phatcat

When did people get so scared of nature?

It just popped into my head :S.

I think it's funny, I'm not sure why. Some people need a whole kitchen to prepare good food, others are just fine roasting dead animals over a fire. Some people can sleep in the woods with no problem, others don't like to be outside after dark.

Seriously, WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE???? If you go to the grocery store and pick out some chicken breasts,packed on a styrofoam plate and sealed with plastic, and bake them in the oven, how is that ANY different than cutting up a fish or deer or whatever you just killed and cooking it over a fire? Are the chicken breasts' you just bought zapped with some sort of ray gun that makes them fit for the consumption of civilized people?

And sleeping outside - when exactly did sleeping outside of wood and brick houses become a novelty? Are you safer in a house? Safer from what? Is the boogyman going to have a hard time breaking you're glass windows and crawling inside? Seriously - is it a psycological thing or what? If it is then something must be wrong with me because I felt completely safe the last time I was in the middle of nowhere in a tent.

I'm frustrated. I just don't know what the hell is wrong with people.

Camping became a novelty in the 1920s, "car camping" was pioneered by Henry Ford and some others. Colmen came along with his design for a lantern also. It declined in the 1930s (great depression, duh), and picked back up very quickly in post war America.

Personally, I LOVE camping. Shit, last spring break I spent 5 days doing a solo back packing trip in Big Bend National park.B|

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Seriously, WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE???? If you go to the grocery store and pick out some chicken breasts,packed on a styrofoam plate and sealed with plastic, and bake them in the oven, how is that ANY different than cutting up a fish or deer or whatever you just killed and cooking it over a fire?

ummmmm....it's easier, maybe?:P

I'm frustrated.

any particular reason why? did someone wimp out of a camping trip or something?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

there is nothing wrong, is what they being taught, it is what they've got programmed in their head from life and parents, and friends and movies and family and all.
If you are a native from the cannibal tribe of los mostros come cesos, you will never know that eating human flesh is wrong, because that's how you were raise (spelling?)
That's my thought.
Cielos Azules
Pablito

"If you don't overcome your fears they will overcome you first"
Shady Monkey/6Segundos Rodriguez/AKA Pablito

>Seriously, WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE???? If you go to the grocery store
> and pick out some chicken breasts,packed on a styrofoam plate and
> sealed with plastic, and bake them in the oven, how is that ANY
> different than cutting up a fish or deer or whatever you just killed
> and cooking it over a fire?

Packaged chickens don't run around spraying blood all over your clothes after you kill em, and they're a lot faster to cook.

>And sleeping outside - when exactly did sleeping outside of wood
> and brick houses become a novelty? Are you safer in a house? >Safer from what?

Rain. Cold. Snow. Bugs.

I like camping - I just spent two days 10 miles from the nearest paved road in the desert - but it can be a lot of work. It's nice to hear rain start and not have to leap out of bed to get your pack under the rainfly.

Seriously, WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE????

I'd say there is a rather vast difference between buying parts of an animal that has already been killed, evisicerated, and packaged to killing, gutting, and butchering one yourself... how many gals, or guys for that matter -- particulatry the ones who live in suburbia, have the desire, need, or knowledge to hunt their own food...??? NOT MANY!!!!! Any way, food service industries provide jobs for many people ... no need to take work away from them...

Personally, I LOVE camping.

Me too! When my kid was small (3-4 years old) we used to go "car camping" almost every weekend. Haven't done much of it since I started skydiving though.

But that's about to change... if my evil plan continues to unfold properly, I'll be backpacking all over the So Cal wilderness areas this summer and next - and the long term goal is to do a thru hike of the California section of the PCT during the summer of '05. :))

Anyone got any used backpacking gear they want to get rid of? I need a sleeping bag, a tent, and a stove...

Point to ponder. Put a child in a room with a banana and a bunny.

The child will eat the banana and pet the bunny every time.... (and you thought I was going elsewhere with that thought:P)

Are we supposed to feel the urge to Strangle it and rip it's guts out?
Hmmm...

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I'm not suggesting that everybody should buy a bow and move as far away from the city as they can. I'm talking about attitudes, that's all. I just think that too many people seem to have a lack of perspective in things that are going on now. Like the things going on now are any different then the shit that's been going on for thousands of years.

But, then again, of course it's different. The people going through it are alive NOW, not thousands of years ago. So that makes it different I guess.

Don't take that seriously :P

You were clear. You just encouraged my brain come up with that for some reason :)

I agree with you whole heartedly. I love hiking and camping and wondering if there are scorpions are going to crawl into the tent. I think were safer if we get out more often rather than breath the processed air and so on.

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Camping is to sleeping in a house as skydiving is to riding in airplanes.
Some of us need to feel the wind in our faces, while others are terrified of wind.
I am trying to psych myself up for a kayak camping trip on Easter weekend. Last year it rained all weekend.
The rain will be easy to deal with compared with the mountain of gear my girlfriend wants to bring. I don't even know the names of half the things she wants to bring!
I suspect that her need for lots of "stuff" is based on insecurity.
Comments?

