AggieDave

What should I read?

I need a book to read. Since I have 10 days till the new Harry Potter book comes out, and not only have I finished the books I was reading, I've even reread a handful of books I like.

I was leaning towards a military book of some sort, not necissarily fiction, I love the non-fiction stuff. Real people, real events. Although I quickly glanced at the military books while in Barnes & Nobles today, I didn't see anything that really jumped out at me.

I'm not opposed to reading something besides military stuff, though.

Actually, I was sort of thinking about reading Silence of the Lambs (I've read Red Dragon) or maybe one of Criton's (sp?) books (I've read the time travel one, Jurrasic Park and a couple others of his and loved them).

Just please help, I've got 10 days till I know I'm getting a book and I don't like going with out reading.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Depends on what you like, myself I like fantasy and preferebly series but here goes.

Not knowing what you have read before of course and worth reading in my opinion:)
Outragous stuff: anything by Douglas Adams (SF) or Terry Pratchet (Fantasy)

Fantasy: Raymond E Feist, Magician (there are about 15 more from him if you like that one); Robert Jordan, The Wheel of Time series

Serious: Robert Jay Lifton, The Nazi Killers, really blew my mind away, about the medical killing done in second world war Germany.

/M

I love Douglas Adams and have read most of his works.

Ohhhh, Nazi Germany...now that peaked my intrest, I'm going to have to go look for books on that. Most all of the stuff I've read about Nazi Germany were history texts (I'm a history buff and a history major in college), so some historically accurate stories/novels would be fun.

Read 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett, its a take on The Omen. It will be right up your street, then start on his discworld books, should fill the gap until the new one from JKR arrives.
Just don't take them seriously.;):D
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I was leaning towards a military book of some sort, not necissarily fiction, I love the non-fiction stuff. Real people, real events. Although I quickly glanced at the military books while in Barnes & Nobles today, I didn't see anything that really jumped out at me.

I think I've got just what you need: why not read a book about special operation forces? My personal favorites are the Navy SEALs. I'm fascinated by unconventional warfare, by how much the spec-ops can accomplish, operating in small groups and being stealthy, etc.

I'm currently reading "Seals in Action" by Kevin Dockery. You may want to check out other books by Dockery and Hans Halberstadt, they appear to be authorities in this question. Another title that comes to mind is "Never Fight Fair". And you probably want to check out the well-known book "Rogue Warrior" by the most celebrated SEAL of all times - Richard Marcinko. (the last two books I haven't read).
Hope this helped.

Stuff I like:
Anything by Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 5 part trilogy, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, or Last Chance To See)
Donald Jack Bandy Papers - That's Me In The Middle, It's Me Again, ... (Canadian. WWI infantry officer who joins RFC. Hilarious.)

Clancy's stuff, although I've only read parts of a couple of his non-fiction stuff. I didn't like the stuff other people wrote under his name like Op Center.

Harold Coyle wrote a bunch of good military stuff starting with Team Yankee (WWIII scenario from the POV of an armoured team commander). Some of it's passé, some farfetched, some a little close to reality, but all a good read.

Crichton - Airframe is excellent.

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

Rogue Warrior" by the most celebrated SEAL of all times - Richard Marcinko

Read it.. Infact I've read the first 4 books probably 5 or 6 times apeice. They read so damned fast its not hard to do when you're bored.

I'ave also read Seals in Action, as well as a good handful of other Navy Seals books.

I've read all the books on Marine Snipers, as well as all the books on Marine Corps Force Recon (some of them more then a couple times). (at least all the books that were available when I was reading them a couple years ago.)

I've also read a good handful of books about the SOG and about US Army Special Forces.

the Marcinko novels do read really fuckin quick.. done in a day... spent more than one night tearing through his crap in my lazy boy....

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

I've read all of Clancy's "main" works, a few of them more then once. Like you I couldn't get into his non-fiction or his psuedo books (the ones ghost written).

Interesting fact: the husband and wife CIA duo in his books are based on real people, they now teach at Texas A&M University. I've had the pleasure of listening to him (the real guy) speak on more then a few occasions, to say he's a hero would be an understatement, as would be to say that his stories and speechers were only ok.

Another side note: Through conversation I've learned that he HATES Clancy, he says that Clancy publishes classified info in his books (even though its fiction), that he pays insiders for info and he's still miffed that he was used in his books (even though it was a different name, the exploits are the same).

Or just do what I am doing and read the 4th Potter again...

I just reread all 4 books this past week...basically b/c I'm excited about the 5th book and I wanted to be freshly reminded of everything so I'd be fully ready for the 5th book.

Ok, I know, I'm a dork.

A dork that loves to read and reads a lot.

Read 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett, its a take on The Omen. It will be right up your street, then start on his discworld books, should fill the gap until the new one from JKR arrives.
Just don't take them seriously.;):D

hey! Neil Gaiman had a good bit to do with that book too...;)
and i always recommend his Sandman series...comic books that will change your life...

"The Rhinemann Exchange" by Robert Ludlum (c) 1973 Bantam Books. You'll love it.

WWII era fiction. You won't be able to put it down. In fact, don't start reading it if you have to wake up early for work the next morning.

Here's a taste:

The man stared at Spaulding. The elevator buzzer was incessant now; voices could be heard from above and below.

"I'd prefer not to have to kill you but I will. Where is Tortugas?"

Suddenly a loud male voice, no more than ten feet from the enclosure, on the sixth floor, shouted:
"It's up here! It's stuck!! Are you all right up there?"

The man blinked, the shouting had unnerved him. It was the instant Spaulding was waiting for. He lashed his right hand out in a diagonal thrust and gripped the man's forearm, hammering it against the metal door. He slammed his body into the man's chest and brought his knee up in a single, crushing assault against the groin. The man screamed in agony; the body went limp, the revolver fell to the floor, and the man slid downward against the wall.

Spaulding kicked the weapon away and gripped the man's neck with both hand, shaking the head back and forth to keep him conscious.

"Now you tell me, you son of a bitch! What is 'Tortugas'?"

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

maybe one of Criton's (sp?) books (I've read the time travel one, Jurrasic Park and a couple others of his and loved them).

Hey Dave, I've read most of the Michael Crichton books as well. Here are my fav's (at least the ones you didn't mention)

The Terminal Man
Sphere (My fav)
Congo
Rising Sun (Awesome who-dun-it story)
Disclosure

I've read the time travel one

What was the name of this one? I don't seem to remember this one. It has been a while since I read any of his books.

"hey! Neil Gaiman had a good bit to do with that book too..."

Yep your right, its early morning and I hadn't had my coffee hit then.B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Hey Dave here’s something a little different, The Hungry Ocean by Linda Greenlaw. I just finished it and loved it. It’s a book about fishing, deep sea sword fishing; a pretty thrilling tale about life at sea. Think the prefect storm without the storm. In fact the lady captain portrayed in the perfect storm is none other then Linda Greenlaw herself. Quick read defiantly worth it.

.:skip

The Name of the Rose" by Umberto Ecco is a nice read. I was just thinking about rereading it today.

Pretty all over the place though but it is a good book. If you liked that then you should definitely read "An instance of the Fingerpost" by some bloke. Very interesting and cool style.

CJP

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people