traveltheworld

Anyone else an alcoholic?

raises hand in back of the room, trying to hide and blend in with the other drunk skydivers.

[steps out of closet]
My name is Matt and I am an Addict....

I had 9 years in August. Yeah, yeah - now you all know why I don't drink. Been there, done that... crank, pot, coke, LSD, pills, anything else tasty... Although alcohol was not my drug of choice, it does not bother me to be around others that drink it. Now however, if they start lining up the shit on the packing mat or mirror, then I would definitely have a problem and leave the area. The smell of GANJA in the twilight hours is nice, but anything closer to that, and I get a bit uncomfortable.

[steps back in closet]

Ok, someone pass me a beer please and quit hoggin the J man, pass it around! :S:S

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

So basically, you think it's wrong that he percieves the drinking and partying as "counter productive and adolescent"

and you percieve " If you do more drugs than that..." to me it seems that you are saying the same thing, except your line of tolerance extends a little bit further than his does.

No, I think it irritated me that he said it was adolecent to party after a good day of skydiving. I dont like when people judge others when they dissagree with the actions of others.

Yes, my tolerance does extend farther than his, but I am not going to avoid others merely because of their actions and then put myself on a pedestal.

Maybe I shouldnt have wrote this since I was drunk and high at the same time this morning right before I went to pond swoop the puddle at manifest that was left after last nights rain, or was that the blue water that was in the portapottie that we tipped over last night when we were being adolescent and counterproductive?:P

(standing up) Hi! My name is Rachel and I'm an alcoholic. (sits down)
There .... I finally said it!

Hey, I'm not addicted to alcohol, but I do drink every weekend and a couple times during the week. I just like getting together with friends and having a few drinks! Now, I've seen some parties at the DZ where I can't believe some of the shit people do when they drink, but I am the one that sits back and watches, I don't participate.

BooYa#1
GR#50
You might be a skydiver if... Your having sex and she whispers in your ear "I've never done this before" and you yell out "Case of Beer"

Yup,, I am,,,
Only 3 months last Friday,, one a the reasons I dropped off here for a while,, got in some trouble at work,, now in IOP, 3 AA meetings a week, and counseling,, weekly reports to a job site monitor and I have 5 yrs now of random breathalyzers and piss tests just ta keep my job,, How ta cope I think was the original topic,, the night I got popped the DZO called and we talked for an hour about the DZ,, he really wanted me ta stick around and was there for support,, 2 days later my JM retired from military,, 2 whole BBQ'd pigs and yup,, 2 kegs a beer,, I just told all I was and alcholic and if I get in any shit I'm outta a job,, no questions or excuses,, fessing up made everyone aware and they have ALL been very supportive,, personnaly I belive if ya are gonna drink again you'll find an excuse,, and at that point any will do,, the fuckin shit is everywhere cuz it's legal,, and like stated already,, the money I was spending on beer is going to gear,, Best of luck to ya bro,, feel free ta PM me if ya need anything...
Billy

Natural Born FlyerZ.com

I'm not, but there is a Friends of Bill skydivers ad in the back of Parachutist every month. Check in the "miscellaneous" category. There are lots of jumpers who don't drink for a variety of reasons. Each manages it in their own way.

Hey, I just tried looking through the past few issues for this out of curiosity, and didn't see anything.

--
Hook high, flare on time

I'm not, but there is a Friends of Bill skydivers ad in the back of Parachutist every month. Check in the "miscellaneous" category. There are lots of jumpers who don't drink for a variety of reasons. Each manages it in their own way.

Hey, I just tried looking through the past few issues for this out of curiosity, and didn't see anything.

Just checked, didn't see it in this months, but the last item in the Misc, section of "The Marketplace" has the FOB ad. Page 65, center column.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

i think anyone who does things which are extreme they have a propensity to abuse things in other areas such as drugs and alcohol to either heighten the experience or relieve the stress. just my 2 cents on the matter.

It is better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!

