flyer299

Should I move to Detroit, MI?

I lost my job at the end of Feb this year. I have been doing enough contract jobs to stay a float. Well, I was just offered a job yesterday that I really want to take, but it might require me to move from Austin, TX to Detroit, MI. I really don't want to move. Although the job is perfect, the pay will be on par, there isn't a relocation budget.

I own a house in Austin, and if I were to sell it, I would take a loss on it, since I just bought it less than 2 years ago.

Plus if the job thing doesn't work out, there are even less oppertunities in Detroit for Web Developers than there are in Austin, TX.

I am going to try and work for him from Austin, but would you move if you were me?

Do you have to sell your house if you move? Why can't you rent it out?

For me, I'd want a done deal before I'd move, and for a decent amount of time.

Could you talk them into a relocation allowance? How much do they need you?
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

If heaven aint a lot like D troit, I don't wanna go. If heaven aint a lot like D troit I'd just assume stay home. Send me to Hell or salt lake city.....

Uncle Cracker

Troy Michigan is cool. Detroit is thugalicous. just get a gun and shoot stars and blimps like everyone else out there. out there on the east you can see this thing called: Fall. thats when leaves on trees change colors and get all golden and sunset red colored then, finally the leaves die and fall off the trees. and you can rake them into piles and put them out on the curb for the city truck to come and suck em up. you can also drive through these piles of leaves and make a big plume of leaves fly up behind your car. just be warry of rouge bricks and cinder blocks in said piles of leaves.

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

Haven't heard a lot of good things about Detroit dude....actually, I haven't heard ANYTHING good about Detroit from anyone I know - they all hate it.

I'd stay in TX. It doesn't snow there like it does up North. You'd miss Lone Star beer and you know it.

:)

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Dude, I would soooo stay in Texas, even if you do live in Austin.:P

Seriously, though, Texas has a great record with coming through econimc problems and the job market is much much larger then in most states.

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Well all... The delima is over...

I made a counter offer to the guy and basically said, I take a little less salary, but I ain't moving to Detroit. He thought about it and called me an hour later and did the deal. So I now have a job were I get to work from home, get paid, and get to travel from time to time. I will be traveling between Austin, Detroit and LA. I bet I can find some good drop zones around there.

Thank you all for you advice, I felt bad telling him I won't move, and I thought it was going to cost me the job, but it didn't!

Blue Skys all!

Good for you! The best of both worlds and you get to build up your frequent flyer miles for those really important skydiving trips. I would never move to Detroit. Based on the weather, cost of living and crime rates, I could think of a few hundred places I would rather be. Good luck!

Good for you! The best of both worlds and you get to build up your frequent flyer miles for those really important skydiving trips. I would never move to Detroit. Based on the weather, cost of living and crime rates, I could think of a few hundred places I would rather be. Good luck!

Kate, you're letting the horror stories affect you too much. I admit I felt the same way when offerred a real good job there, but I worked it to my advantage.

I got a nice pay raise, $1200/month expenses and a monthly round-trip to Montgomery (home at the time). I could use the trip or have Lynn come to Detroit -- after a very short time, we decided to have Lynn come to Detroit most of the time. Between the theaters, the great restaurants, great golfing and other activities, we loved it. Sure there were places we didn't go after dark, but those were in Montgomery, too.

My only regret after a few months was that I didn't take the job sooner; Lynn even got a T-shirt that read "I'm So Bad, I Vacation In Detroit!"!

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?