riddler

When the cops come to your door

So here I sit at home, listening to Snapcase, sucking organic honey from the bottle and happily writing Java code when I look outside and see a cop with a gun in one hand trying to open my front gate.

The barbarian was thwarted at the moat. My gate was locked :)
I casually stroll out the door wondering if these will be the last few seconds of my life (I think the same thing before every skydive). Someone reported a burglary in progress - he was at the right address, wrong street. I gave him directions to the next street. Sometimes living in a "transitional neighborhood" can get the blood pumping.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

When this happens, it's -really- important that you let them see both of your hands at all times. Make no sudden movements. Do what they ask, no matter how stupid, until they're convinced you're not a threat.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It may have something to do with living in a city and there being a North or South (or East or West) part to your address. It's happened that way to me so far twice. Police show up at my address, North, when they should have been at the address South.

I assume it's going to happen again.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

When this happens, it's -really- important that you let them see both of your hands at all times. Make no sudden movements. Do what they ask, no matter how stupid, until they're convinced you're not a threat.

I prefer to empty a bottle of Elmer's white glue into my mouth and run around screaming, but that's just me.

I had something similar happen to me last year. I was lounging on my couch watching tv when i heard two cops just outside my apartment door. I checked out the window and sure enough the cop car was right in front of my place. They were trying to be all sneaky and listen through my door. Apparently they had gotten a complaint of a child screaming for help. I finally convinced them that it was just me and my cat and they left. Never did find out what happened.

I have a funny story....

Back in the days when I used to smoke grass every now and then I had a huge bag in my apartment. I left for work and left it out on the counter. I came home from work and there was a letter from the Sherriffs Department on my apartment door telling me to call them immediately. I got paranoid and went inside, locked the door, and flushed over an ounce of grass. I called my friends and told them I was going to prison. They said, "Why would the police leave you a note if they were going to take you to jail?" "Have you called them?" I said no. I called them and they said that I was needed to testify against someone I had arrested at a hotel I managed. I felt like an idiot and I have not bought a bag since.:P

;) What great visuals I get off that...
>>>>
I had a friend out in CA who had some "plants" on his porch, he came home from to find a note saying " If you would like to reclaim your property, please call the SDPD"...He cut his losses and was very lowkey for awhile:)

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Great advice! It's nerve racking to go to someone's door thinking they might come out shooting. Definitely don't be reaching for a pen while they're screaming "let me see your hands!" ;)

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

That's the same thing I was thinking as he was calling in for a repeat of the address, because I live on Franklin St, and there IS a South Franklin st, and sometimes the delivery guys get it messed up. But it was my number on Lafayette St. Completely different name - he just messed up where he turned. 'Course if I had to answer a call for an in-progress crime, I'm sure I would be frazzled too, but he didn't have to go scaring the crap out of me like that!
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Last time I had a cop show up in my yard unannounced it wasn't pretty. See...my driveway is over 1/4 mile long. Somehow they heard I was having a party. So jackass just thinks he is going to pull up and park outside my house. It was winter so everyone was inside the house. I walked out with my Mini 14 over my shoulder and asked him WTF he thought was doing. He didn't have a good answer so I politley asked him to GET THE F%CK off my property. He did......;) Lucky he was in Georgia. Out in Montana you just shoot first.......:D