skygirlpc

What kind of long johns are best?

Hey!
Since I live in Florida this is a subject that I have no experience with. But, it does get cold here and I need something to layer under my jumpsuit. I was considering ordering silk ones, but I was wondering if some thermals from Wally world would work just as well (they would be at least half the cost). I need something thin that will layer easily!
Thanks for the help!

Danielle

I went to a Sporting Goods store and got the kind that skiers use that has the fabric that pulls mositure away from your body, so you're not wet under your clothes if you do happen to sweat a little. Of course, I don't pack so I don't really know why I was worried about that anyway.:P

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Berglene --- polypro --- from EMS. Can be found at EMS.com. not advertising here. just IMO the best stuff around. Silk is pretty good too. matt

that is the BEST stuff I have found to date (hot chillies on chicks aren't bad either). I've tried many, but the ones from EMS totally rock.

Cotton for layering = bad idea. holds water, which acts as a heat conductor, which makes it worse later. Wool does keep it's thermal properties when wet, but it itches like a bugger.

I have some that are wool on the outside, with polypropylene on the inside; doubleknit. They are very warm and comfortable.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

the wool is too bulky for some applications.

These are as thin as the waffle-weave ones; anything that needs less bulk probably should be applied with a spray can, and not to me ;)

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Being as I get cold so easy, I would suggest going with the polypros. The silk ones work well too. Stay away from the cheap cotton ones, if you sweat, they will just stay wet. The polypros and silk are thinner and will be more comfortable under clothes with a jumpsuit. The secret to staying warm is to layer, that allows warm air to be trapped in between the clothes, keeping you warmer.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I wear a pair of fleece Polar-tech pants, available from Mountain Equipment Co-op or other camping or hiking stores. http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=479769&bmUID=1042579331772

Underneath a pair of jeans, I am literally hot, even on frigidly cold days.

I have never found anything that compares. These are 'da bomb.

If worn these in temperatures as low as -35.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Ive got some poly ones-military surplus stuff. their not too bulky and do really well. I cant wear them if it gets over about 45F. Others wise I have heard great things about the underarmor.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Another vote for UnderArmor. Be advised, there are different styles and types of material. I chose coldgear. I feel deeead saaaaxy in them.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.