pop

Tandem Cutaway

Have you ever seen the tandem "decision tree"?? Holy shit - how many ways can you die!

No I haven't but I think I would find it quite educational, not to mention humorous in a macabre sort of way. Do you know where I might view one online?

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Granted it wasn't a tandem jump, but our very own DZ.COMer konradptr has a cut away today after a line over on a jump that I was on. But I'm happy to report that all is fine and his reserve is supposed to be repacked tonight and he'll be jumping tomorrow. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I took a friend of mine out to Spaceland for his very first jump today. They had a lineover and had to cutaway. It scared him up pretty good. I don't think he will ever jump again. But at least he gave it a shot.

Brought my nephew out for a tandem,same deal.Puked in freefall(the second freefall).Seriously doubt he will go again.Got some good video of a fun jump and some priceless stills of after the jump.

dropdeded
pcss#26
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Yeah, but that doesn't sound like fun.

Ah see that's your problem. Someone told you doing tandems was supposed to be fun! C'mon now, you've been jumping long enough to be able to recognize when someone's screwing with you, haven't you? :P

Although two or three front loops out the door can be an awful lot of fun...;)

Depending on the type of main it's kinda hard to make that mistake. Plus...you usually don't have plain old "packers" doing tandems at most DZ's. They have a bit more experience so that type of mistake is pretty rare

It depends on the DZ, the type of canopy (the RWS 6-grommet slidered EZ canopies tend to have more mals due to being effected by packers more easily) and especially the packers.

I've seen some packers I wouldn't trust my worst enemy's main canopy to packing tandems, scarey. Then I've seen packers like the ones we have at Aggieland that are meticulous, almost to fault, worried not just if the tandem opened right, but if it was on heading, and nice and soft. (yeah, yeah, I know, I'm talking shit, since I'm the main tandem packer at Aggieland)...:P

Basically it all comes down to the packers and if they give a shit or not. Some are like me and they truely do try to do their best every single time, no matter how busy it gets, others are just happy the canopy came out of the bag.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Basically it all comes down to the packers and if they give a shit or not. Some are like me and they truely do try to do their best every single time, no matter how busy it gets, others are just happy the canopy came out of the bag.

I think you're right on there Dave. The dz I did tandems and packed tandems at went for well over a year without a tandem cutaway - unfortunately going that long without a tandem chop seems to be rare. All of our packers packed the exact same way (we were jumping all F111 421's and 500's and we all flat packed), and all of the packers were very concerned with how their pack jobs opened.

Being a bit anal and taking a lot of pride in your work is important when you're packing for money. I think it's even more important when you're packing for students or tandems.

*AD doing the I'm happy I got something right today dance* :P

Lisa, remember how bad my pack jobs looked when I was at Eloy back in May? You'll have to look again in a month, they're sexy neat...:P

I think I'm going to go get my dz.com shirt screened with "will pack for boobies" on the back before Eloy...:P

If I pack for you at Eloy, won't I get introuble since I'm not a "signed" packer? hmmmm? B|

Besides... you didn't think I intended to pay for the pack jobs, did you

I'm pretty foggy here, but I'm trying to remember the point of packing with out a 5-spot dangling in front of my nose...nope, can't come up with an answer, I guess I'll just have to sit here and stare at the screen...:P

You know, I'm sure we could work out some sort of *payment*:o:P

hehehe

I'm trying to remember the point of packing with out a 5-spot dangling in front of my nose...

The fact that I'm female and nice to you doesn't rate eh? ;):P

I'm sure we could work out some sort of *payment*

Okay. How 'bout if I stand in front of you while you pack and give you an occasional flash of "The Rack"? Would that get me free pack jobs?

NO???

Aw, c'mon, it's only a Spectre 170, it's not like it's some big huge thing.... And the container really isn't that tight....

Some how, maybe its just late and I've had a frustrating day, but having "big huge thing" and tight container all in the same post has me smirking...ok, Dave has now reverted back to Jr. High Dave...hehe, boobies...

I remember packing for Lisa at our little Paso reunion boogie with no strings attached. No boobies, money, or sexual favors. Just because she's the bomb! In fact if Dave doesn't beat me to it and other regular packers are too busy I'll help pack your rig up even though it's so damn huge...:ph34r:

By the way I have had two tandem cutaways. One where I blew out the main and the only reason the student was a little nervous was because he could feel my heart beating rapidly on his back, and another that was pretty much a spinning line twist kinda mal. Student was cool with it...

Eric Butts (one of the Colbalt team fliers who lives and jumps in H-town), had a tandem cutaway where before he cut away he yelled in the tandem's ear: "Oh, Christ, well its either you or me, I choose me" and cut away, then deployed the reserve. I wish I could have seen the look on the tandem student's face!

We've had them at SD ATL before. Dennis had one the jump before I did my level 3 tandem with him. At least I know he knew what to do to fix it. It was a perfect bowtie. The video was rather cool too since they did the slow motion so you could watch it flip through.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Tandem Masters rock. I've been shooting tandem video for a while and I just got over how amazing and complex that setup looks in freefall. The giant rig, handles everywhere, drogue vibrating like mad, TM flying thier body like mad to compensate for the screaming epileptic siezure clamped onto their belly.

Oh, man. And then there's the landings. "I SAID GETCHER LEGS UP!" They are incredibly fun to shoot.

I've seen half a dozen tandem cutaways (I haven't video'd any). The most recent one the student knew what had happened, and went back up within the hour to do it again.

This is kind of funny:

When I did my 2nd tandem jump, my aunt decided to come to the dz to watch. Well my tandem master and I were last out of the plane. Once under canopy, we could see that someone was using their reserve, obviously a cutaway. Anyway, my aunt is on the ground and she is hearing all the skydiver's saying "there's been a cutaway". So she's thinking to herself that one of the tandem students was "cutaway".

Anyway, I guess you had to be there, but we certainly had a good laugh about it.

BTW, the skydiver, did locate his main and all was OK.:)

A couple of years ago we had a woman out doing a tandem to celebrate her 50th birthday. She had an entourage of at least 20 people -- maybe more -- with her. Sure enough, with all her friends and family on the ground watching ... they had a malfunction, and cutaway! Before long, there were a coupl;e ambulances on the scene near where the main canopy floated down ... I don't think, however, the passenger realized there was anything unusual going on until they were on the ground!