skybytch

Owww..... (a whiney thread)

I did something to my right shoulder a few weeks ago; don't know what exactly but it hurts, it's not getting better and it's driving me freakin' nuts!

It's fine when I get up in the morning, but by mid-day at work the shoulder is throbbing and everytime I reach for my mouse or type on the keyboard my thumb and forefinger go to sleep - kinda irritating considering that 90% of my job involves typing and moving the mouse around.

ltdiver (who's a physical therapist)looked at it on Saturday and told me that it's likely just a muscle thing; she showed me a few exercises to strengthen it but they aren't doing a damn thing for the symptoms...

I don't handle pain or discomfort well... I'm well on my way to becoming a raging bitch and it's not even 2 pm yet. My poor co-workers... they're just thankful I'm not PMS'ing today too!

That's all; just wanted to whine a bit. Thanks for listening. ;)

Sorry about the shoulder thing....

I want to whine too! It's been crap weather for three weeks now, I just got a new canopy that has only been in the air once, and its cold. Blah.

Next?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Could it be old age:$ I did something to my shoulder back in October. I was really hurting while I was there doing all those jumps. I thought it was because I was sleeping in different beds and doing lots of jumps in a short time frame. Even after getting back home and sleeping in my own bed and no skydiving, the shoulder was still hurting. Went to the doctor and he ordered six weeks of P.T. After three weeks the pain was worse. Went back to the doctor and he gave me a shot of something right in the shoulder. (sorry, can't remember what it was, and even if I could, I'm sure I couldn't spell it.) Shoulder is great now, it's allowing me to sleep through the night, and that makes me very happy. Stick with the P.T. and if that doesn't work, get to the doctor and yell for some good drugs.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

np sb, I'll listen to you whine any day, rather than actually work ;) I'd just like to point out how neglectful we all are of our bodies - I am no exception. I work out every day, and make time to get enough sleep, but I don't make a special effort to do things like massage, chiropractic, yoga, etc, that cost money and time, but are definitely worth it. Massage would probably help you with your shoulder - you can probably arrange some sort of barter trade with the massage person at your DZ.

Heck - sounds to me like you should have Viking rub your shoulder - I think he owes you :P If you can arrange to get a rig for my g/f (she's a CMT), I'm sure she could help you :)

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

After three weeks the pain was worse. Went back to the doctor and he gave me a shot of something right in the shoulder. (sorry, can't remember what it was, and even if I could, I'm sure I couldn't spell it.)

Sounds like Cortisone. Remember south park's lessons though:
"Drugs are bad, mmmmKay"
I hope your shoulder gets better SB.
Peace,
Thomas

Sounds like Cortisone. Remember south park's lessons though:
"Drugs are bad, mmmmKay"

Yup, that's it. I know drugs are "bad", but the shoulder feels so good now. Doctor said that if the pain comes back in four to six weeks, the next step is surgery, but I'm not ready to go under the knife again. I'll just get another shoot and wait till next winter for surgery.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Lisa, ask your boss for an ergonomic evaluation of your workstation. (All claims like this for my division go through me). It's cheaper than a single worker's comp visit by you.

Cheap and easy fix is a Fellows wrist rest, with a gel pad, and a roller ball mouse, like the Microsoft trackball optical. By setting your wrist down and not lifting the weight of your arm to move the mouse, you will allow the injury to heal. Bring a heating pad in and heat the injury a few times a day too. Tendons don't get much bloodflow, and that's what you need to heal up. (I just learned this from a doctor's visit regarding my knee).

The corizone injections will reduce the swelling, but don't promote healing unless the muscle is allowed to rest.

It is a worker's comp injury, so get the boss to spring for the wrist pad and new mouse, he'll save a lot of money by making you more comfortable.

JP

It is a worker's comp injury, so get the boss to spring for the wrist pad and new mouse, he'll save a lot of money by making you more comfortable.

Considering the hours I spend on the 'puter at home I couldn't ethically go work comp on this. I could easily be irritating it further with my setup at home; hell, the original problem could be related to my home setup.

What's wierd is the pain didn't really start until after I added a new mouse pad with the gel wrist rest at home. The roller ball mouse is a good idea; I'll make a run to Staples on payday and get one for the house. But I'll have to figure out how to make one of those (which come with the round PS2 style plug) work with the silly serial port plug on the work machine...

Bring a heating pad in and heat the injury a few times a day too.

That's very doable! Just need to figure out where I put the heating pad that I used for my back.:S

But I'll have to figure out how to make one of those (which come with the round PS2 style plug) work with the silly serial port plug on the work machine...

I just got one for home, and it came with the round plug with a serial port adapter.

But I'll have to figure out how to make one of those (which come with the round PS2 style plug) work with the silly serial port plug on the work machine...

While you're at Staples, just ask the local geek to find you an adapter. They're cheap, common, and work fine.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

While you're at Staples, just ask the local geek to find you an adapter. They're cheap, common, and work fine.

_Am

I've found that's true for the serial to PS2 adapter, but have had nothing but problems going the other way.

http://www.fentek-ind.com/ergmouse.htm

Dare ye goes!

Edited to add: The roller ball (trackball) mouse is a nice start, but it's only temporary. Your wrist will still be in the position that is un-natural.

I like the Renaissance mouse, but wouldn't refuse the Finger Track Mouse either.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Thanks for listening.

Who said I'm listening???:P J/k Lisa, you know I love ya! Sounds like it may be time to go see the sawbones. You may need some anti-inflammatories and pain meds for the healing process. Hope you feel better.

G.

WOW, i have the same thing.......
My whole arm and hand will go numb.
I know it from poor body position at the comp.
It has been gettin worse, i mean it happen all the time now...
I just dont want it to happen at pull time...:D:D:D

HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE