Vallerina

Hey runners! I need some advice!

I want to enter a race!!! I've never been in one, so I'm not really sure about them....I'm a bit nervous.

Here's the lowdown: I want to enter a run/walk 5K that's coming up in two weeks where they donate money to pets. I usually jog on a treadmill 3 miles 3 times a week with an avg time of just under 27 mins. I don't have proper running shoes, and I haven't ran on pavement in almost a year. I also haven't jogged in about 2 weeks. Am I ready for this? I know I have the option to walk, but I'd feel pretty proud of myself if I could jog the whole thing.

Also, I need to figure out the best placement for my water boy! Should he hold my cup of water at the halfway point?

Another question: do you think Phreezone should enter, too? :ph34r:
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

You can DO it! But you might want to consider a decent pair of shoes for pavement running, as it's a lot harder on your joints than the relatively soft impact of your treadmill...

Some organized races have water available on the course, you might check with them, and have one less thing to worry about. Try it though, it should be fun, and the worst thing that could happen is that you'll end up walking part of the course...

oh yeah, make phree run with you!

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

5k is about 2.5 miles BUT
running outside is different then running on the gerbil wheel.

not sure of your climate but for 2.5 miles you shouldnt even need water. hold it at the end if you can

you got two weeks to condition yourself. DO IT.
buy GOOD SHOES They are worth 10 times what you pay if you are serious into running.
and yes MAKE PHREE join you

EDIT" actually I think 5k Is closer to 3 miles.
My photos

My Videos

>Another question: do you think Phreezone should enter, too?

No. PhreeZone should not have to be around Vallerina for that long unless he really wants to. :D 27 minutes with Val is a lifetime of pain condensed into just a few minutes.

Besides, Phree really should'nt do anything more then sit on the couch. B|
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

when you think you can't go any further, imagine a grappling hook shooting out of your chest and anchoring 50 yards up ahead. pull yourself to your grappling hook and repeat as neccassary..

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

27 minutes with Val is a lifetime of pain condensed into just a few minutes.

Well you wouldn't really be around Val. She'd be too far ahead of you. :P

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

when you think you can't go any further, imagine a grappling hook shooting out of your chest and anchoring 50 yards up ahead. pull yourself to your grappling hook and repeat as neccassary..

that has got to be the strangest way to self motivate that I have ever heard...but hey, If it works for ya!:o
My photos

My Videos

You can DO it! But you might want to consider a decent pair of shoes for pavement running, as it's a lot harder on your joints than the relatively soft impact of your treadmill...

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Yes, I think the deciding factor if I enter or not will be if I can hit New Balance next week sometime before the race. My $15 Wal-Mart pair is probably hurting me.

running outside is different then running on the gerbil wheel.

That is my biggest concern. I don't have to push myself on a treadmill, I just increase the speed. I've never tried doing that for myself.

not sure of your climate but for 2.5 miles you shouldnt even need water. hold it at the end if you can

I think it's 3.1 miles, and yeah, I've never needed water until after jogging, but it is July, and I don't jog in that warm of climate.

27 minutes with Val is a lifetime of pain condensed into just a few minutes.

No, not really. Twenty-seven minutes with me is quite entertaining. I can dance and hold my beers at the same time. I have a certain charm when meeting strangers while playing the boobie game. I also have superior skills when it comes to drinking games that make all around me watch in awe.

Actually, I think a better motivator will be my water boy standing at the finish line holding a donut for me. Imagining eating that donut is the best motivator out there! :D Actually, I can never eat after running. Maybe he can motivate me in another way :)

Hmm....maybe I'll try to jog around the Munster High School track tomorrow. It'll give me a better idea of my time.

I'm hoping to find someone to pace myself with, but that may be difficult to do. Hmm....

Also, I've never raced before (what I did in middle school doesn't count), so does anyone have any tips? As in, should I eat beforehand (I'm thinking I'll at least have an apple or something)? I know I'll need a good night's rest. Any good motivation tips?

it worked ok on mile 13 of the Tokyo imperial Palace marathon..... i got out of running for a year, and concentrated on Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Now I'm running again, and concentrate on the sound of naked wet bodies make when crushin this irish blonde I have this thing for...

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

edited to add: I really want to see this chicks boobies pinwheeling on my mattress, and I want to keep em there... so i've been out running 8 miles a day.....

and concentrated on Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Oh! That's a good idea! Instead of a water boy, I'll make him my beer b****! He can hold a bottle of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout for me! Although, I don't think a beer will sound too great after running.

The biggest thing for you will be to buy some real running shoes. Take teh advice from the sales people at a running specialized store. It will pay for itself many times over.

5k is 3.12 miles.

I have found that running on the street is easier than running on a treadmill. PLus when runing with a group, you will enjoy the people around you and the running part will be easy.

GO FOR IT.

Phree should go too B|

I think th estreet is easier too but im not sure about the group running.
Im wishy washy with it. I can use the support sometimes but others I feel its a distraction.
once I get INTO running I zoneout into it so I dont like trying to keep a pace with anyone...I gradually get faster throughout the entire run.
its wierd
My photos

My Videos

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Yes, I think the deciding factor if I enter or not will be if I can hit New Balance next week sometime before the race. My $15 Wal-Mart pair is probably hurting me.

$15 Walmart shoes probably aren't good for you on the treadmill either. In long run (pardon the pun), really good running shoes will save your feet, knees, joints etc.

Not that you can afford/have time to try all the different brands of shoes before the race, but over time, try the different brands to see which work best for you. Over the years I have tried Nike, Reebok, Saucony, New Balance etc and have found that I really favor Asics. But everyone's foot is different, and has different needs.

If you are pretty consistant with your running schedule, try to budget for a new pair of shoes for every month and a half to two months. Running shoes do break down after a while, and you will notice the difference when you get a new pair.

Matt
A well-informed person is somebody who has the same views and opinions as yours.

val.. 5k isn't that bad... i ran cross contry in high school and our course lenght was 5k, i sucked so bad, hell i smoked then too... i could run it in like 21 min at my best...and that was slow!!!! 27 minutes and you could almost walk 5k........go at it.. have a good time........ maybe if you knew there was a little kitten atthe end that would be killed after 22 minutes that would help.. i bet we could get phree to help ya on that motivating factor........ ya might even have a few minutes extra if his imagination isn't up to speed by then.....lol...

I don't have proper running shoes, and I haven't ran on pavement in almost a year.

I wouldn't run another step until I got the right shoes! I found out the hard way that shoes are probably the most important running necessity (unless you like running barefoot).

I've been training for the Cape Cod Marathon in Oct - my first - so we'll both run our first races! Good luck!

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

I wouldn't run another step until I got the right shoes! I found out the hard way that shoes are probably the most important running necessity (unless you like running barefoot).

you may need at least ONE left shoe too:D
My photos

My Videos

Can't you just call a cab ? ;)

I have an idea for a motivation.....

Goes like this,

You go buy a gun, a big one 357 magnum, something really big....rob a convenience store, and just start running........

No, seriously, I think is great that you are doing this, so definitely some training and the right equipment will help, but don't forget that the race is not to make the first place, so don't kill yourself, just try to finish it at your own pace....
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon