airtwardo

Kids & DZ..Question for parents

Got a personal question for ya...The wife and I disagree.

Do / would you take your kid / kids to the dz alone?

Not a comment about 'unsupervised' ankle biters, mine have been around avation all their lives and know the rules...

My concern is if they're at the DZ with only me, and I should get..."hurt" :o

What about them? :|

My honey seems to think it's no big deal, and since I've been jumping for 27 years..."WHAT COULD HAPPEN?" :S

Your thoughts?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

First, I have no kids.

Given that they are aware of dangers, etc. at a DZ and behave responsibly, I don't see why they shouldn't be there. Exposure to skydiving (or other sports) at a young age can only help them grow. As for you getting injured, if your DZ is a friendly place most people will probably know your kids and would help out in such a situation. I certainly wouldn't leave them away from the action solely due to a fear of you getting hurt.

Just my USD$0.02.

Cheers...

Bob

Yes, I know it is snowing.
No, we are not putting the top up.

I think its great to have kids around the DZ... I just think DZs should build appropriate play rooms for them.

I'm thinking of a 10 x 10 shack, 1 door with a very good lock, no windows, plenty sound insonorisation, if you have some funds left maybe a bunch of these balls kids seem to like. Oh, I almost forgot, a couple of air vents... we dont want to be cruel to the little angels....>:(
Remster

I agree on most of that...

( 'Hurt' isn't what I'm really worried about) [:/]

They are all between 11-12 years old...

I would just feel more comfortable if Mom came down too...

I could just be being over protective I guess.

I've taken my son out to the DZ, but not by myself. Although he is old enough, I wouldn't want him to be by himself if something went wrong. My sister only lives 5 minutes from the DZ, so he can stay there while I'm jumping.

i agree other peoples kids are wonderful, but keep the out of my lines...

personally i prefer a less 'family' enviroment, I hate getting 'glares'from parents because i come down amped from a jump and use words they dont want their little ones to hear..

if you bring them, control them yourself (or make arrangements with someone who will) and remember this is dropzone, an activity primarily for adults, so expect adult situations or just wrap your spawns head in duct tape so they wont observe anything you dont like ;)

I think its great to have kids around the DZ... I just think DZs should build appropriate play rroms for them.

I'm thinking of a 10 x 10 shack, 1 door with a very good lock, no windows, plenty sound insonorisation, if you have some funds left, maybe a bunch of these balls kids seem to like. Oh, I almost forgot, a couple of air vents... we dont want to be cruel to the little angels....>:(

Oh for sure!
I even bring my own locks and chains...
...that's not my point!

...by the way-
Can't have air vents...not sound proof then! :D

My concern is if they're at the DZ with only me, and I should get..."hurt"

What about them?

My honey seems to think it's no big deal, and since I've been jumping for 27 years..."WHAT COULD HAPPEN?"

I do not have children, but this sounds a little strange to me. (I am assuming that she doesn't jump.) Are you saying that your wife wants for you to go to to DZ with your kids, but she is not going, as well. Are you divorced or seperated? What does she do when you are at the DZ all day with your kids? Why don't the kids stay with her for the day if she doesn't want to go to the DZ?

Wouldn't it be great if the kids AND your honey could be there with you, as well? A weekly family trip to the DZ sounds like it could be major amounts of fun...maybe you can find a way to convince her to give it a chance. :)

*** Wouldn't it be great if the kids AND your honey could be there with you, as well? A weekly family trip to the DZ sounds like it could be major amounts of fun...maybe you can find a way to convince her to give it a chance.

I guess I should have been clearer..
Mom is an airline pilot for a major...she's on the 777...
Which means internation flights...which means she's gone for 1/2 the month...
She's also a marathoner...again, gone to races all over the country.
She's made a few tandems with me, as she's also an aerobatic pilot and we thought knowing how to pull a ripcord may be a good thing for her.
She comes to the dz when she can...but I never seem to get there enough because I don't like to go w/ the kids alone...

It's finally coming to a head...I say we get a nanny or at least an overnight babysitter...:)She says take 'em with ya... v[:/]

depends a lot on the DZs environment. I've only been to 1 DZ so far, but I would trust leaving my kid there in the care of the people that regular there (if I had a kid).

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. I was confused by this:

I would just feel more comfortable if Mom came down too... I could just be being over protective I guess.

I thought that she didn't want to go with you. My apologies...:$

I have a friend that's a commercial airline pilot, so I understand what you mean about being gone. You two do need someone to help. Being pre-teens is exactly the age when they could begin to get into trouble if not properly supervised. I do not think that you are being over protective at all. You are just being a good dad. :)

***I'm sorry if I sounded harsh

No not at all...
I'm just frustrated by not being able to go jumping as often as I'd like...

We have very kid friendly DZ's here in Texas,
and the kids love going.

