jessefs

Rec Dot

>anyone else in britland saw that Anna in Wonderland show about Furries?

I'm not sure, but I think that term describes something I have stumbled upon sometime or another(no, not personally). Let's not go there? Although the thread has already found itself where it belongs: the gutter(home sweet home)... To hell with it...

Rec dot is a community of users, just like here. The big difference is there is no limit to what can be said there; there are limits here.

I've posted on rec dot; I still lurk it and very occasionally post. I have several friends who post there a lot, some exclusively - I've even partied with Peanut. ;) There are good people posting there too. Many of the most active posters have been jumping for years. Most manufacturers at least lurk it; many USPA directors post or at least lurk it.

It's just a different "flavor" over there. If you like to argue you can get into some good ones on rec dot, with no limit on what you can say or who you can say it about - as long as you don't mind others disagreeing violently with you. rec dot is a better place for people who would be upset it they got their hand spanked for an offensive post or their post edited or deleted.

The forum rules help make the dz.com forums what they are. The lack of rules helps to make rec dot what it is. Two different communities; some like the more "civilized" atmosphere here, some prefer the chaos of rec dot. It's all good.

Lisa, I agree with you about Peanut. It is nice that you put point out the positive light on rec dot. However, he is a rarity. Knowing more than a few of the regulars and having lurked it for a couple of years, I used it mainly for a source of info. Like a newspaper. I found little valuable info and some advice that I found actually dangerous. Some people claiming expertise and offering advice actually have less than 400 jumps and are not current.
Quite often, they give a snide evaluation of dz.com as the "happy, shining" people. I would like to say "Thank You". There is a lot of pointless anger there that I don't need. I would like to say a big "Thanks" to Sangiro for providing this forum and to the moderators for their efforts.
These forums provide a valuable source of correct information to new skydivers. They also provide a place to establish the friendships and bonds between skydivers that are a great part of the sport.

Lisa, I agree with you about Peanut. It is nice that you put point out the positive light on rec dot. However, he is a rarity. Knowing more than a few of the regulars and having lurked it for a couple of years, I used it mainly for a source of info. Like a newspaper. I found little valuable info and some advice that I found actually dangerous. Some people claiming expertise and offering advice actually have less than 400 jumps and are not current.

Of course, that would never happen here, right ;)

True, but different. Professor, as the lightning rod of rec dot, I know you can laugh with me. It must suck to post something that makes sense and then get dumped on. People here may have 200 jumps and give advice, but it is not stated as coming from the Oracle at Delphi. Opinions are good. Discussion is good, brings out information. I admire your tenacity. B| I admit that I don't have the temperament for it.

True, but different. Professor, as the lightning rod of rec dot, I know you can laugh with me. It must suck to post something that makes sense and then get dumped on. People here may have 200 jumps and give advice, but it is not stated as coming from the Oracle at Delphi. Opinions are good. Discussion is good, brings out information. I admire your tenacity. B| I admit that I don't have the temperament for it.

As we discovered last week, The Oracle of Rec Dot has feet of clay.:)

> On rec. those that give it, generally can take it - they don't appear
> to be trying to win any popularity contests.

That was not my experience. There are as many (if not more) people on r.s who take flaming very personally.

>I feel exactly the same way I do about people who post on rec.
> slagging dz.com off - it is childish and cowardly. Both places have
> their respective merits . . .

And their respective drawbacks. Pointing out the drawbacks is not childish and cowardly any more than talking about their merits is kissing people's asses. And I gotta say that seeing someone stick up for political correctness on r.s (i.e. "don't say bad things about it!") is pretty funny.

>But running to one group to broadcast that you don't like the other
> group seems rather lame to me.

Uh, it often seems like the very _purpose_ of r.s is to run off and broadcast that you don't like something (here too, to a lesser degree.)

You remember those essays you wrote? I first learnt about those by lurking rec. Advanced searches can still bring up loads of useful info. My only real problem with rec. is the fact that I can only access it via deja at work - takes too long to update. Using OE at home it is no problem blocking the people who keep on grinding the same axe.

Will

> On rec. those that give it, generally can take it - they don't appear
> to be trying to win any popularity contests.
That was not my experience. There are as many (if not more) people on r.s who take flaming very personally.

Agree. I can think of numerous (30 or 40 instances) where physical threats were made. It seems that there is an unnecessary level of harshness and goading to some posts and the posters can't handle the response of the same kind. Seems like people would expect that.

First, a misconception must be corrected: recdot is a part of a service called USENET, and Google only gives a web-interface to that service. I might be wrong but I think USENET predates the whole www...

You are right! Usenet, the Internet's popular NNTP chain of news servers is very old. UUCP was more popular in the 70s, but network news took off as a precursor to early bulletin board systems, WAIS, etc. Anyone who uses tin, etc to read rec.dot pretty much dates themselves. :)
HTTP is an extremely recent evolution in Internet protocols, prior to '94 it was virtually unheard of to most people. The Internet was mostly newsgroups, telnet access to big unix systems, Gopher and search services like Veronica (anyone remember that sh**? ;))

I felt so out of place when I got on the 'net back in 1989 in grade school with a Toshiba laptop, dialing into an IBM AIX box. I was (and still am) such a nerd! Then four years later in high school I got OS/2 2.11 and things got a lot better. :D

>Using OE at home it is no problem blocking the people who keep on
>grinding the same axe.

Yeah, I started using a killfile, but threads became unintelligible because there are some people who simply post to every thread and appear as gaps when you read it later.

been there a few times. don't think I've ever seen anything positive posted there. a lot of ego and bold statements.
probably a good place if you're a know it all and you really want to get into heated arguments with people.

Respect the Dolphin

Pointing out the drawbacks is not childish and cowardly any more than talking about their merits is kissing people's asses.

Aaah, ok, so saying that the majority of rec regulars seem to have a big head up a small ass is considered "pointing out a drawback"?

My bad.