waster

how often can you afford to jump?

Are there are skydivers out there who are still at college/high school, so will be 16-18 years old. If so, how often can you afford to jump, without rich family bailing you out. Cos i can only afford to jump once or twice every couple of weeks. I could jump more, but to do that i would have to give up my social life, which would suck. I suppose some would say that the DZ social scene could be my social life, but to be honest ( and i hope i am not offending anyone here), there is more to life than spending all weekend at a DZ. Would just like to know how many jumps other people in my situation get to do. I know everyone says that the more current you are, the safer you you will be, but one or two jumps every other week is current enough, surely? Would just like some feedback on this really.

I just started skydiving this summer at the end of july, now I have 41 jumps and all my money has gone to skydiving. but during school, which is coming up for me, hopefully i'll be able to go every weekend if I can get this damn job thing straightened out. And by the way my parents haven't paid for any of my training or jumps, so i'm pretty proud of that.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

there is more to life than spending all weekend at a DZ.

Oh mother of sweet earth. Tell me it's not true. I've been lied to and misdirected by a bunch of Sky Junkies? You mean there IS MORE TO LIFE than the DZ?

Amazing

I need to go meditate to reconsider the meaning of life now.

Seriously, why do you think the whole Yuppie Skydiver thing is funny.

My first few years in the sport I only jumped a few times a month too, I go through phases where I pick up and slow down. That goodness Im in the south and can jump year around.

Sounds like you don't think of purchases in terms of "how many jump tickets that equals" yet.

everytime i think about quiting my job an moving to the DZ someone reminds me that my job is what let me make 12+ jumps a weekend, not have to pack, live in a apt with plumbing etc...

so i groan and go back to work on mon...

When I first started out and had no money to really support skydiving, I did all sorts of crazy things to get myself jumping.
To get off of student status: credit cards. I don't recommend more than one, though...it was probably a bad idea. But, at school, it was so hard not to sign up for them
Just off student status, summer: two jobs, sold plasma, started eating Ramen
Just off student status, fall: the club started paying for some jumps (thanks Bananna), learned the art of getting drinks for free (too keep up that social life thing you were talking about), stopped going to Wal-Mart as much
Last year, I had an awesome internship (and currently my full-time employer) that gave me enough money to buy my gear and pay for more jumps.
This past year...we all know and love my grams!

As for your second question about if one jump a week is enough, technically by USPA standards...yes. But, for me at least, the more jumps that I squeeze in during a weekend, the easier it is for me to learn and improve.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

My question to the original poster would be: "are you off of student status?" If not, then you need to do whatever it takes to get the job done. Cut grass, wash cars, scrub toilets, whatever. If you drag student status out too long, you start to think it's always going to be that way, which is to say "expensive" and "not too fun". If you are off of student status and have a license, then feel free to spread your free time in any fashion you see fit. Still you must jump enough to stay safe and current or you will never get on any good skydives and will then fall back into that "this is not fun" slump.

Personally, if I don't make at least ten skydives a week I feel like I am missing out. I still have other comitments outside skydiving, but keep my primary focus on jumping and being around other jumpers. As far as being able to afford skydiving at a young age, we have six guys 19 years old or younger who pay their own way on the DZ by packing, coaching, or being a "yard bird". Two of our 19 year olds have over 400 jumps apiece and have been jumping since they were 16. Not bad for weekend-only jumpers who go to HS or college every day.

Chuck

I can't figure out those little reply and quote boxes yet:$.
Thinking of purchases in terms of jumps, I did that this weekB|. Was setting up stuff in my new apartment and decided to forgo moving my satellite dish from the house because the apartment complex wants a $75 deposit for the install. Geez.....that's 1/2 my next jump!! Are they crazy:P. I'll get this thing done sooner or later!
Sassy

it was funny all the tandems that came out last weekend were like " wow this is a really expensive sport"
i told one , "not really I'll do 10 this weekend for the cost of your 1, but it still takes 1/2 my paycheck every month.."B|

Hi
I can relate to you. Even though I'm not a young kid anymore, I AM on student status. I've gotten in 4 tandems and 3 steps in my student (AFP) training since July 20th.
It IS really expensive to start. But I personally have been trying to live really cheap to do it...Like buyingmy Levi's at Good WIll-they feel great- and not eating out(much) or going crazy with the shopping helps incredibly to save MUCHO $$$ for jump costs too.
For ME, the prices ARE finally coming down, now, AND once off student status it is really affordable. Hang in there. This is an awesome sport!!!
...and Hey! THE THRILL for the cost just CAN'T BE BEAT!

