GARYC24

GETTING IN SHAPE

It's week 2.
I got body fat measured last night!
29.4 % body fat!
I'm kinda sore, no visual improvements, yet!
I feel better than I look, tho! haha
The 4 CRW jumps from 12.5 this weekend
was most inspirational to continue increase my intensity level at the gym! the 3rd landing I was a foot stinger,,slowed me down on the treadmill!

They wanted ~$900 for 18 session of personal trainer
or 4 1hour sessions $62 ea...that was inspirational
to NOT get one! hahaha
I hope I see a big difference in the next 2-3 weeks!
Gary Calhoun

The best investment you can make is a Tanita Body Fat Monitor scale.

Because it's not how much you weigh, but how fat you are. It's reassuring to know that you are gaining weight, but losing fat. An ordinary scale shows you gained 5 pounds, but the body fat monitor shows you that you lost 8 pounds of fat, even though you may be 5 pounds heavier.

There are other brands out there, but I've had my Tanita for about three years, and it's been the key to getting the fat off and keeping it off. Another easy benchmark is your resting heart rate. Before you get out of bed in the morning, check your resting heart rate. As you get in better shape and lose weight, it'll drop.

Gary, don't forget to reward yourself... When I was motivated to loose weight, I set a goal and "earned" a reward every 20 pounds..... That was two new jumpsuites and the AFF course (yep, a little over 60 pounds)....

Laurel.... I mean a reward for LOOSING 20 pounds....:S J/K...

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

YOU DO NOT NEED A PERSONAL TRAINER!!!!!!

I did it all on my own. Just keep your eyes and ears open and absorb the info. I got a few gift certificate for trainers over the last 2 years and personally - had I paid for them I would have been pissed. Maybe do a few to get some ideas but you don't need them - sorry to any of your trainers out there - but that is some serious jump money and I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT.....Be strong grasshopper.

Another tidbit - don't weigh yourself but once every 4 weeks and get someone to do your bodyfat at least every month. You look at yourself every day - you won't see the changes but if you are eating right and exercising THINGS are happening. Don't give up NO MATTER WHAT......

Good luck! BFL believer!

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Dammit! Why didn't I ever run into you in high school then? We'd have done just fine together. ;)

Yeah, it's fine, we'll walk down the line. Leave our rain, a cold trade for warm sunshine
You my friend, I will defend... and if we change, well, I love you anyway

Alright, which model would you recommend? Some of THESE are fairly cheap, and some of them are going for a helluvalot. I don't want to buy one of the cheaper ones and find that it's not very accurate, and I don't want to buy a more expensive one and learn later on that I wasted $40

DISCLAIMER: I am not a dietician or personal trainer. The only effective method of long-term weight control I have found successful is discipline, diet, sweat, suffer, and SUCK IT UP. And yes, I spent a good portion of my young teenage/adult life as a fatty.

Having said that, here's a few things I've learned over many, many years of constant fighting to maintain weight (your opinions may vary):

You need to make it a part of your daily life for the long term. That means finding a gym or studio near your house or on the way home from work, not out of the way so you can use that as an excuse.

A good mix of aerobic exercise and weight training is essential. Try to do 2 or 3 hours of weights and another 2 or 3 of aerobic exercise. If you can't do anything else, get out and powerwalk. I mean swing-the-arms-work-the-heart powerwalk, not a beach stroll. You don't need to collapse on a treadmill to get in shape.

This take a while, so be disciplined and don't give up.

Class aerobics are quite fun and challenging. I hate running in place or climbing a ladder that goes nowhere and working with a group keeps your morale up. The scenery can be nice as well. Stretching is very important. If you learn some yoga poses and do them a few times a week you will be amazed at how challenging, physical, and rewarding it is.

Take a good look at the other guys in the gym. See the ones grunting and swinging the weights around? Don't be like them. Any monkey can grab a weight and throw it around until something snaps. Pick a good weight that you can control for multiple full sets of 10 or 12 reps without throwing it around. The last two should be very challenging. I personally have gotten much better results with slower, controlled, disciplined movements.

There is no magic diet. Eat healthy and eat often. Mix in the treats (a small pack of Oreos or M&Ms a few times a week) and you won't be deprived or get too many cravings. Unlike the Atkins/Hollywood diet/magic fu-fu dust things that work short-term, this is a long-term disciplined solution.

Did everyone catch that? Just in case you missed it the last three or four times, discipline.

And lastly (god, I can't believe I'm saying this), cut out most of the beer until you get in shape. Yes, yes, I hear you booing but it helps A LOT.

THat's great Gary!

I just started myself. I need to drop the 40 pounds gained during recovery from an injury. I've never been this fat, or this unfit. But now that I'm physically able to run again, I'm out there trying to work up to a quarter mile. It's embarrassing, but I have to start somewhere, right?

Keep us posted on your progress!

edit to add: BFL is incredible -- I lost just over 20 pounds in 2002 that way, and I ate everything in sight on my free day :$. I was in the best shape of my life then. Good tiimes...

-betsy