Do what my grandpa does on our not quite annual trips to Colorado. We leave the truck at the gate and hike/horseback about 10 miles up into the mountains. He tells whoever is coming that we can bring X amout of stuff, but anything above and beyond the necessities we carry ourselves. Not the horses, not someone else, just us and the extra shit. Always seems to work ok, too.:)

Truman Sparks for President

Camping's a blast! Especially when you have to bath in the lake, cook over an open fire, sleep in a tent...hmmm....sounds like fun to me. :)

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Yeah. I love camping. I can't wait to go this year - once it warms up by about 40 degrees. I love cooking on the open fire, cooking marshmellows, and having a few beers. Total relaxation.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

Honestly my idea of roughing it is when Motel 6 forgets to leave the light on for me. I have only been camping once when I was a child and I barely remember it. I've taken my girls with the Girls Scouts but we took EVERYTHING with us and camped at a place with "facilities". Heck the teenagers brought curling irons etc for the morning. I've never had the opportunity to go play in the woods. I don't know what is poisionous or what you can eat. I sue as heck don't know how to catch and kill it so I can cook it and eat it. That doesn't make me bad. If you judge my worth by what I can kill and cook you are sadly in need of an awakening.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

One difference is that in the past more people lived or grew up around farms. Now most people grow up in cities with all the amenities. To many who grew up around malls, grocery stores, and movie theaters, camping is missing too much that they are used to.
-----------
Ready, Set, Gooooooo

Josh, I get what you mean. I do. There's like this illogical detachment from the gathering process which now entails forking over cash in order to avoid the savagery of killing something yourself. Camping is the difference I guess, it nicely divides those willing to get back to the roots of humanity from those who have been conditioned, or choose to pretend we're above all of that. I mean, yes, some people just never had the opportunity to get out there and experience it, and that's a matter of conditioning, and environment, but to those who really feel the urge inside them to get back to nature, they get there. They save, they spend, they do what they have to to escape for a while.

I camp often, from winter camping when I can, to kayaking trips, to just heading to an island and chilling out there. I grew up basically in the woods, and continually feel called back to them. I've had some scary times out there, but not cuz it was dark, or I had to gut the fish I caught, but because of bears or wolves. But I'll keep going back, just gotta be smart out there and the rewards are endless. I actually for 1 year, devised a plan to escape to the wilderness on northern BC, for 6 months on my own in the Mitchell mountain range. I used topo, GIS, sat/aerial imagery to pick a good spot, came up with an access route with bearings, distances, etc. Did terrain modelling to avoid areas which frequently slid, and positioned the camp in a place where I could sleep in in the mornings and enjoy a nice evening sunset, by the mountain lake. I mean, conceptually, this place is _perfect_ and sometime, when I just gotta get a way...
The plan was to bring food, and an axe, gps, med kit and flares. That's it, and stay up there for 6 months. Build my own shelter, gather my own food (I'm vegan) etc. I had (have) this sucker worked out to a tee.

It just popped into my head :S.

I think it's funny, I'm not sure why. Some people need a whole kitchen to prepare good food, others are just fine roasting dead animals over a fire. Some people can sleep in the woods with no problem, others don't like to be outside after dark.

Seriously, WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE???? If you go to the grocery store and pick out some chicken breasts,packed on a styrofoam plate and sealed with plastic, and bake them in the oven, how is that ANY different than cutting up a fish or deer or whatever you just killed and cooking it over a fire? Are the chicken breasts' you just bought zapped with some sort of ray gun that makes them fit for the consumption of civilized people?

And sleeping outside - when exactly did sleeping outside of wood and brick houses become a novelty? Are you safer in a house? Safer from what? Is the boogyman going to have a hard time breaking you're glass windows and crawling inside? Seriously - is it a psycological thing or what? If it is then something must be wrong with me because I felt completely safe the last time I was in the middle of nowhere in a tent.

I'm frustrated. I just don't know what the hell is wrong with people.

I don't expect professional butchers to come and teach my advanced engineering classes on their days off. Why should I want to go out and kill and butcher animals on my days off?

I just don't get your point. (And I really like camping)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

No one is saying you should, just that people should be as capable in either method, (paying or killing the animal themselves.) I always said to my friends, that if I ever go back to eating meat, it would only be from the animals I kill myself, so I can show some respect to the life I'm taking. The fear of getting your hands 'dirty' seems weak to me. Like take all 16 year old North Vancouver girls and ask them to kill/clean/butcher their own meat and the vegan population would go through the roof, but why? I mean, oh my god, the blood, the guts, the horror, the trauma right?! The reason for that, is because people have disassociated the final 'product' form the source. Start switching in COW in place of BEEF, and PIG in place of HAM. I strongly feel that if the majority of the population were better educated on the meat industry, alot would begin to choose to opt out.
But how are your hands any 'cleaner' by paying someone else to do your dirty work... I don't know but this is something that has always played on me as well.
I guess I'm saying that I'll respect the willing more than the unwilling, even from a vegan's perspective.

Yup, I drive by a nice ranch and see some Angus walking around, I get hungry. I'm in the woods and see a large buck walking around, I get hungry. I am educated on the meat industry and I still LOVE eating it.

"Vegetables are what the food eats..."
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

No one is saying you should, just that people should be as capable in either method, (paying or killing the animal themselves.)

Why? You jump out of airplanes. Are you capable of designing an airplane? If not, don't you think you should be? Why leave the hard work to someone else?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.