Ah, Sh*t! Getting Layoff Notice!

Well, it's finally official. The supv unit called me in and told me I'd be getting a WARN notice effective this Friday.:(

I have been prepared for this, however. I have been considering my options, and now that it's a done deal I will be examining those options in depth.

One thing I plan to do is take a f*in' vacation.

I've only had five or six days off at a time, usually around the Holidays or the WFFC, since I left the Feds in August 1997. I think I'll take a couple of weeks.

I'm sure gonna miss working for Boeing - best job I've ever had. [:/]
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Damn, now I feel like a complete shmuck for my earlier post! [:/]

Sorry to hear this dude.

Yeah, it's fine, we'll walk down the line. Leave our rain, a cold trade for warm sunshine
You my friend, I will defend... and if we change, well, I love you anyway

Well....welcome to the U.S.A (Unemployed Skydivers of America), and don't feel bad, everything happens for a reason, I'm sure your next job will be MUCH better.

I used to work for a large Corp. too, and believe me, I know my next job WILL be better, it's just matter of time, for now, just relax, enjoy a few days off, clear your mind and post-whore like crazy...that always helps. ;)

You're lucky to be getting out of there before the place goes under. I've been laid off from Boeing (Everett plant) for more than a year, second layoff in 10 years. The bastards won't ewven give me a job reference - it's a termination offense to give references at Boeing, you'll find out about that. Life outside of the Lazy B is beautiful. You'll like it.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Were you working in Tukwila?

Nah. Everett and Bellevue.

Hope you get a new job soon.

me too. B|

A sixer of Arrogant Bastard Ale to you,

Vinny the Anvil

:)

Thanks! I won't be able to afford AB for a while, but when I am in a new gig, I shall celebrate.B|

Are they going to give you a package of some sort, or will they just kind of suggest you quit coming, and tell you that they can't do anything else because if Santa Claus comes you'll get your job back? Hopefully there will be a package, or at least some sort of relocatio assistance. Take advantage of everything you can, including any interview skills classes and the like -- I'll bet it's been a long time since you've looked for work!

And good luck. They suck, you don't :)
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You're lucky to be getting out of there before the place goes under. I've been laid off from Boeing (Everett plant) for more than a year, second layoff in 10 years. The bastards won't ewven give me a job reference - it's a termination offense to give references at Boeing, you'll find out about that. Life outside of the Lazy B is beautiful. You'll like it.

Yep, IBM does the same thing, no references. He should just be glad he is getting a warning, because usually they dont have that much respect for you. You come in to work one day, and SURPRISE, you no longer have a job as of yesterday. Thats what most of them do, and some dont even allow you to go back to your desk and collect your things.

Yep, IBM does the same thing, no references. He should just be glad he is getting a warning, because usually they dont have that much respect for you

That's true, also 'soda' companies behave like that, I didn't get a warning.

Yep, IBM does the same thing, no references. He should just be glad he is getting a warning, because usually they dont have that much respect for you

That's true, also 'soda' companies behave like that, I didn't get a warning.

...and they always expect you to be some kind of 'angel' while they screw you every which way but loose

Are they going to give you a package of some sort, or will they just kind of suggest you quit coming, and tell you that they can't do anything else because if Santa Claus comes you'll get your job back?

Well, there is a 60-day period between notice and dismissal, and things could change. For example, at the Paris Air Show today, Emirates announced that it was leasing 26 777-300ERs in a $2.5B deal (but they made a $7B deal with Airbus, the f***ers >:(), and the stock is up, along with the Dow. The company will need engineers to help build those planes, and they'll need applications consultants like me to help them, so...:)

Hopefully there will be a package, or at least some sort of relocation assistance. Take advantage of everything you can, including any interview skills classes and the like -- I'll bet it's been a long time since you've looked for work!

I've been interviewing as recently as 18 months ago, so I'm not out of practice, and up until last year, I stayed pretty sharp by being on my feet in a tech classroom most weekends.

However, I intend to take every advantage of the system that I can. I've been working continuously since I left the USAF in 1985. Time for a vacation, among other things.

And good luck. They suck, you don't :)

Thanks, but they don't suck, honestly. The company has been fabulous to me for six years (3 as a contractor, 3 permanent). I know my managers wouldn't be whacking me if there was any way to avoid it. Not only that, their necks are on the block too!

...and they always expect you to be some kind of 'angel' while they screw you every which way but lose

What I've learned is that when the 'Big wigs' pat your back, they are doing it not to congratulate you for your efforts but to look for a soft spot where to stab you later on.

Start you own business! Greatest thing/worst thing you'll ever do - sort of like having kids. When things are great you'll feel like you've had something to do with it, when there bad you'll feel the same.

You do loss the right to blame everything on management, and if you try and blame everything on your employees you'll be out of business fast, but your in charge and nornally the last to be laid off!

Good luck.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Start you own business! Greatest thing/worst thing you'll ever do

I did that for 10 years. The first 3 of them I moved onto my 36' boat and ran the business from there. When business picked up I bought a boathouse that served as an office and workshop. Some of the years I did fairly well and others SUCKED. BUT eventually I got tired of chasing people down to get paid on time. I decided in late 1999 to just go to work for a big company that would pay me on a regular basis and actually have some benifits. I now have health insurance and paid vacations and a whole bunch of things that I skimped on during the years I ran my consulting business. I may make less on a yearly basis but in the long run I will come out ahead.

Amazon

Amazon

welcome to the U.S.A (Unemployed Skydivers of America)

I wanted to call it Skydivers Between Jobs but I didn't like the acronym. :)
Enjoy the time off while you can. Good luck on the search when it begins.

BSBD
Larry - where the heck are all the low hours high paying jobs - Hinson
'In an insane society a sane person seems insane.' Mr. Spock

It's a matter of perspective, I guess. My former manager has rampant leukemia, and goes to sleep at night wondering if he'll make it til the next morning. Kinda changes one's perceptions.