PLFXpert

Pet Peeve

Most of the time, I really don't give a shit...but I wonder why some guys do this:

Since on the women's forum, some people are discussing "sexism at the dz" I thought I'd add "sexism" in general.

I made the comment on the other forum that I personally haven't experienced much sexism at the DZ, but today at school I did.

It doesn't bother me so much as I just wonder why guys do it? This is what happened:

Guy from my class sits next to me in the computer lab..surfer guy, "Hey what's up"
Me, "Nothing"
"I'm just checking out my Red Bull e-mail"
"Oh, right on. do you work for them?"
"oh, yea, I make good money."
"awesome. an advertiser for them, once asked me if I'd every be interested in doing an ad for them but nothing ever came up of it"
"Oh, I don't know about that...red bull is VERY picky about who they let wear their logo...like, you have to be really good at something. It took me a long time before they'd let me wear it...I doubt if they'd let you do it. Mostly they stick to the top 1% in the world and in california"

I'm thinking, whatever, did you not hear me say the guy approached me? not the other way around? and that, yes, nothing ever came of it but WHY do guys do that? After that, he just kept rambling on about how good at surfing he is and how he does x, y and z for Red Bull and blah, blah, blah...

At that point, I wasn't listening anymore, just kind of nodding my head, smiling, and thinking, "What an egotistical ass.":P

Again, I shoudl mention...I'm not in a bad mood about it at all...that kind of shit happens...I just don't understand it.

Some people feel the need to compete on every level. They don't realise that in life we all have our strengths and weaknesses. His weakness for example is his people skills and his modesty skills. I run into this anytime I mention to people about skydiving. Guys especially though feel they have to speak up to compete for the female attention though.

~45

I think it's a case of "Boy-Do-I-Love-Me" syndrome: the pathetic dweeb feels "important" or "special" (e.g. his solid waste products are not malodorous), all because he's been suckered into being a cheap source of advertising for a consumer product that tastes like cough medicine.

In short - there's absolutely no point in taking it personally...:ph34r:

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Oh well, some people have to brag about how good they are.

REALLY good people, let other people brag for them.B|

Nice one!
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

OH, definitely, girls do it too. I guess I should have restated and said, I don't understand why people in general do it.

But, to take the opposite perspective, too...I don't understand why some people who ARE really good, might say, "OH, I suck...no, really, I'm not that good"...I find that equally annoying.

I think there's a balance b/w being confident in yourslef and being honest, or just being plain cocky. I don't care much for the latter, but I've discovered you can't blame a person for it, b/c usually it arises from low self-esteem.

Why can't we all just be honest? If someone asked me if I was good at something, and I was, I would say, "Yea, I'm pretty good, but I could be better"...an honest answer. If I wasn't good, I would say, "No, I suck right now, but I'm working on it"

If you're good at something, I think it's OK to say so when asked, but the difference lies in when people offer up the information themselves and then go on and on and on about it.

I"m MUCH more inpressed w/ the men who do less talking and more action....that is DEFINITELY meant ambiguously:P. He he he.

OK, he was hitting on you. As far as style and accuracy points, good accuracy points for finding the hottie, no points for style. Let's be educational here. This poor guy will just go through life and suck at picking up women in libraries.

Let's hear the good approach. The ladies should be helping us out here. We've got the basics out of the way, we know bathing is somehow important, but what do we do from there? :)

I thought it was a bit sexist to assume I wouldn't be "good enough" sports-wise in his opinion to bear the "prestigous" Red Bull logo.

But, it didn't bother me so much as made me wonder why people do it. It doesn't bother me, b/c I'm used to people assuming things, talking shit, or whatever. That is part of life. I just wonder what people are thinking when they do things they do, sometimes.

And Bill, it's simple...all you have to do is be genuine and FUNNY! We girls, espcially me, love a good sense of humor. I'm VERY playful and have a very male-oriented sense of humor...I grew up w/ all guy friends so I tease w/ the best of them. A good sense of humor is very important!;)

I think this is an easy problem to resolve. Guys don't know what to say or how to approach women.

Any salesman knows that the cold-call approach is the toughest. A guy has to come up with a line that intrigues the girl enough to keep her attention and encourage a response. Sometimes, it is talking about stuff that she may think is cool and will be interested in. Doesn't work that easily.

It would be better if women would just start approaching men. The women wouldn't be hit on by homely guys and the guys wouldn't have to face the emotional trauma of rejection.

Next time you gals are in the library, find a guy who smell good and start running your fingers through his hair. It will make the world a better place.

I don't think he is sponsored...I think he does promotions for them.

Doing these one-day promotion gigs can be cool. They do make good money, just that it is not an everyday thing. For a student or someone looking to pick up some part-time quickie cash, it is great.

I have a friend who goes down to Miami for weekend car shows and expositions. She stands by cars in evening gowns. She has two kids and likes the extra money.

I actually met a woman who did RB promotions in Miami. She gave me 4 cans of that stuff over the course of the day and I was speeding like I was on meth. :S

I think the 1% crap is just what they tell college marketing students to make them feel special.

My ex was like that.He thought he was the best thing to ever grace this earth. It sucks, but its still kinda funny, because hes calling and emailing me now trying to be all friendly. Heh! He just wants a fan club...sorry! I canceled my membership thank you very much.;)

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Sounds like you ran into someone with "Small Penis Overcompensating with Big Ego" complex. SPOBE is a frightening and dehabiliiting disease that effects thousands of males involved in athletics, politics, military duty and law enforcement every year. You just gotta give a concerned look at his mid section and say "Sorry about your penis... Get help..." and walk off...

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when