novacaine

As anyone else felt the same as I do?

I'm wondering if any one of you people out there felt or feel the same as I do now. Skydiving has really changed my life. Yet, lately when people ask me what activities I enjoy and I say skydiving; they think that I am a dangerous person. It's almost to the point in which I feel embarrassed for mentioning I skydive.[:/] Am I the only one that feels this way?

;)
Hey, I consider skydiving "secret stuff" when it comes to "wuffo's". I told no one at work- and one day heading out to aircraft, one of the salesmen drove by- and started honking his horn like crazy...
yuk.....now everyone at work has to mention it and I hate responding- feel like a gauk.
I have learned over the 15 yrs. in the sport not to "share" my secret too much.
I find it hard to socialize with friends that do not skydive- when I feel like expressing what an awesome day or week I've had- just bite my tongue!!
Thank god for my skydiving buddies and the fire pitt to let loose and comunicate with those that understand!!

Smiles.

I personally have not had that problem. Infact I usually get a good response from others along with a lot of questions about the sport. I do however have a problem with depression if I have not jumped in more than 3 weeks.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

my brother thinks i am a phyco and doesn't want me to jump. pfft what does he know!! He will never understand why i can watch a good friend break a leg and the next weekend i am out there gearing up.

Homer i havn't jumped since Oct 5!!!
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Guess I'm just very fortunate that my co-workers, friends and family all want to hear what's happened over my weekend.

It's kind of a crack-up when I go to work and the first words out of their mouths (after the morning greetings) is "So how many jumps did you do this weekend?"B|

When I share how awesome it was, they hang on every word. All are supportive and alot are jealous of the fun. About 50% want to try it themselves!

Of course, my co-workers are young and adventurous themselves. That helps.:)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Most people that have had that reaction with me have issues of their own that are relfected in those comments. First, they know very little about skydiving; Second, they watch Real TV and the other "no shit, there I was, I almost died" stories, which only reflect a microscopic piece of our sport. Third, because of their own issues (fears??) they box themselves in, believing that they could never do anything like jumping out of an airplane, and seal it in concrete by judging you as crazy or dangerous. I have had the privilege of taking a couple of friends that were just exactly as I described up on tandem jumps and feeling them next to me as they broke through their own fears and shifted to thrill and exhilaration. That was a gift to be able to act as a catalyst for them to stretch.

Skydiving is inherently dangerous. I don;t like using statistics, because they can easily be manipulated to the user's favor. BUT, I will say that skydiving, while dangerous to a degree, has an element of safety that many other mundane daily activities do not.
Arrive Safely

John

I have never been embarrassed per se...the people I work with think I am crazy, but they always looked at me differently anyway. A few people want to join me! I do however, have a problem if it comes up in conversation with my mother. My father is very proud and very accepting...(lol, even talks to me like a coach at times), my father encourages me and tells me to follow my heart whereas, as my mothers baby, she tries to dissuede me from the sport. She will even try using her guilt tactics on me! I think the people at work are more sick of hearing me talk about it than anything else. Mom is very proud watching videos, but not-so-secretly hopes I will lose interest. :S My brother, on the other hand, does not understand where his little sister went...he refers to me as having "balls of steel"...I like that. :)

Yet, lately when people ask me what activities I enjoy and I say skydiving; they think that I am a dangerous person. It's almost to the point in which I feel embarrassed for mentioning I skydive. Am I the only one that feels this way?

You're not the only one, as a matter of fact I go out of my way to NOT tell people about my favorite hobby. It's difficult sometimes, especially at the hosipital. :P Unfortunately one of my friends usually breaks the news....

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Yeah, I usually avoid the topic as well lately. It's not that I'm embarassed, but I get the same silly whuffo questions over and over and it gets draining. I went to a bachelor party and my friend introduces me as the guy who skydives. Now I'm spending all this time answering questions like, "Is it cold up there?" "Can you breathe in freefall" while I'm trying to check out the strippers!!

I enjoy many of the same things I did before but skydiving puts them all into a one big category ' stuff to be done while stuck on the planet'B|

Seriously, my FJC was a a Giant step into the unknown from which I've never receovered (and hope not to). My first (and only cutaway) on jump #20 gave me an eerie feeling of the greater power we all tap into and are a part of. Skydiving seems to be a Religion inasmuch as it is not a bunch of "i's" but a very definite "we" at the dropzone. We can have the most diverse oppinions on everything else, but when it comes to the beauty of the sport we love.... well words need not be spoken.

As I've progressed in the sport (just over a year, 120 jumps, 3 licenses and a provincial (state) medal) I've watched my whuffo friends (still have some) go from 'Dave's nuts' to "Dave's onto something he's good at ...I wouldn't have the courage ...". To them I can only say ...

"I whuffo'd for 10 years alongside you guys. I jumped once just for the hell of it and it wasn't like falling - it was like freedom. I jumped again and you know the rest. Don't be afraid of the jump, be afraid of the NEED to jump once you're as addicted as I am. That addiction starts at about jump #2, by the way"

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Never feel embarrassed to say you skydive!!!! Never.

