homer

Another rig & airline question

I have checked both United and Continental web sits for rig info and found Continental allows sport rigs as a carry-on. I couldn't find anything on the United site. I have emailed TSA about this airline and there policy but have not received anything back yet. So who has flown these two airlines and what experience did you have. I'm more concerned with United. Has anyone flown from Spokane, WA or Houston (Bush), TX. Did you any problems with TSA at either airport?

CSA #699 Muff #3804

You know, I just got my renewal for my USPA membership today. I think we should all start prodding USPA to lobby heavily with TSA. This "individual results may vary" crap is boring. Needles and USPA need to get a standard approved, and TSA needs to communicate it through the organization. That will be my next letter I think...:|

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Off the subject about rigs. I read somewhere on the forums about how some Nat'l Guard patrolling some airport somewhere got stopped and had his swiss army knife confiscated at the checkpoint. Then his M-16 was given back:S.

So maybe if you wore your BDUs, they'd have absolutely no problem.:ph34r:

Anyway, I think United is pretty cool about rigs as carry-on (at least that's what they told me when I called). It's too bad their prices were nowhere as competitive as Alaska (duh?!:S), but these guys prefered that I check my rig (oh well:D)

edit: It was last year and the trip was to Anchorage

I'll be damned if I check my rig it's going as a carry-on with me unless it will keep me from flying . I've seen how they handle luggage I don't want those cock nockers tossing my rig around. They'll probably lose the rest of my checked gear as is.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

You have that right....
I mean WTF why cant the "supreme TSA" just say yes or no. whats this crap about leaving it up to the tsa employee at the gate....
Thats so lame and goes to show how it was slapped together with out proper planning...
I mean hell they could just ask the airlines, is it cool or not and leave it at that...
LOL....
Here i go and i have never been bothered by them other than ALWAYS wanting to look in my carry on, it's funny, now i just laugh as they walk to me carrying my bag....:D:D:D

HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

cock nockers

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The last time I rode the airlines, they made sure that my check-in luggage was unlocked:S. Now I have an old hard suitcase with a busted handle that I've since turned to good use for my rig. But can you imagine leaving it for these morons unlocked?

Ooh... What's that on the x-ray? Looks like a circuit board, batteries... Maybe we should take a look. Ohh... Maybe if I pulled this pin it'll open. And out pops my reserve pc.>:(

Ooh... What's that on the x-ray? Looks like a circuit board, batteries... Maybe we should take a look. Ohh... Maybe if I pulled this pin it'll open. And out pops my reserve pc.

And I hope my PC busts there dumb ASS in the nose.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

I just flew from SEA/ONT and back on Southwest, at both places my checked luggage was inspected and then i was allowed to lock it. I went thru the trouble (not much really) of asking about parachutes on the flight down and SW gave me a ticket sized sheet saying sport parachutes and airtech Cypress were allowed carry ons..

didnt need it in either place so far as i could tell (and i looked) the TSA didnt even blink when my rig went thru the X-ray so i dont expect you'll have any issues no matter how you travel with it..

the TSA is getting better about things..

Where did you find the info on The Contiental web site? I just looked and could not find any info. Is there something you can get off the USPA site also?

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.
-BASE 1605 Night BASE 227

I used continental with my rig as a carry on all the time; post and prior federal security. Continental sticks to the FAA list which does not list it under the prohibited items, so there shouldn't be a problem. The federal screeners actually did stop me and made me show it to them. Once they saw it was my rig, they fully understood that they could not open it.
Just be sure that you have it inside a bag or something, they don't want you scaring people in the plane. That was their only request when I called them the first time.

Has anyone flown from Spokane, WA or Houston (Bush), TX. Did you any problems with TSA at either airport?

I've flown out of IAH (Bush Intercontinential) twice since 9/11, and didn't have a problem carring on my rig. If you have a problem, show them the airlines policy for carry-on of sport rigs. If that doesn't work, ask for a representive from the airline. Remember, the airport security doesn't work for the airline.

Hook

just flew on continental with my cypress equiped rig from salt lake city to houston to columbus ohio and the same back... had my riged exrayed both times at each airport (got to get that smoke in on the layover) and they didn't even blink at my rig... thought they were gona give me shit about my helmet with ring sight on it but they didn't even say anything about it either....... good luck with your trip.....

"Did you any problems with TSA at either airport?"

I flew in and out of Bush (flying international and domestic) a lot last year, took the rig as carry on about 6 times with no problems. I flew mainly with BA and KLM, but did a couple of domestics with Continental.
Just arrive in plenty of time, check any knives in as hold baggage, and be prepared to smile and be polite to the nice security people.B|

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I flew United recently and didn't have a problem. They made me open the gear bag and explain what it was, but noone asked about the Cypress, etc.

The airline you're flying with really doesn't make a difference anymore. Security used to be hired by the airline but it's not anymore. The screeners go by federal regs, not by airline rules. At one place they said "Oh, a parachute, I just read something about these." Went and looked through some paperwork, then came back and let me go.

Contact USPA and they will give you the Letters from the USDOT and the Airlines.
I didn't have any problems with mine
CIelos Azules
Pablito

"If you don't overcome your fears they will overcome you first"
Shady Monkey/6Segundos Rodriguez/AKA Pablito

Well, the little thing you get from Southwest that Zenister mentioned actually says that parachutes with a Cypress (yes, it's misspelled) are approved by the Department of Transportation as checked or carryon items...the only thing that says southwest is the watermark on this printout.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

We had a skydiver strip-searched a few weeks ago. However, remember that:

1- Operation Iraqi Freedom was getting started
2- 'Code Orange' terror alert
3- Flying out of Washington/Dulles
4- Rig as carry-on
5- Middle-eastern descent

They still let him fly, but he had to check his rig. Just keep it in a bag and don't say anything at the checkpoint unless they ask. Post back if you have any problems so the rest of us know.

I've flown Comtinental, Delta, Airtran, and Southwest with my rig pre and post 9/11 with no problems. Continental and Delta have info on their website under baggage rules. Continental's is under sports equipment. Continental also has all this published in their FAA approved inflight manuals. Southwest has the Parachutes and Cypres thing also published in their manuals as they were the airline responsible for getting the Cypres approved in the first place. I have flown out of IAH and Hobby with my gear with no problems. Flew America West in January and only had a minor problem coming back out of Palm Springs that was settled by a TSA Supervisor lady who knew that parachutes with Cypres were OK etc. I even wrote the TSA Director at Palm Springs with my concerns etc and got a nice letter back from him. USPA and TSA have been working on a cooperative effort to make our travelling as hassle free as possible. Their training syllabus for their screeners should already be updated with a blurb about parachutes and Cypres etc.

Chris

be prepared to smile and be polite to the nice security people.B|

Better to be "grey", or as nondesript as possible, so that attention is never drawn to you in the first place.;)
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."