Not all skydivers use/abuse alcohol or other substances. I've been around several jumpers who are perfectly comfortable with hanging out with fellow jumpers or at a DZ without drinking. I do drink, but not to the point where it runs my life or that I have to have it. I might drink on weekends or at social events, but not to where I feel out of control. I just accept the fact that "to each his own". I grew up with an alcoholic father. I'm proud to say he has now been "c&s" for over 8 yrs. I guess that why I don't drink as much as some. My dad respects my choice to drink alcohol and I respect him enough not to drink around him if it makes him uncomfortable. He has been pretty cool about my drinking lately. He said he'd rather me drink at home, than get hurt or arrested b/c I'm doing it else where.

I guess it just takes tolerance. If you feel uncomfortable then maybe leave the situation or find other non drinkers. There are surely other friends that would be happy to be sober right along with you if you need support at a boogie or something. I know I've foregone drinking so that friends of mine didn't feel uncomfortable.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

I've gone a couple of monthes now keeping my drug use to the legal ones, and this is the first time I've done this pretty much since my high school years. While not as pervasive as beer, weed is certainly prevalent at every DZ I've been to.

I've adapted by finding better things to do then hang around the fire until sunrise... That's helped one of my 'weekend numbers' significantly. B|

_Am

__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Not an alcoholic, but lived with one for two years. I can say from experience it's more fun to be the alcoholic than the significant other. My plan is to become a heroine addict and get back together with her. Then she'll have to put up with my shit for a few years.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

One is too many and a thousand isn't enough.
I throw my stuff in my bag unpacked and get off the dz. Its a lot easier than having my wife pick me up - its a good drive.

Enjoy the sky and get out of dodge. Pack your last jump at home. Works for me. Best of luck.

>The party after jumping is usually counter productive and adolescent.

Funny, there are many people who describe skydiving in almost exactly the same terms. Throw in an "insane" and a "deathwish" and you're there.

>Our daughter of 8 years loves to see us jump, but I have to limit her
> exposure to the people at the DZ.

That's unfortunate. Some of the best people I've ever met have been at a DZ. I'd hate to 'shield' my kids from them.

Hmm. I've always seen alcoholism as a more of a goal than a disease. No better excuse to be drunk at two in the afternoon than to sight the fact that you can't help it. ;)

Ok, I know this isn't supposed to be a funny thread, but holy shit that was the funniest thing I've read on here in a long time! Now my co-workers think I'm high or something because I'm in my office giggling uncontrollably!
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

I drink, and occasionally get wasted. Done many stupid things while drunk. Done many more stupid things while sober. There is no peer pressure. People don't force you to drink. More and more often I decide not to drink on a Saturday night at the DZ. I have great fun hanging around people, while I drink pop or water.
Its OK not to drink. Nobody will force me to drink if I don't feel like having a drink. It's all in your head. Be a master of yourself, don't let booze rule your world.
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

"I jump and go home. The party after jumping is usually counter productive and adolescent. I must confess I get sick and tired of hearing every other work used being "*uck" and the lewd activities. Our daughter of 8 years loves to see us jump, but I have to limit her exposure to the people at the DZ. "
My friend is c&s. He hangs at the dz after hours and drinks cokes. No one pressures him, no one will. The pressure is from within, if it is too much, then you should go home. I appreciate the problem and am sympathetic to its depth, but it is your problem.
"The party is adolescent..." So are fireworks, 3 stooges, any game... Actually, I've got my own parents. You can be judgemental and go home, thanks. "Lewd activites" Yeah, I like boobies, sex, wet t-shirt contests... it's ok, I am an adult.
"Our daughter of 8 years..." You hang around the dz bar and expect everyone to be on their best behaviour because your daughter is there? Sorry, I wouldn't take my daughter to a bar, so why a dz bar?

Words of wisedom spoken!!! The only pressure is from within. And quite true, the DZ bar has slightly different standards of behaviour than the Sunday School. As a matter of fact I would preffer to keep it that way.
Lewd activities - you mean the public sodomy, intercourse with animals, biting chicken heads of, women with wips wearing latex underwear, smell of sulphur, public exposure, Satan worshiping or other? Anyway before entering a DZ bar remember to done your goat leggings! Oh, did I forget to mention that there is alcohols served at the bar? Repent, repent, repeeeeee........!
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275