I am not a skydiver, yet, but have done some tandems. I love to see the look of shock on peoples faces when I say I love Skydiving:S. Yes, they think I have death wish, so what? They don't know what they are missing.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

...because of their own issues (fears??) they box themselves in, believing that they could never do anything like jumping out of an airplane...

That was me a year and a half ago. Which is exactly why I started jumping. Boxed in, trapped. This was my freedom cry. And I keep crying freedom as often as I can afford it.

Some people around me think it's about the neatest thing someone could do. Some people want to do it with me, if there is a group I'm chatting with - but when push comes to shove, they are not found. Some people try really hard to help me (Bad landing again Michele? Hey, why don't you try..."X"), even tho they've never considered jumping. Some listen to my adventures and shake their heads...and some, like my assistant broker, tell me to go jump if I haven't in a while. I am never sure of their motives when they say that...LOL;).

Dad doesn't get it, but is grudgingly proud of me. Mom really gets it, and to her credit, has talked to me about her concerns and listened when I gave what little explanation I can about it. My nephew, otoh, thinks his Noni can fly - sort of like Superman - and loves to see my videos and pix...

As for the rest, it's all good. Whatever they think, that's what they think.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I haven't been jumping long but my whuffo friends no longer want to hear me talk about it. They are convinced it's a passing fancy with me. I no longer bore them with skydive talk because they don't care and can't understand. I find myself more and more telling them I can't hang out because I'm going to be at the dz for the weekend. I'm going to learn to balance the lifestyles. I can't give up my whuffo friends. When I moved to Florida I knew no one. The friends I have made here are priceless.

Respect the Dolphin

I guess the only negativity encountered that mattered to me was from my friends. They didn't appreciate that I spent all my time out at the dz. That worked out over time. As for anyone else that doesn't know me, screw 'em. I don't care if they have a problem with me skydiving. I know I am not dangerous to myself, and that is most important(oh, and my parents knowing is important too).B|

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

......they think that I am a dangerous person.

Typical Whuffo response if you ask me. They seem to split into two groups. Those that respect and admire you for doing such a "dangerous" sport, and those who think your foolhardy for the same reason.

Just tell them that Skydiving can be dangerous, but skydivers are not. They are among the most responsible people you know.
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

Last week I was asked by one of my co-workers what kinds of things I like to do besides skydiving. I felt like a jackass when I couldn't think of one thing. I need to broaden my hobbies or do I?

Hehe. Yep. That's why I am currently taking a photography class, and will be starting a fencing class this week. Skydiving is fun, but it's nice to have other things to be excited about as well. :)

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

Dad doesn't get it, but is grudgingly proud of me. Mom really gets it, and to her credit, has talked to me about her concerns and listened when I gave what little explanation I can about it. ...

Since they are trying to understand, you can be as fair as you can also. I told them the truth. Even though I do everthing right, I may be killed or injured. I do my best to avoid that.

I get everyone to pick up a phone and call their parents and SOs to let them know that they are ok. Hearing on the news that a skydiver went in at your dz is a heart attack until they talk to you.

i LOVE telling people i'm a skydiver...but then, i've always loved being able to shock and amaze people. if they tell me i'm crazy, i say, "yeah...your point is..."? but most people are intrigued by it. of course, they ask all the stupid questions (can you breathe up there???....no, genius, we grow gills for 60 seconds), but i figure if 500 people think i'm a freak, and one person is inspired by my free spirit, i've done something right.
spiral out...keep going...

I'm new in the sport, but I can not help but tell people what I do. I have to say something. It is not that I am bragging, but I have this need to express my feelings about it. I am not a very open person at all. But there is something about this I need to share. I told my parents about 10yrs ago that when I got older, I was going to go skydiving. And they said not as long as you are my kid are you going. Now I go, and I call them everytime I get back, and you know what... They don't like it, but they respect the fact that i love it.

As far as everyone at work. THEY are Sick Of Hearing about, and I can't blame them, it is all I talk about. Don't be affraid or embarrassed, BE PROUD that you are 1 of about 35K people in this country that have the balls to face all your fears, and triumph.
You Are A Skydiver... Let The World Know

c

Hehe. Yep. That's why I am currently taking a photography class, and will be starting a fencing class this week.

Scott! Photography? You're crazy... Don't you know how dangerous that is? ;)
Fencing will be fun though, I've taken many different sword arts/sport. Never fenced competitively but the little I did was a BLAST!

I too am embarassed from time to time, when surrounded by whuffos (only the criticizing ones though) I still absolutely LOVE to answer the whuffo questions. I can immediately tell if someone is interested/open or if they think I'm crazy/stupid... I just don't entertain the latter... screw 'em. For the most part, when plugged with questions, I go on to talk about safety features of my gear, i.e. reserve, reserve pack-jobs/cards, cutaway system, cypress etc. However, there are tons of people out there that will think you are absolutely nuts to jump out of a plane and there is NOTHING you can tell them to think otherwise.. I say screw 'em.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!