jessefs

Rec Dot

Ok, after hearing this google newsgroup referenced a few times on DZ, I decided to check it out....good god, wtf is wrong with those people?? I know that there must be some decent posters but the majority of regulars seemed to have a big head up a small ass! To get any sort of educational information seemed almost out of the question! (I did learn what an SCR/SCS is though) The comments about DZ commers being mushy and lovey dovey was quite entertaining. Is there a piece of history I am missing that completes this puzzle or what??
jesse

<* Spread the Love! *>

>Ok, after hearing this google newsgroup

First, a misconception must be corrected: recdot is a part of a service called USENET, and Google only gives a web-interface to that service. I might be wrong but I think USENET predates the whole www...

>Is there a piece of history I am missing that completes this puzzle or what??

I don't know about that... The thing about DZcom is that it's basicly the domain of one man. If someone has personal issues with Sangiro, they're not too likely to frequent these forums.

What I do know is that USENET is a completely unmoderated medium. It's also very easy to post there anonymously. These two things seem to bring out the worst in people... The only thing keeping this place as ' mushy and lovey dovey ' (but I'd use the word ' civilized ') as it is, are the Moderators.

Erno

I understand the technical difference between the two and that moderation keeps this place "civilized", I am just trying to figure out why, given the opportunity and environment, you would choose to pour energy into a creation such as recdot. Though seeing this same type of thing day to day in current society, I don't know why I am really surprised, it's just the first time I've experienced it in the skydiving community.
jesse

<* Spread the Love! *>

>I am just trying to figure out why, given the opportunity and environment,
>you would choose to pour energy into a creation such as recdot

To each his own I guess... I used to lurk there for a while a couple of years back, but going through all that crap to find something worth reading got old fast.

>I suspect most of the people on rec. have been in the sport a little
>longer than you.

I'm sure they have. Is that an excuse for rude behaviour?(on recdot,that is)

>If you felt so strongly about it, why didn't you post your little whinge
>on rec.?

Do you disagree with the opinion that discussion at recdot is, shall we say, less civilized? Regardless of the answer, do you think it would be possible to discuss this topic in a constructive manner at recdot?

I mean no personal attack, just seemed odd to me that someone would feel so strongly about someone feeling so strongly about recdot...:S

I might be wrong but I think USENET predates the whole www...

you're right, and by a good decade -- google's archive (formerly deja, formerly dejanews) includes newsgroup articles dating as far back as 1981! B|

What I do know is that USENET is a completely unmoderated medium.

that's not entirely correct; there were/are some moderated newsgroups, where posted articles require moderator approval prior to their being available for viewing by general readers (methinks). much less flexible than what we have here at dz.com (and other web boards), but it counts as moderation nonetheless.

perhaps the powers that be could newgroup rec.skydiving.moderated? any greenies up for the challenge??? :D

steve

>that's not entirely correct; there were/are some moderated
>newsgroups, where posted articles require moderator approval
>prior to their being available for viewing by general readers (methinks)

I knew that!;) Just haven't been using USENET for a while. There was actually a moderated Babylon5 newsgroup in finnish when they were airing the show here. The reason being mostly that no spoilers would be posted. The fans seemed to take the show rather seriously.:)
>. much less flexible than what we have here at dz.com (and other web
>boards), but it counts as moderation nonetheless.

Indeed. Discussion such as this could've taken days now on a moderated USENET group.

>perhaps the powers that be could newgroup rec.skydiving.moderated?
>any greenies up for the challenge???

:D Now there's a challenge! I would suppose herding a flock of rabid sheep would prove to be easier(and much more enjoyable).

Erno

Is that an excuse for rude behaviour?

What I was saying was that with a little more time in the sport one might realize that skydiving is NOT one big happy family and not try to paint a pretty prozac picture of parachuting (;)). On rec. those that give it, generally can take it - they don't appear to be trying to win any popularity contests.

Do you disagree with the opinion that discussion at recdot is, shall we say, less civilized? Regardless of the answer, do you think it would be possible to discuss this topic in a constructive manner at recdot?

I feel exactly the same way I do about people who post on rec. slagging dz.com off - it is childish and cowardly. Both places have their respective merits - if you don't like either then don't frequent it. But running to one group to broadcast that you don't like the other group seems rather lame to me.

I prefer dz.com, but this doesn't mean I feel a need to slag off rec.

Will

>might realize that skydiving is NOT one big happy family and not try
>to paint a pretty prozac picture of parachuting.

Ain't that the truth. But I can see how the sport could look like a prozac-painting to someone who's new to the sport.

>On rec. those that give it, generally can take it - they don't appear
>to be trying to win any popularity contests.

That, I can safely assume, can be said again.

>But running to one group to broadcast that you don't like the
>other group seems rather lame to me.

I didn't see the original post like that at all. To me it seemed like jessefs was genuinely surprised about the ... essence, of recdot. If I didn't have previous experience on recdot, and went to read it now, I think I might also think that there needs to be some reason for recdotters to be slagging dzcommers. But as I have been there before, I know that no reason is needed...;)

Erno

To me it seemed like jessefs was genuinely surprised about the ... essence, of recdot.

Lurking both places would give you an idea of what their 'essence' is - why then bother running to one to say "what the fuck is wrong with those other people???"

If you don't like the other place, then don't go there.

Will

I rather like dz.com, i have made countless life long friends due to this website. Its easy to use and due in main part to the rules and the Greenies its a fun place to waist time. Just the rumors about rec. are enough to keep me away.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

We liked having you come home to play with us Will, but I think my apparently not-so-humona wife will like that.....

PS: how were you're landing on you new-downsized-elliptical last weekend? B|B|

PPS: Viking, dont worry, Will has this fetish thing of women dressed in woolly outfits.... Right lucy?
Remster

Speaking of which.....

anyone else in britland saw that Anna in Wonderland show about Furries?

Man, I consider myself a man of this world, and it wasnt shocking, but that was weird.....

Will: did you get the names and addresses of the friends Anna made ?
Remster

My fault for not keeping up with this thread but I should clairify that I am more interested in getting opinions from people on this site as to what the difference is in both environments. Having this place and my own dz as most of my reference to a skydiving community, I don't think that my reaction to recdot is all that surprising. I'm not whining that recdot is not in compliance with my social style and standards, I'm just expressing how I viewed the place and was wondering what people thought the main differences were, ie moderation etc...:)jesse