Jessica

Would you do a temporary cutaway?

In a way I do that almost every summer what with all the traveling to the different boogies. It's a great way to spend the summer. I have a van that's just big enough for me and all my junk.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

i'd do it in a new york minute, if only i could. unfortunately i have to keep working to maintain, and financially i couldn't hold up not working. but, one day. if everything goes well for the next 5 years, i'll be living in that trailer and laughing the whole time!
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Heheheheh One great way to convince yourself that you should cutaway and keep jumping for a summer or two is to ask a bunch of skydivers if ya should.

If you are in a situation where you can ignore the "real" world and devote a summer to have to yourself and your jumping why not? You can wait until later to buy a house and start paying huge mortgages and not having any money. People take longer amounts of time off to go hike the application trail... I'd rather take a summer jumping... go for it.

...or a career position to grow?

Ah, that I do have. :S

But I plan to change employers soon anyway, so I figure that maybe it won't matter if I skip a beat -- or a summer -- in there. Maybe I can put on my resume that I spent the summer researching a novel.
Skydiving is for cool people only

People take longer amounts of time off to go hike the application trail... I'd rather take a summer jumping... go for it.

You mean the Appalachian Trail, right? Funny... I'm hoping to take a few months off work in 2005 so I can through hike the Pacific Crest Trail.

But, I've already got the "I cutaway for skydiving" t-shirt. ;)

I spent my 23rd summer backpacking through Europe. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything, but it did take a while to get back on my feet after I got home. I had a very supportive mother who did not mind me living at home with her while I was looking for work, temping and trying to figure out what to do with the "rest of my life....."

If I could figure out a way to do it now without facing bankruptcy or financial ruin, I would definately spend a summer in my trailer at the dz! But things like that get a lot harder as you get older! Now I look at tthings like mortgage payments and health insurance, and I realize I am sort of a slave to a steady paycheck and benefits!

I say do it now, while you are young and you don't have kids! Especially if you don't think you'll have any problem finding a decent job when the summer is over!

maura

But things like that get a lot harder as you get older! Now I look at tthings like mortgage payments and health insurance, and I realize I am sort of a slave to a steady paycheck and benefits!

Hey, I'm over 45 and I do the travel thing almost every summer. I don't think age has anything to do with it. Just pack away enough money that will make the mortgage payments and etc.......

I say do it now, while you are young and you don't have kids! Especially if you don't think you'll have any problem finding a decent job when the summer is over!

I have kids too........but I admit, they are older and take care of the house while I'm gone. ;)

Just plan for it, and do it, you'll love it. But like any vacation, it's nice to get home.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I kinda did that. Right after I graduated college, I quit my job at the go-kart track and worked as a packer while looking for a 'real' job. I loved it, but wouldn't recommend it to somebody looking to live at the DZ and party/jump all day. If you wanna work your ass off and get the odd jump every once in a while, it's a pretty sweet gig
I got nuthin

Jess -

Why not? Is there any real reason (perception of other people does NOT count) that would prevent you from taking some time off during the summer and dz-ing it? If there is a real reason, kewlio. If not, again, why not?

As to the researching the novel, absolutely. Perfectly good explanation as to the "hiatus".

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I say go for it Jess! I'd do it in a minute, if I could. Three years and counting, before I say "damn the torpedos" myself. I'll be 43 when that happens.

I really envy you (not in a bad sorta way though). To be in your position, and able to seriously consider this at your age would be to own the world! Go have fun...the world will be here when you get back.

Greg

PS- a postcard would be nice.

Why not? Is there any real reason (perception of other people does NOT count) that would prevent you from taking some time off during the summer and dz-ing it?

Well, I suppose it depends on your definition of a "real" reason.

The main one is money. Not having been exactly a bastion of financial responsibility in my 26 years on Earth, doing this would leave me pretty much broke. And, there's no way of knowing how quickly I could find a "career" job again at the end of the summer.

On the plus side, my mom has promised I can go be a bum at her place if I end up homeless, and I have some pretty great friends who wouldn't mind my couch-hopping for a while.

It would take a pretty significant paradigm shift for me to be OK with all that, though. I don't like having to depend on other people.
Skydiving is for cool people only

you only live once

read a stor of a woman applying at a hot new york ad firm, put axe thrower on her resume, boss says at interview, "you must have brass balls this big, to put that on your resume" she replied "didn't you her them knockin on the way in" got the job, today makes big Ad money

fukin go fer it

don't forget to post boobies pix k ?B|:ph34r:

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

It would take a pretty significant paradigm shift for me to be OK with all that, though. I don't like having to depend on other people.

O.K., so that I understand. How about keeping tabs on what you're "borrowing" from folks (i.e. a night on the sofa, etc.), and later, once you've re-established yourself in a new job, buy them little things, like j/t or movie passes, for every night you slept on their sofa and used their potty? That way, it's a whole lot less "depending" on them.

What is depending on really mean, though? Does it mean "if you don't buy me dinner, I won't be eating tonight?" or does it mean "I could buy top Ramen for dinner tonight, but since you've invited me for burgers and beer, hell, I'm on my way!"...?

You are a highly skilled editor, and you would benefit any paper you chose to work on. How hard would it be, honestly, to get another position? A week? Two? Three? 6? Is there a way you can set aside some funds for that time period? And is there somewhere you can stay for that time period?

Sure, it's really really scary, moving into a new position. But if you don't look at it now, really consider it, and take the 6 months ahead of you to prepare for it, I don't know that there will ever be a "good" time. I'm 37, and I made the career switch right before I split with my ex. I could've gone back to secretarial, or I could keep charging ahead, looking towards the rest of my life. And although it has been hard (at times impossible), leaving him and staying with the career switch was the best - and scariest - thing I'd done to that point in my life.

Financial security is a good thing, Jess, don't get me wrong. But when the need for security costs more than the value it brings to you, then is it worth it?

And the last thing I can contribute is:

The old phrase comes to mind: very few people regret going on adventures when they're old. So when you're 80 years old, will you regret not summering at a DZ and/or having that adventure? Will you wonder "what if", "maybe if I had", "I wish I"... If not, don't bother. But if there is the possibility of regret, then jump out the door and fly, baby, fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Hell yeah i would!! Infact i have a plan. I finish school around the end of 2004, around halfway through 2005 i should have enough money to travel and then i'm goin jumping all around the world B| Visit a few friends in different places..coupla road trips across america and europe B|

I say if ya wanna do it then do it...you only live once so why not have a blast while ur at it B|