CanuckInUSA

Tax deadline (in the USA)

I'm kind of surprised to see that very little has been mentioned concerning this all important hated topic. But for those living and working in the USA, our tax returns are due tomorrow.

I just completed my Federal tax return and discovered that I was under paying through my employer all year long and now owe the IRS $1000. >:( Oh well, I still pay less tax here in the USA than I did in Canada. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

AND, since money now is always better than money later, you've actually worked this out just about right.

Seriously. It may not "feel" like it, but it's better to have to owe $1000, than to get it back as a return. Unless of course, you've already spent the $1000. Then it kinda sucks.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Had I know ahead of time that I owed $$$, I wouldn't have been in shock. But since I waited until the last minute (my fault), it was a bit of a surprise. :o I was actually kind of hoping that I would have owed virtually nothing and been owed virtually nothing (like previous years). Now I do have the $1000, but it's money that was supposed to stay in my bank account instead of going to pay Uncle Sam. But I guess Uncle Sam has a war to pay for, so I better cut him a check tonight. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Don't know who he is, and I can't find it on snopes.com, so I guess it's true:
Income tax returns: the most imaginative fiction written today. Herman Wouk

While I'd agree that I've given the gov't an interest free loan:S, I'm first to admit that I'm not disciplined enough to save up to pay my tax:ph34r:.

I sent in my 1040 (IRS income statement filing horseshit for those who'd give a rat's ass) and I'm getting back $972:).

Now if I could only explain to my wife about that new Infinity...:ph34r:

Your not the lone procrastinator...I'm mailing mine in today too. I owe US$257. Yuck. My buddy just got married last year and got SINGED .... no .... SCORCHED by the marriage penalty, so I feel a bit lucky I guess.

I hear somebody is proposing moving tax day closer to election day. Anyone hear anything about it?

Vinny the Anvil
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

I'm kind of surprised to see that very little has been mentioned concerning this all important hated topic. But for those living and working in the USA, our tax returns are due tomorrow.

I just completed my Federal tax return and discovered that I was under paying through my employer all year long and now owe the IRS $1000. >:( Oh well, I still pay less tax here in the USA than I did in Canada. :)

I did my taxes in early February and had a check in my hands before March. :P

BTW, you can file for an extension (which you are almost guarenteed to get) if you don't feel like cutting a check right away.

well, just got off the phone with the IRS.. Seems that my 99 return where they disallowed my exemptions was their fault... They're sending me another 1400 bucks ;) Talk about interest free loan...

Oh, I filed for this year 2 months ago..
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Seriously. It may not "feel" like it, but it's better to have to owe $1000, than to get it back as a return. Unless of course, you've already spent the $1000. Then it kinda sucks.

You got it....
I hate the thought of giving the government a intrest free loan...B|
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

Well since Uncle Sam sees me as a poor single mom working hard and raising two children, I got a bunch back. Also, my tax lady found some mistakes on past years and I got even more back:)
Are you sure your heel is well enough to jump? Take it easy and listen to your body.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

BTW, you can file for an extension (which you are almost guarenteed to get) if you don't feel like cutting a check right away.

You are guarenteed the extension but if you owe the payment is due on april 15. The extension is to file not to pay.

--TB
Welcome my friends to the show that never ends.

You are guarenteed the extension but if you owe the payment is due on april 15. The extension is to file not to pay.

And that means that you pay penalties and interest as well.

Anyone ever try online filing??

I just did my taxes on paper. The IRS website has an option for FREE online filing, but I don't qualify for it (you have to use the 1040 EZ form, but I can't because I'm a homeowner & so I itemize my deductions). Then they have all these links to private companies that have tax software, but I think they all cost money to use, so this year, I'm gonna do it the old-fashioned way & mail it in.

But for next year, I might splurge. Can anyone recommend good tax software? Did anyone file online, and how did it go?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any man: for thou regardest not the person of men.

17. Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not?

18. But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites?

19. Shew me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny.

20. And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription?

21. They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.

22. When they had heard these words, they marvelled, and left him, and went their way.

Matthew 22
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."