Again, just wondering if I'm overly concerned.
Just wondering what others do... :|

I have 3 children. 2 daughters: 13 & 16 and 1 son: 18 months old.
The little man loves airplanes and canopies but I'd never let him out of my grasp.
My daughters are bored shitless because there is NOTHING for them to do. They asked not to go "until they can jump also". Fair enough.
Ages and interests make a BIG difference.
As far as me "going in" or swooping myself into the "spirit world", I've found that I do NOT take ANY little chances when family is around.
As far as kids around and making others uncomfortable to be themselves at a DZ?,
It a DZ and who ever is there should be prepared, but NO direct remarks of profanity or crudeness at a child (verbal attack or perversion).
Everything else is fair game.

[QUOTE]As far as me "going in" or swooping myself into the "spirit world", I've found that I do NOT take ANY little chances when family is around. [/QUOTE]

Was this a conscious choice you made or did you just notice yourself one day being a hell of a lot more careful when family was watching?

im interested, because I hope one day to be a skydiver which has sons or daughters. Hopefully someday in the future when/if I meet the right girl :D

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

[QUOTE]As far as me "going in" or swooping myself into the "spirit world", I've found that I do NOT take ANY little chances when family is around. [/QUOTE]

Was this a conscious choice you made or did you just notice yourself one day being a hell of a lot more careful when family was watching?

im interested, because I hope one day to be a skydiver which has sons or daughters. Hopefully someday in the future when/if I meet the right girl :D

I'm always pretty safe myself...

I'm worried about some pinhead handing me the Grim Reapers business card, sans any personal request on my part! :(

My stepkid was at the dz when I busted my leg, he saw everything. It was a brutal landing. He was actually pretty cool with everything. I think it kind of gave him a different perspective on the consequences of your actions, being as I thoroughly explained that I did something I was trained NOT to do(lowturn to land into the wind). My wife on the other hand, she freaked.:S

If the kids are there and God forbid something did happen, I really would expect that the "good" ;)people there(every dz's got em) would handle it. Matter of fact, I cant imagine any dz where that would be a problem.(my opinion);)

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

That "Hey Y'all, Watch this!!"
behaviour left me when I relized my action control the future of those in my life, the day my father died as a result of his occupation.

My concern is if they're at the DZ with only me, and I should get..."hurt" :o

What about them? :|

Well, you kinda made the argument per se. First of all, kids should be supervised anyway away from home.

If you're up in the air, and can trust your kids to behave, great. But are they being "supervised" ? ... not really IMO.

If your kids can't drive themselves to/from the DZ (car, bike, whatever), then, I believe they are too young to "hang-out" at the DZ on a regular basis. The unsupervised ankle biters I see are usually the kids of tandem students making "the jump". Though, it is those kids I most worry about. I see them screwing around on the creepers, or walking around/near the packing, loading, unloading areas and get quite annoyed. There are fairly clear postings about where kids, are/are not allowed at my DZ.

So, in your case, if "something" were to happen, do you have an established plan as to who/when someone would ensure your kids' safety and comfort? Is that person always going to be available? Do your kids know what to do? Are they old enough to be able to carry out those instructions?

If any one of those answers is "No" then you may want to reserve the family outings to when the whole family can be there. :|;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I have 4 kids.2,4,5,9, If i go to the dz alone with any of the kids i do not jump unless i have a adult who says they will watch them why i jump, a person who i know and knows what to do if i were to have something happen. Kids at a dz need to be watched at all times. The dz is not a place to dump a kid and let them go free. if you can not watch them get a sitter or dont jump.

Our S&TA brings his 4-year old daughter to the DZ all the time. It's interesting to see how every person at the DZ is watching out for her, and keeping her occupied while her dad is in the sky. I think if you took your kid to the DZ, he/she would be in good hands.
=========Shaun ==========

I think if you took your kid to the DZ, he/she would be in good hands.

That is the problem, assuming the kid will be ok and that people will watch you kid. It is not others responsibility to watch someone else's kid.

I have 4 kids and they can get into shit so fast you need to be watching them at all times or know who is watching them.

My kids have been coming to the dz with me off and on since they were 6 and 8 ... most of the people there are great with them. The rest of the people are really good with them.

My concern is if they're at the DZ with only me, and I should get..."hurt"

Would it be different that getting hurt anywhere else when your kids are around? If you are not comfortable with them there, then don't take them!

I've brought my neighbor's 12-year-old to the DZ alone; there are several jumpers who bring their kids out alone. I'd say go for it. You can always ask manifest (or find someone) to make sure they have a person with them if you do get hurt. But as long as everyone knows they're your kids, I'd bet that would happen anyway.

If you do take them with you, bring a friend of their (one of theirs) too. You'll be amazed at how it changes the dynamics, and they don't fight as much.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I always said I would never take any of them to a DZ when it was just me.

Well, things change. I spent the day in Omro today, with my oldest daughter (9). She's coming back as often as possible, and may even be coming with to Rantoul.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1