the tandem they are itching to do, I find out the tandem master has been doing either. I'm very open-minded about whatever anyone wants to do (including myself) after the beer light is on, but like Jose put so well...why screw up a good jump by being high or drunk?

Besides, it looks bad for the rest of us. Shit, I don't like when I hear on the radio some guy this morning talking about how he loves skydiving BECAUSE he can die at it and it won't hurt. It makes the rest of us look like idiots who don't care about life. It's back to the old discussions about trying to get good press for the sport.

I'm thinking that if you are getting that bored with the aspects of how amazing it is to just be up there in the air, or that complacent about the possible dangers, you are asking for a bitch slap from the skydive gods to remind you.

Pamela

Thank you everyone for the confirmation that this post has a purpose. Being new to a sport and community can be a little bit intimidating sometimes and the vast majority of you make it fun, educational, and comfortable. Thank you for that:)jesse

<* Spread the Love! *>

I'd say in a number of ways. First, it goes towards the issue of the continuity of our sport. Second, it is a lesson to be learned about the added danger factor of impaired skydiving. Third, it gives me more information about a particular dropzone.

Continued screw-ups of this nature lead skydiving closer and closer to a point where it becomes unfeasible. Honestly, one major incident with a student/tandem going in could shut a dropzone down completely. Waivers or no waivers, an irate family of a dead student could put enough pressure on a DZ to close it. And that is true whether the DZ is a one Cessna weekend place or a huge multi-turbine facility that runs 365 days. All it would take is for the student to be the son/daughter of the wrong person. When the first major DZ gets shut down, with instructors/DZOs going to jail and/or bankruptcy, a lot of people will question whether the liability of owning/working at a DZ is worth it. And the costs will just continue to rise, for the DZs, and for us.

I won't jump impaired. I'm a lightweight drinker, and won't go further than that. However, I'm not a jerk about it and don't much care what people do after the beer light goes on, as long as they are safe before getting in the air the next day, and not endangering others on the ground. But I hope the people that are on the fringe of this issue take it to heart and reconsider the urge to jump when they really shouldn't.

On to the last issue, and the one most likely to piss some people off. This is my opinion only, and based on events which I haven't witnessed in person. Nonetheless, the number of fatalities trouble me, and they are not disputed.

I think SDC has a major problem. To some degree, the drug use there must be accepted. If it weren't, events like this wouldn't be recurring to the degree they have been. Before jumping to conclusions, I am NOT inferring or stating that everyone there has a problem. I'm sure that most people there are both great folks and safety conscious. A large number of you post here, and I'd be happy to jump with you all some day. DiverDriver has even been a pilot there. I have full confidence in his abilities and firmly believe that he does his job safely and with absolute dedication to the lives of his passengers.

However, there seems to be a huge disconnect between a stated "no drugs" policy and reality. That happens lots of places. But most of them don't involve life-and-death activities. Does it really matter if a desk jockey (like myself) went to work impaired? Probably not. (So what if my DZ.com posts were a little more incoherent.:P) Would it if I were, say... an air traffic controller? Absolutely. People with other lives in their hands as part of their jobs should be held to a different standard. It is the difference between individual choice and responsibility to others in your care.

It is hard to think of a situation where someone's life is more directly in another's care than that of a AFF or tandem instructor. While this particular incident did not involve a student, it did involve an instructor, and it did show incredibly poor judgement. It is a very small step from doing solo jumps while high to taking students while high. Before you protest that they are totally different, consider the fact that the former is already risking the lives of others, by being in the plane and in the air at the same time.

I hope the senior management at SDC makes some changes. First, they need to take a good look at how they run things and what their priorities are. I'm not talking about "spin control" where the only object is adjusting the media's perceptions. I'm talking about a real soul searching where they evaluate whether or not they want to be knowing participants in the deaths of innocent people. If an irresponsible attitude toward drugs and safety is condoned, it is only a matter of time before more accidents happen.

People have brought up the whole issue of "Policing ourselves". I think the idea is great. We keep things inside the skydiving family and watch each other's backs. The problem is that it isn't working. Some places are good about keeping impaired people on the ground. Others obviously aren't. I'd be the last one to do anything to curtail the activities people partake in after the beer light goes on, as long as they are relatively safe. Want to drink til you puke? Go ahead. Smoke a pile of pot? Go ahead. Neither will effect me as long as you are clear before you get on the next plane in the morning. There is a point where I draw the line though, even on beer light activities on the ground. Some drugs just shouldn't be on a DZ, no matter what. People doing cocaine, PCP, or other "hard drugs" should just be given the boot. If things go wrong with them, it isn't just puking in a trash can or getting a case of the munchies. The risk of them doing harm to some innocent bystander (or themselves) is just too high. While these weren't a factor in this incident, they were in another relatively recent one. I can't believe that nobody notices substantial drug use. Whether it is a friend who saw it being done or someone in the loading area who smells it, it should be caught before the plane leaves the ground. The impaired people shouldn't be allowed to lift off.

Rather than a simple, "Sorry he died, time to move on" approach, I think there are a whole lot of lessons to be learned here. However, I think there is a lot of denial going around. I feel bad for every skydiver that dies. But I also feel badly for everyone around them that had their lives in jeopardy because of a few people's selfishness and/or inaction. We all choose what risk we are willing to take. That is a part of skydiving. It isn't fair for a few people to add unneccesary risk for everyone else without their knowledge or consent.

End of rant.

>no, i would not. because i own my own company.

Ah, OK. Yours is a slightly different case, then. I would suggest that it is easier to be in favor of drug testing if you face no negative consequences due to a false positive. Most people do not have that luxury.

>then whats to stop you getting retested if you KNOW you are clean?

At least two employment agreements I've seen prohibit a retest. You test positive on the accurate test, you're fired. No second GC/MS test. If you refuse to take the more accurate test, or you ask for a different test etc you are dismissed. A lawyer told me it was to prevent an endless series of retests while they drink gallons of water.