Yeah I know after getting off student status it's not bad. Trying to keep my eyes on that. It's just that the timing of all this bites. Divorce and moving to my new apartment this past weekend...sheesh...expensive stuff. Plus I'm almost at poverty level now....LOL. He has all the money.
But that's ok....I can do what I want now with my money and I'm gonna JUMP!!!

Waster,
Hang in there. I remember trying to work my way through college and still jump. It was easier way back then. Someday you'll be able to afford more jumps and the things you need to buy. Make as many jumps as you can now and I'll bet the situation will get better in the future. I know when I was in your shoes, it used to really tick me off to see someone who was being bankrolled by their parents for college, jumping, etc. I used to jump with a guy who is now considered one of the guru's in the sport. What ticked me off was that he didn't even have to work. Mom and Dad sent him a big check each week to cover things. One of my big issues in life though is that things aren't always fair in life. And it doesn't do much good to dwell on these things. Just jump as often as you can, and if you have to work your ass off to get what you want, you'll be better off for it. Now how's that for a sermon! I should have been a preacher. Steve1

Well, I started skydiving when I was 15. My parents helped me a little at first, and then I begged for and got a job packing student rigs and tandems. Between that and my part time job in high school, I managed to jump about 10 times a month. The DZO also took pity on me and occasionally gave me a free jump ticketB| In college, I ate a bunch of Top Ramen Noodles to save my cash for jumping and beer :)

Are there are skydivers out there who are still at college/high school, so will be 16-18 years old. If so, howoften can you afford to jump?

Well, not 16-18 so much as turning 22 in just under two weeks, but I'm in college. Basically, in college it's easier for me to jump than when I'm not. Here's the deal. While classes are going on, I have free time.B|

Plus, I can work on campus whatever hours [school jobs run 24/7 a lot] and there are other people jonesing for jump that I can bum rides from.

When class is out, like this past summer, I worked a job or two, plus an internship and being a TA. This summer, I made precisely zero jumps.

It's OK everybody, catch your breath, I've made a few lately, school is in.B|

So, in college it's not so bad. It's when the REAL real life hits that it'll get tough.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

we have six guys 19 years old or younger who pay their own way on the DZ by packing, coaching, or being a "yard bird".

Wow. For my first couple years of jumping, I was the only jumper under 30 at my DZ :( It's nice to see some younger kids getting into the sport :)I still remember buying my first case of beer (ever in my life) after I had a reserve ride when I was 16 and I broke my foot (I couldn't afford a square reserve, so I landed a little 26' Strong round on a telephone pole). I hopped into Circle K with my reserve under my arm, and the cashiers didn't even card me B|

everytime i think about quiting my job an moving to the DZ someone reminds me that my job is what let me make 12+ jumps a weekend, not have to pack, live in a apt with plumbing etc...

so i groan and go back to work on mon...

Yeah, I used to like my job. Now it's just a means to pay for tickets.

Sassy,
How far along are YOU in you student training? My JM told me that you can even work things out (later) to pack for jumps.
About divorce, think of it this way. I'm divorced too. No one to give you grief about it spending YOUR OWN$$$ for jumping. You are in charge to make your own decisions. THAT IS GOOD. Finding yourself FREE every other weekend WITHOUT THE KID(S) ends up being kinda nice too;)!
Have fun this is a NEW beginning. My first jump helped me to look at life differently.
Be cool...Blue skies to you:)