outofit

the cops among us !

I wouldn't necessarily say that ... there is a cop that jumps at the dz I go to and he fits in just dandy ... tho I'm sure people ARE a bit cautious about certain things when he is around ... ;)

As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

Of course I just started posting today, so I can't speak for everyone, but it seems to me that this isn't a group of people that wouldn't welcome you simply because of your line of work. I personally have a great deal of respect for anyone in Law Enforcement. :)

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

I don't mind cops as long as they don't act like they are better than the rest of us . It's also a good idea to NOT try to enforce laws on a dz or tell us what we are doing is against the law . I have two cop friends I skydive and base jump with and enjoy it . They know to check the badge at the door when we are jumping and for the party later on .

I have been a cop for 6 years now and a skydiver for less than a year. I have never felt that anybody has treated me any differently both on dropzone.com and at my dropzone (Skydive Spaceland). And as a matter a fact I just help another skydiver to get a job at the Sheriffs Department (Rachill). And everyone at the dz seems to get a big kick out of both of us being cops.
Blue Skies
Skypig
SCR#14778

Nah! You jump, therefore you're cool. Profession dont matter.Heck I'm a Criminal Justice major and I've been trying to get a job dispatching with the locals here! Everyone has been real supportive too. The DZ where I did my first tandem, there was a really cool cameraman that was chief of police for his city.Very cool guy. Everyone is welcome here.:)

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Yeah, if I remember correctly, that was getting into a bunch of hypotheticals over civil liberties, etc. Then a post about "rogue cops" in Florida, then me posting an entire web site about police abuse. ...so I really have no idea where you got that idea... These are the same discussions I have with the several cops and FBI agents I jump with. Your's is a profession of extremes and it's all going to get talked about.

PEACE,
Doug
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Being a cop is cool and being a skydiver is cool, Everyone at the dz thinks it is funny that I wear a uniform now, but they also think it's awesome!!B| As do I!:ph34r:

BooYa#1
GR#50
You might be a skydiver if... Your having sex and she whispers in your ear "I've never done this before" and you yell out "Case of Beer"

"Everyone at the dz thinks it is funny that I wear a uniform now"

Hmmm, visualising Rachill in a uniform, hmmmmm... Freefly Chicks in uniforms...hmmmm...
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Your welcome here it's just most cops entertain themselves at Dunkin Doughnuts and not DZ.com. Oh, and all the talk about illegal stuff is just jokes. :)

Welcome to the forums man. We could use you around here to keep us out of trouble.:)

being a police officer i kind of get the impression we sort of aren't welcome here. is it just me ?

Personally, I don't give a rats ass what anyone does for a living. Nothing you drive, nothing hanging on your wall, and nothing in your pocket is going to get you invited on a good skydive. Consider the dropzone another world, where individual skydiving skills (or the desire to obtain them) will get you where you want to be.

You carry a badge and I wear a five-piece patch on my back, but I would have no problem interacting with you on a DZ (or any other place for that matter).

Chuck

No, its not just you.

Ive gotten that same feeling on a number of occasions. Sometimes from comments made, sometimes simply from being ignored...

Most of the time, once you become a skydiver, youre thought of as a skydiver first, then whatever else you are (skydiver/lawyer, skydiver/doctor, skydiver/jerk, whatever), seems with us, in people's minds, its always cop/whatever...if they get past the first part at all...

I didnt read past the first post before posting. Should be interesting...

John

I've always looked up to most cops, even though I often have trouble with authority figures. Most of us come from all walks of life. If you're a skydiver you're cool and I doubt if many would dislike you just because you are a police officer. Be willing to be accepting of us though. There are lots of skydivers who might fit into the wild and crazy category. Yet most would give you the shirt off their back if you needed help. Have an open mind and you'll fit in great. Steve1